Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike carbs not cutting out
po79

posted on 21/11/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs not cutting out

Hi all,

My megajolt conversion has been a nightmare from start to finish (not that its finished)!!

I put a Zx7r fuel pump on it the other week and it ran for a little while but seized, changed it for another Zx7r pump and this one ran fine and cut out once the carbs were full for a short time but now it just seems to run continuosly and doesn't cut out?

It is still fueling the carbs but I can't understand why its just constantly pumping. Anyone here had this before or know whats happening?

I've got it fused down to 5 amps but I'm worried that this pump is going to burn itself out two (the two have now cost me £80).

Plus the pumps body seems to get quite hot is this normal?

Cheers,

Poe.

mark chandler

posted on 21/11/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like air is getting into the pump, on a bike the pump is always primed by gravity, is the pump on the floor below tank level?
po79

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

Thats what i though to but the pump is as low as it can be and it below the tank level. The only thing I can think of doing is fit the pintos original fuel pump and then use that to feed a tank/reservoir in the engine bay with a overflow return to the cars fuel tank and fit this reservoir higher up in the engine bay to feed downwards to the bike pump but I shouldn't need to and it;'ll make the engine bay look cluttederd

I'll take another look and the fuel lines tonight and make sure they are all sound and run downwards all the away from the tank.

Cheer very muchly,

Poe.

40inches

posted on 22/11/12 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have my ZX9R pump mounted like this,both inlet and outlet run from above, no problems, yet!
Fuel pump mounting, close up2
Fuel pump mounting, close up2

Andy B

posted on 22/11/12 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
It could be debris from the first pump has reached the float bowl needle valves so that even though the floats are uo ie full fuel is still getting past the seat, pressurising the bowl and then making its way up the emulsion tube and into the inlet , thus the pump keeps running
regards
Andy

whitestu

posted on 22/11/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
When mine did this is was air getting in. I also had it mounted in the engine bay.

Check all the connections on the pump / filter etc.

Stu

po79

posted on 22/11/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cers guys,

I haven't had time to have another look at it tonight but should get to have a look over the weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Poe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.