Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: connecting a tablet to a pc
JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
connecting a tablet to a pc

im having bother with technology

basically my laptop gets internet via a 3 mobile dongle, has wireless turned on, ive created a network, told the android tablet about it, but it just says 'not in range'.

Any ideas before i play frisby with it?!

PC says 'waiting for users' and tablet can find a neighbours network no problem....

[Edited on 27/11/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
The dongle has wireless?

Got the passwords entered etc?

RichardK

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Can you put Dropbox on them both and transfer files that way?

Only valid if the tablet can get on the net however

Can the dongle thing go into access point mode, I'm guessing its just looking for an access point as is the tablet, you can sometimes us something on wifi adapters called adhoc mode but its a bit flakey as to whether it works with different vendors / speeds etc.

[Edited on 27/11/12 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tiger Super Six

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Silly, but have you got wi-fi turned on, on both machines. Particularly then one saying 'not in range' it will say that if it's not switched on.

Mark

Tiger Avon

JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
its a wifi only tablet. The pc works fine and fully (im on it now!).

Managed to move music by usb cable, which is a start, but i want to get the tablet on the internet. I know this is pointless at this moment when the laptop will always be better at the internet, but i tried and failed to tether to my wifes phone too, and im beginning to feel like a failure!

JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I should clarify there is no wifi in the house, the only internet available is the 3g dongle plugged into the laptop. This works fine, but basically i want the tablet to be able to connect to the laptop via the wireless, and thus on to the internet too. Is that even possible, to use the laptop as a wifi hotspot?

Tablet has wifi turned on, and sees a neighbours secure network, but says that the network i created (on the laptop, that thing about adhoc), is not in range.

Cheers so far!

RichardK

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would start with minimal security on the adhoc connection such a wep with a basic password or nothing at all, ensure the speed is fixed fairly low, maybe b/g speed, make sure the are mirrored on the tablet, essentially get it working then increase security 1 thing at a time.

If you can't get a connection using only wep and b speed then I'd say they were in compatible and you may need an mi-fi to sit in the middle.

Have a look here,may be worth cross checking.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/configuring-an-ad-hoc-mode-wlan-with-windows-7.html

Something like this but not this one as its in the states

Sapido RB-1632 Wireless N Router - 3G/4G Mi-Fi Mobile Hotspot - USB Power Supply

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 27/11/12 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fizzer

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
are you using this dongle thing to create the hotspot or are you using windows to create it?
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Mobile_Broadband/Turn_your_dongle_into_a_Wi_Fi_hotspot

snakebelly

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would bin the dongle and replace it with a mifi. I have done this and it's made life much simpler and freed up a USB port
wilkingj

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
Personally I would bin the dongle and replace it with a mifi. I have done this and it's made life much simpler and freed up a USB port

+1
Not the cheapest way, but very good way to do it.

Also my smart phone has a wifi hotspot facility. Excellent but drains the battery on the phone really quickly.
This works well except for the batterry life!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would consider getting a mifi, but soonish im going to get a phone with unlimited internet and tethering, which should do the same thing.

I'll have to assume that my laptop cannot create a hotspot cheers anyway peeps.

Fizzer

posted on 28/11/12 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
This very much depends on your operating system version (windows 7?) and your network card drivers
Have you read this article:
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

JoelP

posted on 28/11/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fizzer
This very much depends on your operating system version (windows 7?) and your network card drivers
Have you read this article:
http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

Thats pretty much what i tried yesterday. Today ive messed about with the type of security, the firewall, passwords etc, and though my computer says 'excellent signal', the tablet says not in range. Buggered!

But it sees the neighbours networks fine, even the secure ones!

[Edited on 28/11/12 by JoelP]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.