Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Timber for Garage shelves / Bench ?
mcerd1

posted on 30/11/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Timber for Garage shelves / Bench ?

I've been looking for some bargain benches and shelves to use as starting points for the new garage but havn't really found anything that didn't involve a 400+ mile round trip - so it looks like I'm going to need to buy something

ideally I'd make it in steel (I design steelwork all day) but I think the cost will rule this out and I suspect wood will be cheaper...
...trouble is I've no idea what kind to get as me and wood don't always get on very well so I tend to avoid the stuff !

I'm looking to build a set of shelves about 4.5m long x 0.4 or 0.5m wide and up to 3.5m tall (4 to 6 shelves depending on the cost)
each shelf probably needs to hold between 100 and 250kg max. (one or two heavy ones at the bottom for gearboxes etc..) and they can be fixed to the fall all the way along the 4.5m side

what size would you use for legs, beams and what kind of board would you get for the shelf ? (cheaper the better)
I'd also plan to use the same stuf for making the frame of the bench which will also be fixed to a wall…

cheers
-Robert

-

locoboy

posted on 30/11/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
You can make out my shelving in the background.
Its 2x2 for uprights and bearers. Ply is 19mm.
Timber could easily be beefed up to 3x2 on your heavier weight shelves.

I morticed all my uprights by 20mm from memory to take the horizontals.

Get your hands on a router and you can then put all the uprights together and run the router across the lot making the mortices in 1 or 2 passes per position. Glue and cross nail the horizontals in place. Cut the timber sheet to suit. Screw to the wall. Job done.

I would suggest shuttering ply for the heavy duty shelves. You may get away with chipboard or OSB for the lighter weight ones assuming there is not any chance of leaks or damp (especially chipboard)
[img] shelving
shelving
[/img]

[Edited on 30/11/12 by locoboy]

ATB
Locoboy

rachaeljf

posted on 30/11/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use Wickes twin slot shelf brackets/uprights with tongue and groove floor planks for the shelves. They carry my other half's vinyl record collection (f heavy!) very well. It's a *reasonably* cheap and very flexible system.

Cheers R

v8kid

posted on 30/11/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used B&Q slotted angle iron shelving. When its built up freestanding its really wobbly but when bolted to wall its rigid and strong. Not cheap though for the size you are talking about requires 5 sets at £25 a throw.

It looks really good though and the first lot has lasted 3 years without any damage. Also Tesco sell black "value" plastic boxes just now in 2 different sizes for just a few pounds and you can write on the sides with typex pens. I made the spacing to suit the boxes and your sorted!

Best thing I ever did now I know I've lost something rather than wonder if its there

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 30/11/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
We just bought 3 x 2 planed wood and chip board floor sheet
Heavy stuff on the bottom with chipboard on 3x2 cross beams, next shelf up will still take gearbox weight if needed
Upper shelf takes stuff you can lift above your head
Benches at waist height are strong enough for engines and diffs to work on
If in doubt run extra supports and cross beams
19mm chipboard will take a fat bloke in a full bath if the support is close enough

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Benzine

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I recently made a workbench in my garage. I was fed up with wooden benches so I went to the local metal yard and got 4 lengths of 6mm angle steel and chopped and welded into a bench. £25 for a 2.2m wide bench which is about average desk height that doesn't move a mm, I just need some sheet steel for the top now. New wood = empty wallet. Second hand steel = win.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 30/11/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
If it were me id make it out of CLS timber from B&Q and chipboard flooring for the shelves.

For 5 shelves, you'd be looking at:

10x £7 for the chipboard

10x £2 for the verticals every metre (circa 89x38mm)

20x£1.50 for the horizontals, front and back of every shelf. (circa 63x38mm)

£5 Big box of 3" screws

You could also use treated timber and ply if you thought it would get wet, but much better if it doesnt.

So £125 all in.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jossey

posted on 30/11/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I found metal shelves on eBay from a factory for 30 each. 8ft high 3ft wide

I also used some 6" x6" wood beams across the back of the garage on blocks as a bench.

The beams are from a haulage company. They use them for putting under stuff to move. They are 6x6 and about 6 ft long.....

And they have tons of them

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

snippy

posted on 30/11/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used a length of kitchen worktop for my bench. You can usually pick up a decent length from any DIY store for £5 to £10 when they`re getting rid of older stock. Makes a good surface, has took some hammer over the years with no damage caused and easy to keep clean! Takes the weight of an engine too.
HowardB

posted on 30/11/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
second had dexion was my shelf base for years,.. great stuff too.

just used old floor boards too.

in fact locost has always been the key to such things. My current bench is 12' long 2'6" wide and nearly 3" thick and is made from an old machine tool pallet,... SOLID, and free!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

stevebubs

posted on 30/11/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I used a length of kitchen worktop for my bench. You can usually pick up a decent length from any DIY store for £5 to £10 when they`re getting rid of older stock. Makes a good surface, has took some hammer over the years with no damage caused and easy to keep clean! Takes the weight of an engine too.

That's what I did also - 10 years on and it's still going strong...

Simon

posted on 30/11/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
BigDug is your friend - have a look here

Garage / Shed Shelving Racking Workbench Starter Kit | eBay
Garage / Shed Shelving Racking Workbench Starter Kit

They have loads of different deals so go through their items. Some are on auction so you may get cheaper than the same offered as classified ad.

Saves a load of time making stuff

ATB

Simon

Stott

posted on 30/11/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've got dexion longspan racking, it takes about half a tonne per shelf and it's still only chipboard between steel beams. Chipboard is awesome.

I had the racking FOC by the way, dunno how much it would have cost.

lsdweb

posted on 1/12/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
As Simon says, BigDug is a good option. I've tried a lot of options over the years, from hand built timber to second hand racking off eBay. The hand built stuff always takes longer and costs more than you expect and you will never know what load it can take. With new stuff from BigDug, the price is pretty keen, delivery quick and you know what load it can take.

Wyn

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.