Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: MG802 / UG802 andriod devices
jabs

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
OT: MG802 / UG802 andriod devices

Has anyone experience of 802 android devices that you plug into the HDMI of your tv. These look amazing devices with give you a fully functioning andriod system with built in wifi, just need a keyboard and mouse, for under £50. It would appear the UG802 is the lastest dual core with 1080 dp. Quick look an ebay shows the UG802 only listed from China, not that I am bothered about buying direct from them as have had only positive dealings with Chinese companies on ebay , has anyone experience of these devices or recommend one. Are they as good as they are made out to be. I was thinking of using it for catch up tv such as iplayer/ tv iplayer/4od etc but know some of these cheaper android devices cannot always handle some of the iplayers as the android tablet I have can only handle BBC iplayer. Also do I go for android 4.0 or 4.1 ?
cloudy

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have you looked at a raspberry pi with raspbmc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_r1o_0QfI

J

www.warnercars.com

Slimy38

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
They seem to be pretty good, although the only experience I've had from them is when they pop up on www.hotukdeals.com. Have a trawl through there at some of them, a search for 'android TV' seems to bring up a selection.

As for 4.0 vs 4.1, I didn't see much significant coming in with 4.1, certainly nothing I would miss by staying with 4.0. My Galaxy S2 phone will never see Jelly Bean unless I go via an unofficial route, but comparing it to an S3 running Jelly Bean I'm not that bothered.

There is an up and coming games console based around Android, have a look at 'Ouya'. I am really tempted by one of those, they'll be a bit more expensive but should be great fun.

D Beddows

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
ooooooh - now that is quite interesting, especially with Linux............
jabs

posted on 22/11/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Have you looked at a raspberry pi with raspbmc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW_r1o_0QfI

J

Yep have one of those, but you have to buy a box which are to be honest are c**p plus psu / cables etc. The android thing is more professionally packaged and comes with every thing, plus it is smaller and from what I have read twice as powerful. Also I have read the PI is based on 10 year old technology so the latest versions of linux will not work on it

UncleFista

posted on 22/11/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you only want a media box that will play video over wifi from your server/pc and will play any format, try a WDTV Live.
I love mine, I have 1Tb of video on my PC, the vast majority in HD and it plays it all flawlessly.

I can't help thinking the video quality on a £40 android device might not be the best if you like your HD

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

cloudy

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure where you heard the 10 year old tech thing, but it's decoding VC1 and x264 in hardware, the very latest commonly used codecs
Doesn't matter which version of linux is behind the scenes if it's playing media!

It plays every video I can chuck at it right up to 1080p with 5.1 surround, flawless iplayer/itvplayer etc and live tv from freeview in SD & HD, and all using just 2watts!

I understand a lot of the android stuff has problems decoding some formats in hardware - but support is improving

www.warnercars.com

SeaBass

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cloudy
Not sure where you heard the 10 year old tech thing, but it's decoding VC1 and x264 in hardware, the very latest commonly used codecs
Doesn't matter which version of linux is behind the scenes if it's playing media!

It plays every video I can chuck at it right up to 1080p with 5.1 surround, flawless iplayer/itvplayer etc and live tv from freeview in SD & HD, and all using just 2watts!

I understand a lot of the android stuff has problems decoding some formats in hardware - but support is improving

Yep - same here. Streaming straight off my NAS. Replaced an old desktop connected to the TV. R-Pi is great with Raspbmc.

3 friends all have the same setup too after seeing mine.

scudderfish

posted on 23/11/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
And another Raspberry Pi/Raspbmc combo here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.