Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zx7r carbs not fuelin enough
po79

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Zx7r carbs not fuelin enough

Hi Guys,

Me again with another problem!!!!

I've got the engine up and running with the megajolt now but kept thinking there was something wrong with the timing as the exhaust manifold kept glowing red (proper glowing!)

However aftewr messing around with everything else I decided to look at the carbs and whilst the engine was running I pulled the choke full on and within a minute the exhaust cooled down and stopped glowing and the car sounded better (although it sounded ok without this).

So clearly she needs more fuel, I've not yet adjusted the mixture screws as time ran out and thought I should ask here first but I'm sure the main jets are number 170 which I believe related to its size in MM?

So they should be 1.7mm which I thought was fine for the Pinto engine?

Should I just adjust the fuel mixture first or does anyone have a better idea of whats the best thing to do?

The engine is a 2.0 Pinto, group one valves, ZX7R carbs and megajolt ignition with a standard bottom end and I think the CR is around 10.1 :1 (approx) so not really high.

Cheers,

Poe.

snapper

posted on 30/11/12 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
The main jet does its work higher up the rev band
Idle circuit and mid range are a different circuit
Needle height and profile also have a bearing
AFR meter and/or a rolling road set up

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

deezee

posted on 30/11/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
A 170 jet is'nt 1.7, its the rated fuel flow in ccm per minute. Both ignition advance and fueling affect exhaust temperatures. You might be running too retarded, leaving loads of fuel to continue burning in the exhaust. Also, as mention your jets don't affect idle. That's what the idle circuit is for. What's your afr say?

po79

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys,

I just checked and Keihin jets are sized by diameter in MM and the jet numbers do correspond to their size in MM so 170 Jets are 1.7mm just if anyone else's info really.

Carbs are not my strong point as you have probably guessed.

I've tried four or more different maps that have been used on other Pintos so the timing shouldn't really be hugely out I only checked and rechecked this cos a car I had years ago did the same thing with the exhaust manifold due to poor timing.

I'm hoping to get a few hours on the car this weekend and I'll make adjustments to the mixtures but I can see to much fuel being the problem given how it reacted with the choke full on its got to be the opposite surely?

I'll see what that does hopefully next week I can get her out on the road and see how she behaves under different driving conditions.

Can anyone recommend a trusted rolling road tuner in Somerset who has experience of bike carbs on road cars as that will be the next step once I've ran the new engine in.

Cheers,

Poe.

mcerd1

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by po79
I've tried four or more different maps that have been used on other Pintos so the timing shouldn't really be hugely out I only checked and rechecked this cos a car I had years ago did the same thing with the exhaust manifold due to poor timing.

have you checked that TDC is actually were the map thinks it is ?

-

BaileyPerformance

posted on 30/11/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by po79

have you checked that TDC is actually were the map thinks it is ?

mcerd1 is probably right, you may have your trigger wheel on wrong.

The numbers in the megajolt are meaningless if the wheel and VR sensor are not installed correctly. The VR sensor must be 8 clear teeth ahead of the missing tooth (count 8 teeth) - aligned in the middle of the 9th tooth. (90degrees from center of missing tooth to center or VR)

The VR sensor mounting bracket must be rock solid, ANY movement will effect the timing.

I would not expect the fuelling to be that far out to cause hot manifold, is it lazy to rev up? if so it points to timing.

Just a a rough guide, set the timing in the megajolt as follows (at all loads)

500-800rpm 10deg
1000rpm 12deg
2000rpm 20deg
3000rpm 30deg
4000rpm 34deg
5000-7000rpm 36deg

The above will not cause hot manifold

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cal

posted on 1/12/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dude, I run zx7 with 160 jets, what have you done with the air correctors?? Also what retardation have you to set?? Sounds very much like running lean/ over retardation I would check your trigger wheel first off. I run a zetec with the same carbs so slightly different
Rob Allison

posted on 2/12/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
If the carbs are the type as in pic then the air corrector, in the top blue circle centre brass hole (think thats right) needs to be blocked off.
Mine ran extreamly lean without it done.

cal

posted on 3/12/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
The post above is correct though it depends what jets are being used , you may have to reduce the air corrector size rather than block it. 160 jets with air correctors blocked works well. , 170 with pin prick air corrector jets also works nicely
po79

posted on 3/12/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the replies guys,

Just got back from the car now.

All sorted it was a lean mixture and just needed the air mix screw backed off two more turns.

Like you have all suggested the first places I looked at was timing and the trigger wheel/VR sensor position then the actual megajolt settings I had completely convinced myself last week it couldn't have been the fuel mixture but once I poured more fuel in by having the choke fully out and saw how differently she behaved it seemed the best culprit to investigate next.

Definatly going to double check the air connectors and make sure there isn't any other places air is getting in next time I get back to the car.

Really do appreciate all of your time and input's to help me out, top men!

Poe.

po79

posted on 7/12/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Just some info on this.

I checked my air connectors the other night and they were as I remebered (haven't looked at them since I get the carbs 2 years ago!) and they have tiny holes.

I have blocked they off completly but the engine doesn't seem to like it and runs to rich now. I screwed the air mixuter screws in one and half turns and its not so bad bad doesn't seem to run as smooth as before.

MOT on Monday so I'll leave it as it is but I think Cal was right when the said 170 jets run better with a small hole in the air connector.

Cheers for all the help again.

Poe.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.