Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet!
olimarler

posted on 1/12/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet!

I have the chance to get a helmet for Xmas!
What should I get a bike helmet or a race helmet!

Only need it for road as protection from cold and stones!

Unsure what to get! Heard someone say the bike helmet in car felt like head was being ripped back!!

Any suggestions?

[Edited on 1/12/12 by olimarler]

Ninehigh

posted on 1/12/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Gloves!

olimarler

posted on 1/12/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Gloves!

Lol hit the wrong button! Oops

Ninehigh

posted on 1/12/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olimarler
quote:
Gloves!

Good job you explained that so I don't look like a pillock

Maybe you could try both? Then again you could argue that a race helmet is designed for what you're doing

olimarler

posted on 1/12/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by olimarler
quote:
Gloves!

Good job you explained that so I don't look like a pillock

Maybe you could try both? Then again you could argue that a race helmet is designed for what you're doing

Think I was the one who looked like a pillock!

I could but don't have access to both sadly!

RK

posted on 1/12/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
If only ever for the road, BIKE. Better visibility, cheaper. Get a carbon/kevlar one though, the fibreglass ones weigh a tonne.
wilkingj

posted on 1/12/12 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
I wore a full face helmet in my Viento for 6 years (Well... when I was driving it ).
Gave me neck ache to start with, but was fine after I got used to it.
Wasnt a problem after that.

Other tip is to fit a small flyscreen. That will give the air an uplift and take the force out of it.
I am assuming you have no fly or windscreen at all?
No big deal really. It doesnt rip your head off, thats a tad exagerated.
Its doesnt rip a bikers head off does it?

I got an ACU Gold Spot approved full face helmet from the BMF Bike show at Peterborough.
Was cheap as well. It was new, and not a reject or second. I would not risk my head like that for any amount of money.

Also got good pair of biker gloves for £5 a pair from the Frank Thomas Rejects tent.
Most of the kit in there was supposedly mail order returns that they could not sell as "new".
some had tears, split stitches, broken zips etc etc (real reject stuff).
However the vast majority was kit that was in good order.
Just check VERY carefully and make sure you get something that is in good order with all seams and zips intact etc.
ie examine every inch before parting with your cash. There were some bargains to be had.

I got a F-Thomas Aquapore textile jacket, that retailed at £140 for just £40.This has been good for the last 6 years, and has definately kept the water out when caught in a few cloudbursts.
Gloves for £5. Just check thouroughly before buying.

Next BMF show is in the spring. You missed the last one whihc was around September.

Motorcyle-Live is on at the NEC. That finishes tomorrow. There were bargains to be had there as well. But didnt seem as good as the BMF show for cheap bargains. I suspect its due the the NEC being an expensive place to hire, which is passed on to the traders etc.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 2/12/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have had 2 helmets now off these guys, very helpfull and the quality seems fine, and good prices for a race spec helmet.

http://www.v2sport.com/

Peteff

posted on 2/12/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
If you get a bike helmet that fits it will not lift at speed. Test it by trying it on and lifting the chinguard, if it slides up and back it doesn't fit.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

40inches

posted on 2/12/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
And fit a neck cuff, amazing how the draught gets under the helmet in a car. On a bike the riders head is tipped forward, in a car it is mainly vertical, makes a big difference to the aerodynamics around the helmet.
Something like this

[Edited on 2-12-12 by 40inches]

tomgregory2000

posted on 2/12/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Get a car one, it's been designed for use in a car
johnemms

posted on 2/12/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I got a flip front - ..
great when lifted open so you can see what youre doing with seat belts..
great when paying for fuel in shops
great if you wear specs
great with its drop down sun visor

Will be fitting a small aero screen to lift air flow !!

Nitro F347 VN crash helmet, flip front, internal sun visor, excellent bargain

[Edited on 2/12/12 by johnemms]

[Edited on 2/12/12 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

DIY Si

posted on 2/12/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I wore a shoei raid in my Indy, and always wore a neck muff under it as all the draughts come up round your chin. I did try a car helmet, but it always made my head wobble as they aren't designed to be in the airflow. And at 125 it made the view blurry!!

Oh, and make sure what ever jacket you wear has it's collar inside the lid. Cold water running down your neck is not nice.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

bi22le

posted on 2/12/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest a bike helmet. The ventilation is key in our cars. The air flow to the helmet is not the same as on a bike but I still have to use antifog to keep the visor clear.

They do have better overall aero which will reduce the force you feel. There is also more choice and more info.

A neck muff \ warmer is a must. The only time I dont use it is in really hot days but I want to wear a bash hat.

Good luck, its worth it.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

speedygonzales

posted on 2/12/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
In all honesty.....buy the best you can afford. I think the bike vs car argument is a bit flawed. There's plenty of single seater racing drivers using non-bike helmets who aren't complaining. The difficulty is deciding how much you want to spend. After all it is your noggin that you are trying to protect.
Personally I think you should just go and try some as comfort and the weight of the helmet are other factors to consider.

”Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.” - Oprah Winfrey

Ivan

posted on 2/12/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that as long as the helmet complies with the standards, price is no indication of safety - what you need is something that is comfortable from first fitting and if possible light. I would also recommend a flip up front with a normal and shaded visor - admittedly these add weight but as said previously are great for glasses wearers and for talking to others.

I am currently using this one and find it ideal in my Cobra, allbeit with windscreen.

http://www.spiritmotorcycles.co.za/motorcycle-accessories/helmets/spirit-flip-up-motorcycle-helmet

FuryRebuild

posted on 2/12/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
There are significant differences in the specification of bike and race helmets. Bike helmet manufacturers only need to self-certify their helmets to retain integrity after one impact. Race helmets have to be independently tested to three impacts - this is one of the reasons why you can get a cheap bike helmet but you won't get it through scrutineering - and it is something scrutineers check.

speedygonzales is right - what value do you put on your own brain?

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

blakep82

posted on 2/12/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
Get a car one, it's been designed for use in a car

mm true, but what type of car have they been designed for? racing car with roof?
bike ones are designed for the being in the wind, though perhaps you need to tip your head slightly forward

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Davey D

posted on 2/12/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
As above - how much do you value your head should you be in a crash. You don't have to buy something mega expensive, but at least buy something decent quality with a good reputation. I'd have thought a bike helmet would be ok for general use, as your head is out in the open like a biker is, but then there must be a reason you need an fia approved helmet when racing, and not just any old bike helmet.
I personally have one of these: http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p19149/BELL-KF3-SPORT-SV-MATT-BLACK-FULL-FACE-HELMET-SNELL-SA2010-APPROVED/product_info.html

It isn't the cheapest helmet in the world, but it's designed for use in an open top car as it has the chin spoiler to stabilise the helmet at speed.

[Edited on 2/12/12 by Davey D]

rdodger

posted on 2/12/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have been advised that a car helmet is designed to take multiple impacts from a cage during an accident, a bike helmet not. Also don't bike helmets have a wider face opening?

I have a middle range Arai bike helmet that I find really comfortable. When I bought it I must have tried a dozen different makes/models. The one I bought was my second choice. 1st choice was double the money!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.