Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse on a chain diff
lucy

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse on a chain diff

I've got a rear bike engined car with a chain driven diff and need a reverse fitting to it. Help!

I'm not an engineer (nor a 'builder' so any info would be most helpful.

I only really need it to meet race regs although it might be handy on the road occasionally.

I assume I will need a gear ring fitted to the diff and a starter motor to drive it in reverse when needed. Is that basically it?

All I need to know now is;
What size gear? (MK may help here)
How do I fix it?
What type of starter motor?
How do I fit it?
How do I wire it and will a bike battery suffice?

Or should I get it done by someone who knows what they are doing (MK is too far away so preferably near me in the south Birmingham region)?

cloudy

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Another option you could consider is to use a chain diff with built in reverse, am selling one here!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=176573

[Edited on 29/11/12 by cloudy]

www.warnercars.com

lucy

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
That does look sexy but maybe a little too much for my poor finances I'm afraid. Not sure how complicated the fixing would be for me either!
MK9R

posted on 29/11/12 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
What race series are you going into?? If there is room you are better off fitting the reverse gear to the engine sproket due to the gearing down to the rear sprocket. Where abouts in south brum are you??? What car is it??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lucy

posted on 30/11/12 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
In between Prescott and Shelsley so thought I might attempt some low level motor sport. Or some very steep motor sport!

It's a Sprint R with not much room to do anything in the engine bay (even if I knew how!)

JimSpencer

posted on 30/11/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

For hillclimbing a single seater you don't need reverse.

It's only the road going classes that need 'reverse fitted and working', I don't think your car will fit (single seater isn't it?) into any of the road going classes - but can't think why you couldn't just run it in the single seater racing car class up to 1100cc

racking what little brain there is left by this time of the week, but can't see why this wouldn't be Ok, it'll just need appropriate seat belts and to be log booked by a scruitineer I reckon

lucy

posted on 30/11/12 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
It's road registered with lights and things! Not really designed for hillclimbing and used on the road most of the time. Maybe useful to have a reverse for emergencies.

Someone has indicated that a rover 25 starter motor might be appropriate but I've no idea. Do some motors spin a different way to others and how do you find out?

JimSpencer

posted on 30/11/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

You would be amazed what drives up to the venue in the morning, has timing struts fastened on and gets blasted up hillclimbs and around circuits at sprints..
A road going single seater would not be unique..

Should you decide to have a look at the speed events drop me a PM and i'll ask the question of the powers that be.

I would have a look at how the circuit racing boys have sorted it on something like a circuit racing Jedi or the 750MC RGB lads for the reverse solution

lucy

posted on 30/11/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
will do, thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.