Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: Used drill bits
jonabonospen

posted on 4/12/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: Used drill bits

Just about to start my kit and people have mentioned using used drill bits for the fibreglass as sharp ones will just crack and chip the fibreglass.

So has anyone got any used drill bits that would be suitable and which they want out of the way?

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
twybrow

posted on 4/12/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just put masking tape over the point you want to drill and drill from the gelcoat side of the laminate... That will stop it chipping.
blakep82

posted on 5/12/12 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
drill all the rivet holes for the panels on the chassis, then you will have a used drill bit

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

designer

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Can't argue with the two above.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
drill all the rivet holes for the panels on the chassis, then you will have a used drill bit

Spot on

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
run them backwards
Confused but excited.

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Once you have drilled a few holes in fibreglass, you won't have a sharp bit anyway.
Always use masking tape as previously advised.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Hellfire

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a bench grinder, you can 'back off' the cutting edge of the drill bit to make it suitable for drilling fibreglass without grabbing. Then when you've finished using it for fibreglass, use the bench grinder to put the cutting edge back.

Phil

nick205

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If you have a bench grinder, you can 'back off' the cutting edge of the drill bit to make it suitable for drilling fibreglass without grabbing. Then when you've finished using it for fibreglass, use the bench grinder to put the cutting edge back.

Phil

Drill sharpening is not a skill I've mastered despite many attempts

My Dad on the other hand seems able to do it one handed with his eyes shut - very useful, but at the same time quite annoying

blakep82

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Drill sharpening is not a skill I've mastered despite many attempts

My Dad on the other hand seems able to do it one handed with his eyes shut - very useful, but at the same time quite annoying

i'm the same, i tried once, erm... didn't go well lol. cocked the drill bit up, so i guess i might as well try again...

[Edited on 6/12/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bigandy

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've got about 100 off 9/16" drill bits that are new you can have for a few beer tokens, if they are suitable size?

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.