Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moped car!!!!!!!!!!!!
40inches

posted on 26/11/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Moped car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good or bad? Can't make my mind up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/20451602
But, fit a ZX12R engine. If it this takes off there will be plenty for sale after the kids turns 17

designer

posted on 26/11/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
We have them here in France and they are a pain on country roads as you can't pass. Ok in towns tho.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ali f27

posted on 26/11/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
just a bit worried at the lesbian range rover haters comments will encourage teenagers to drive too young how do people that stupid get into positions of power
spiderman

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
28MPH top speed! Average speed on the road is slow enough as it is with tractors at 30-40MPH and lorries restricted to 56MPH, would you like to be behind one going up hill?

Spider

designer

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
It's also another way for the well off, spoilt kid, to rub it in the face of the poorer kids!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vanepico

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
surely to be a 'carped' it should have pedals? But it isn't cool to pedal anymore is it!

I doubt anyone in their right mind would spend £5000 for a year's use, save it and buy a decent car...

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Peteff

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
They didn't put engine sounds on the video though. It looks like the Aixam with a restricted variator so it would be easy enough to de-restrict but who could look cool riding round in something that sounds like it's been mixing gobbo on a building site.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ninehigh

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
A 28 mph top speed is going to cause a lot of aggro, even on 30 roads. How many of your local routes are 40+ limits?

splitrivet

posted on 26/11/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think you can drive one of these in France if you've lost your license they might have closed that loophole though, Designer will no doubt know more.
Does'nt have to have a dumper motor I think the Renault Twizzy fits in this category.
Something like this fits well into the Locost ethos wonder who's going to build the first
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 26/11/12 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

loggyboy

posted on 26/11/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Im fine with the cars, its the people that are going to drive them that I find worrying. Its bad enough Mopeds can used by any one with CBT and no proper licence. If they are seriously going with this they should change it so when your on a CBT driving any vehicle you can:
A - only go out during daylight hours, (maybe slightly later in winter)
B- be using it for a noteable/required journey (ie to school, college, shops etc)
C- not be in a group of more than 2-3 people.

Mistral Motorsport

v8kid

posted on 26/11/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
So should we have a "light quadricycle" forum on locost builders do you think?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

40inches

posted on 26/11/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
They didn't put engine sounds on the video though. It looks like the Aixam with a restricted variator so it would be easy enough to de-restrict but who could look cool riding round in something that sounds like it's been mixing gobbo on a building site.

Looking at the video again, the instructor tells the boy to wait until the glow plug light goes out! Diesel

splitrivet

posted on 26/11/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Never forget the first time I saw an Aixam, working next door to a Motorbike dealers standing having a smoke and heard this dumper engine start up, what should come chugging round the corner but this little weird car, nearly fell over laughing.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

bi22le

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Stephen Fry is doing a new series on gadgets, I think its about 2 or so episodes in. The one I watched recently had a Renault Twizzy and he tested it with Johnathon Ross. Seemed quite clever.

Not fussed about 16 year olds on the roads. There are terrible drivers at EVERY age on the road. At least they cant speed and they will be in noticabel cars so you can avoid them.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

vanepico

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
not able to speed? Have you seen some of the speeds people do on hairdriers after they have them derestricted?

I wouldn't be seen dead on one of them, much rather get a harley or something! If it were just for transport i'd take a good ol' bicycle!

I can imagine one going along at 28 mph with a massive sound system blaring out drum and bass, with 40 cars queing up behind!

wilkingj

posted on 26/11/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm... Maybe a suitable Donor for a Hayabusa transplant

A 30mph car might be on over here in the Fens (where its almost dead flat). Cant see it being useful in Yorkshire ar wales!

I hope it dont catch on.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

SCAR

posted on 26/11/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Will you be allowed to drive it on the pavement, dodge round traffic lights, have no insurance, exhaust or number plate and be exempt from police pursuit like a normal moped then?
dlatch

posted on 26/11/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Aixam Coupe S costs £9,999 =fail
Peteff

posted on 26/11/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Hmmm... Maybe a suitable Donor for a Hayabusa transplant

Then it will no longer be a light quadricycle so not really any point The legal description limits them to 15kw, about 20bhp and 45kph top speed.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

StevieB

posted on 26/11/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Im fine with the cars, its the people that are going to drive them that I find worrying. Its bad enough Mopeds can used by any one with CBT and no proper licence. If they are seriously going with this they should change it so when your on a CBT driving any vehicle you can:
A - only go out during daylight hours, (maybe slightly later in winter)
B- be using it for a noteable/required journey (ie to school, college, shops etc)
C- not be in a group of more than 2-3 people.

And there lies a dodgy loophole.

On a CBT you cannot carry a pillion - you have to have a full license.

So, assuming you still only need a CBT, why should you be allowed a passenger in the car (especially when anything to do with pillions/passengers isn't covered in the CBT).

vanepico

posted on 26/11/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the CBT JUST bike control stuff? Like balance and stuff, ALL of which you do not need on 4 wheels?

morcus

posted on 26/11/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression these were already allowed, just that hardly anyone had them because they've never been marketed here.

As said before, 5 grand is alot of money for a vehicle intended for people who won't have propper jobs. The real question is, where are these 16 year olds going that they need this transport? I know some people have good reasons, but what were they doing before hand?

Personally I think it's a bad idea, but I also think they should raise the limit to have a moped to 18 and the same for cars. Maybe even higher.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

vanepico

posted on 26/11/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Come to think of it though, you could drive a reliant robin on a motorbike license according to jezza, but i suppose atleast there you have had to pass a test on the road...

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I commute from Reading to Maidenhead every day, dropping my daughter off at school in Woodley and then drive down the A4/M4 depending on what the traffic is like. Other than that, it's local running.

Had a peek at the car's average speed on the OBC the other day - it was sub 5mph....

[Edited on 26/11/12 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Useful info...

http://www.3wheelers.com/16.html

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.