Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Work gloves
johnH20

posted on 5/12/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Work gloves

I may be the last person in the ( Locost Builders ) universe to make this discovery but if it helps one other builder out it will not haave been in vain. I cannot heat my garage and as a result work time tends to become non existant when temperatures plunge. However I discovered a work glove recently that is good for everything apart from really fiddley things like manipulating nuts in difficult to get to places. They are basically made of what I think is called stockingette, a loose knitted fabric, onto which a thin textured rubber palm and fingers are moulded. The glove is a good fit and highly flexible as is the rubber palm/fingers. I got mine as part of a bundle in a garden centre. Highly recommended if you did not know already.
HowardB

posted on 5/12/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ansell make a fantastic range of these gloves including ones that are cut-proof. I swear by them, and curse when I forget to put them on.

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Proby

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use these at work, and they are great! There are a few different companies that makes them, I think screwfix sell them.

Visit GraphicMonster

Peteff

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
If they are the same as the ones I use they are also sold as builders gloves, I get them from the builders supplier for about £1 a pair and use them for everything except welding. This kind of thing.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NigeEss

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I use Contour Avenger gloves but I get them in Costco for £15. Builders gloves tend to be a lot thicker.

[Edited on 5/12/12 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

thefreak

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
I use Contour Avenger gloves but I get them in Costco for £15. Builders gloves tend to be a lot thicker.

[Edited on 5/12/12 by NigeEss]

Use these too. Much better than the builders gloves.
Was out there this evening. Tshirt, jumper, fleece and drill top. Was quite toasty actually and it was around 3degrees

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
If your cold, get a good thermal boiler suit, I'm working out in the garage, it's snowing heavily, the doors wide open and I'm cooking with just a t-shirt a jeans on under it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fingerless gloves are great, a bit 80s fashion-wise but very practical in the garage.
philfingers

posted on 14/12/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mechanix gloves are great, not cheap or oil proof but can wear them for most tasks, wash well, close fitting etc

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

andylancaster3000

posted on 14/12/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Also swear by the ansell ultra-light gloves. Think they're about £4-5 a pair. Last reasonable time and can be washed a couple of times before they fall apart.

You really need the ultra-light ones though...

se7en

posted on 14/12/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I use this type of glove as well - they are quite flexable and as JohnH2O says good for doing most garage jobs.

If you are cold working in the garage with no heat, ask the wife/girlfriend for a pair of tights and wear them under your work clothes. It is surprising how much warmer you will be. I used to wear them when doing the market stalls in the cold weather.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.