Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: No Insurance Punishment
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
No Insurance Punishment

Whats the normal penalty for driving without insurance, my friend has just had the letter

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

JoelP

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
8 points i believe, and a fine.

Why a letter? Cant think how you would be caught that would lead to a letter - they would usually not let you drive off if you werent on the database and it was outside office hours to call and check.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

omega0684

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
6 points, £200 fine

edited: if the car is impounded and the police don't crush it, i would imagine he will need to provide proof of insurance before they would release it, + impound fees too

[Edited on 22/11/12 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
no he had his car impounded, it was recovered and told to wait for the letter

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends on his financial status, he'll be hardest hit if he's a working home owner just making ends meet.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
means tested up to 5 grand apparently.

Did he say how it happened by any chance? Unlucky or intentional?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
it was very unlucky, his mum and dad were looking after the insurance on the car he was using. They were expecting a renewal notice, hadn't recieved one and he got caught after the policy ran out. No defence I know but it was a big balls up and bad luck.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

owelly

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely enough, I know a bloke who has been caught in similar circumstances but he assumed that as he wasn't sure when the policy ran out, he'd be OK if he didn't use the car.... DVLA now talk to MID and send the boys round. He hadn't sent the VED back and declared SORN so got six points and £400 fine.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bad times. Sadly a court wont see that as a defense - but at least if his parents are covering the insurance, the price hike is up to them to cover!

JoelP

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Strangely enough, I know a bloke who has been caught in similar circumstances but he assumed that as he wasn't sure when the policy ran out, he'd be OK if he didn't use the car.... DVLA now talk to MID and send the boys round. He hadn't sent the VED back and declared SORN so got six points and £400 fine.

The car must have been on the road for that - if it was off road then the offense is only to not declare sorn, whereas anyone knows that if its on the road it needs to be insured.

owelly

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
The vehicle was parked around the back of the blokes house so it was in a public place so should have had insurance. The plod had to come looking for it though!!

SeaBass

posted on 23/11/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
The vehicle was parked around the back of the blokes house so it was in a public place so should have had insurance. The plod had to come looking for it though!!

Parked round the back of his house on his private ground? Or parked on a shared area in a development?

owelly

posted on 23/11/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
As defined by the 'Road Traffic Act', it was parked in a public place. It was parked on land owned by the property holders but had free public access.

minitici

posted on 23/11/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming he has not been charged with driving a car without insurance then:
Rules in England, Wales and Scotland

"The rules for insuring vehicles are called ‘continuous insurance enforcement’. They mean that if you’re the registered keeper of a vehicle it must be insured or declared as off the road (SORN).

If not, you could:

get a fixed penalty of £100
have your vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded or destroyed
face a court prosecution, with a possible maximum fine of £1,000

It doesn’t matter who is driving the car - if you’re the registered keeper, you could get penalised.

You will also still have to pay for your insurance on top of any fines received."

If he was driving when caught then the minimum would be a fixed penalty of 6 points and £200.

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/11/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It was parked on land owned by the property holders but had free public access

Mmm thats a grey area isn't it??
My drive often has a sorned car on it and is open to public access. Are you saying the area was a comunal area?? or private. Even so it would not be defined as a public highway surely.?? Any removal of the vehical would be theft in that case. IMHO

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Shared parking at council houses or flats is a no brainer.

The grey area is shared privately parking areas at private flats, the fact we have heard of no test cases or sob stories on the net must imply the private clamping companies who are licensed to remove untaxed vehicles realise they are in a very grey area.

I would suggest anybody in flats with shared parking or even a housing estate with an open plan front gardens put a small but visible sign saying "Private Area no Public Access", I don't know if it would hold up in court but I am pretty sure the private companies wouldn't take the chance.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

SeaBass

posted on 23/11/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As defined by the 'Road Traffic Act', it was parked in a public place. It was parked on land owned by the property holders but had free public access.

That seems a pretty odd response. Would a house driveway with no gate a public place?

Edit: Just found out they have no powers where it's:

within the curtilage of, or in the vicinity of, a dwelling-house, mobile home or houseboat and which is normally enjoyed with it, or
which is within the curtilage of, or in the vicinity of, a building consisting entirely (apart from common parts) of two or more dwellings and which is normally enjoyed only by the occupiers of one or more of those dwellings.

[Edited on 23/11/12 by SeaBass]

owelly

posted on 23/11/12 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
The whole 'public place' thing was brought about to counter the folks who would try to outrun the plod whilst under the influence, thinking that if they got home, they were safe. Or that's what I was told by a traffic cop. He also went on to explain that a farmer can drive around his fields as drunk as a lord as long as the gate is shut. If he opens the gate, the field becomes a public place and as such he can get proscecuted for DD.
There have been many cases where folks have used the grey areas as a defence and as far as the definitions go, it's up to the judge to decide. If the judge says black is white, it pretty much is.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.