Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Passat help needed
Humbug

posted on 3/12/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
VW Passat help needed

Hi there - my daily driver is a 1999 VW Passat 1.8SE estate. Yesterday I went out to get some petrol and as soon as I started up, a lowish buzzing/humming sound started. Sounds like it's behind the glove box, so I thought it might be the ECU, but no warning lights are on. Makes no difference if I have the radio on or off, or the Aircon on or off. The frequency of the noise doesn't change with engine or road speed, and is the same from idle upwards. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable problem with the way the car drives or the engine behaves. I started it up this morning and the same thing happens.

Anyone got any ideas what it might be and how to address it? A VW tech with a workshop manual may know?...

Cheers,

Simon

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/12/12 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Leaves in the heater fan? Turn things off to see when the noise goes away, but my guess is the fan

[Edited on 3/12/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 3/12/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Interior heater fan is behind there and runns unless unit is OFF. The bushes tend to wear out because it is constantly on.

could be a leaf but would epect the noice to change depending on Fan setting . Easy job to do but you need to take the pasenger air bag out which required double jointed wrists.

German and swedish used to do a replacement for £100 is notes.

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Humbug

posted on 3/12/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I'll see what happens with the fan off... thanks
Humbug

posted on 3/12/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I just went out to check again and I forgot to say before, it is a sort of rhythmic sounds rather than constant. No difference if the fan is turned off
Agriv8

posted on 3/12/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
from memory there is only the fan behind glove box which is not a big job to remove 5 torx screws from memory I would be iclined to take a look. But if it doing it with the fan off any noises with the bonnet up or is it only while driving?

ATB agri8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Humbug

posted on 3/12/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I will have a look behind the glove box.. the noise is when the engine's Just went out to try your suggestions and... nothing! no noise, engine runs fine.

Feck! it's annoying when things like this happen, then go away wthout having been diagnosed... I'll just wait for it to happen again.

Thanks for the replies

JAMSTER

posted on 3/12/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
box under carpet pass side. i think body module c/locking, windows,alarm etc etc full of water??????????
Agriv8

posted on 3/12/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAMSTER
box under carpet pass side. i think body module c/locking, windows,alarm etc etc full of water??????????

Second that electric gremlins on Passats due to blocked drain holes on battery bulkhead drain points bad news.

If you have damp carpets front or rear check sooner rather than later.

PSpirine

posted on 3/12/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
My fan on the Passat is making funny noises.. I think it's blocked with leaves (will run on full power on recirc, but on fresh air vent will start up quickly but then slow down and start rumbling).

Don't think there's anything else behind the glovebox that makes noise. Hope it's not the airbag!

Replacement bushes for a motor are £5 on ebay by the way, and you can get genuine VAG fans/motors for £60.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.