<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The war on Britain's roads
jacko

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The war on Britain's roads

34 million motorists and 12 million cycles with cameras
it's on BBC 1 at 9pm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'd walk before I'd risk riding a bike in traffic
JoelP

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have to agree id be on the pavement, bearing in mind a bike will do a lot less damage to a pedestrian than a car will do to a bike!

Bit dramatic calling it a war though, im sure most cars take the utmost care around bikes.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

chillis

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly bikes -no driving test for them to pass - why not other road users have to demonstrate basic competancy. The number of cyclists who pull out without looking, but it always seems to be the drivers fault
BBC seem to be trying to stir up a war on the motor car.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

scudderfish

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Have to agree id be on the pavement, bearing in mind a bike will do a lot less damage to a pedestrian than a car will do to a bike!

Bit dramatic calling it a war though, im sure most cars take the utmost care around bikes.

If you can't ride a bike on the road, don't ride a bike. As a pedestrian in London I have had many more near misses with cyclists who believe that rules are for lesser people than I have with all other forms of traffic.

jps

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Having cycled a lot over the last 10 years i can confirm that a) the vast majority of cyclists hold driving licences so have had their competency tested in some way (whatever that is supposed to mean!), b) for the most part drivers don't deliberately seem to drive like they want to harm cyclists, BUT some people drive in a ridiculously careless manner around people on bikes...

The main thing to consider is: drive like an arse around other cars, most likely outcome is bent metal and perhaps some minor injury. drive like an arse around a cyclist and you might easily kill them...

steve m

posted on 5/12/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I know some of our colleages on here are avid bikers, and would hope they treat the safety of riding a push bike sensibly

Last week after a nightshift, at 0620, i pulled out of work, to hear someone shout "fuc**ng wank**r" at me, so i stopped, and this guy on a push bike pullled up next to me, to offers his choice words, as i had apparently cut him up
I have to say i was incredibly embbarrased, and applogised provousley

it was only as i went to pull away, was it quite apparrent that he had no lights, the bike was a darkish colour, and he was wearing black tousers and a black north face coat,

I tried in vain to question how i was to actually seem him in the pitch black, with his attire and no lights,
he just got more angry, so i drove off

But tonight, on the way to work, i overtook a guy on a pushbike, with good lights, and flashing leds front and back, he also was wearing a bright fleuresent jacket with reflectors

I could of seen him 20 yards away in fog!!

Mini rant over, but there are always two sides to a story, and dare say the BBC will slag off all car drivers

Steve

Ninehigh

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Of course they will cars are worse than serial killers, paedophiles and genocide! Especially those that travel at 30.5mph

Seriously though don't you know the universal bike signal for "I'm about to turn right"? It's "..................." maybe accompanied with a look over your shoulder just to make sure a car's there

Maybe they should require a test for bicycles, as there are a whole load of pillocks out there. I've dealt with the ninja cyclist, given away by a confusing glint going up and down (the relectors on his pedals, and btw he was on an unlit 60 road)

Just to present both sides there are a load of pillock car/van/bus/truck drivers too

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Watched the program, very scary. Fault is with both sides but the aggressive car drivers have less to loose and sure show it. I use everything on the roads so see it from all angles, tbh I think the only solution is separate cycle paths and lanes where cars and even pedestrians cannot mix, they'd pay for themselves just in reducing the number of cars clogging the city's alone. I personally prefer the very loud, tons of power but driven carefully motorbike option. Wear hi-viz jackets, reflectors and lights and assume they haven't seen you.

Really liked the posting vids on YouTube etc though show the registration numbers, I have taken to putting the Gopro on the cars roof and will be fitting it to the bikes too.

I thought it was a very good program with fair views on both sides.

[Edited on 5/12/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I also watched this and it was generally fair to both sides , where they failed to make an important point was the bit about the woman that was killed by a lorry turning left after she rode up the inside of it, this has to be the most dangerous thing that you can do on a bike and something i have often seen cyclists doing in town.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Watched the program, very scary. Fault is with both sides but the aggressive car drivers have less to loose and sure show it. I use everything on the roads so see it from all angles, tbh I think the only solution is separate cycle paths and lanes where cars and even pedestrians cannot mix, they'd pay for themselves just in reducing the number of cars clogging the city's alone. I personally prefer the very loud, tons of power but driven carefully motorbike option. Wear hi-viz jackets, reflectors and lights and assume they haven't seen you.

Really liked the posting vids on YouTube etc though show the registration numbers, I have taken to putting the Gopro on the cars roof and will be fitting it to the bikes too.

I thought it was a very good program with fair views on both sides.

[Edited on 5/12/12 by Mr Whippy]

coozer

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I had a camera front and back on my truck... I could point out some things.. it happens to me EVERY DAY!

The standard of driving in this country is SHITE..

There are no car drivers on motorways who had any instruction on how to handle our fastest roads..

But cyclists get a bum deal off ALL our drivers as well..

As a truck driver I do shout and rave at ANYONE who comes up the inside cause guess what?? There is a massive blind spot that even other trucks disappear into.. you can all rant and rave and point fingers but its simply a fact of driving such a big motor and anything over than daylight doesn't help.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

se7en

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
My younger brother was taking his daughter to work one Sunday.

He thought that seeing it was Sunday he would make a left-hand turn where he was not allowed.

Stopped at the traffic lights waiting to turn left, he heard a knock on his window so he winds down the window and without looking he says "go away and mind your business".

The traffic lights change and he drives around the corner and a short distance along he stops to let his daughter out.

Again he hears a knock at his window, he winds down the window, turning round he looks and too his surprise he see a policeman on a push-bike.

He had a lot of explaining to do ....

blakep82

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
that gareth guy was a total cock.
the rest on both sides made valid points, that guy nearly getting taken out by the lorry on the roundabout was scary, but in most cases, i would say the cyclists were in awkward positions which i didn't agree with, but then the drivers reactions were a bit extreme and i didn't agree with that.

the girl vs cemex lorry, i couldn't tell from the video that was shown, but i find it hard to believe that the lorry didn't have indicators on... i doon't know what to make of that, but good on her mum to get in to the cemex agm and make the safety changes she has

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen far too many bike without any light recently

But also seen far too many cars driving without lights in really bad weather!

and never mind the suacidal joggers that run at night on the roads round here when there is a good pavment 2ft away from them
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
......where they failed to make an important point was the bit about the woman that was killed by a lorry turning left after she rode up the inside of it, this has to be the most dangerous thing that you can do on a bike and something i have often seen cyclists doing in town.

I'm sure we got told never to go up the inside of a lorry at a junction (because of the blind spot) when we were at primary school - and that was regardles which way he was indicating!

[Edited on 6/12/2012 by mcerd1]

-

vanepico

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
saw the last few minutes, those cycist didnt deserve their bikes the way they went straight into the junctions

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

roadrunner

posted on 6/12/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have got myself one of them cameras. As soon as I get some decent footage , I will post it up.

Brad.

rf900rush

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's simple to me.

Ride like a twat and you will end up dead.
Drive like a twat and you will just still be a twat.

I was just one of the lucky twats in my younger days. Had a couple of close ones.

I personal think the worst victims are ones who kill idiots on bicycles.
You will have to live with it all you life.

vanepico

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a vid on youtube on my bike pointing forward and me getting rear ended by an uninsured driver somewhere!

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

dave107

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I drive a car and a bike as much as i can i cycle on cycle tracks wear high vis and have several lights on my bike, some of those cyclists on that program need locking up as do some of the car drivers.

Some car drivers jump red lights, pull out of junctions, go across pedestrian crossings, cut other car drivers up, speed drink drive and talk on there mobile phones and the list goes on, but the same is said for people on motorbikes and push bikes.

jps

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
Ride like a twat and you will end up dead.

Problem is, my experience is: ride perfectly reasonably and get creamed by an idiot driver, lie on back for weeks recovering, wear scars for rest of life

quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I personal think the worst victims are ones who kill idiots on bicycles.
You will have to live with it all you life.

Indeed. If they'd killed me i'm sure i'd look down from heaven with sympathy that they were still living....

Oh, but of course, your tongue must have been firmly in cheek....?!

Peteff

posted on 6/12/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I ride a pushbike, motorbike and drive a car and when I'm in the car I move over to let motorbikes pass and keep the kerb side clear to let pushbikes through when stood in traffic. Just lately I have noticed when on the motorbike how many car drivers drive on the white line to stop you getting past and in the car I have seen more cyclists ignoring red lights as well. I didn't watch the programme because the title annoyed me and I can't stand the way everything is sensationalised these days. I was hit on the bike last year by a knob following a tractor and trailer who decided to overtake it as I was alongside him and he then blamed me for knocking his mirror off and ended up settling 50/50.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

roadrunner

posted on 6/12/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Firstly bikes -no driving test for them to pass - why not other road users have to demonstrate basic competency. The number of cyclists who pull out without looking, but it always seems to be the drivers fault
BBC seem to be trying to stir up a war on the motor car.

I bet most of the cyclists on the road have a driving licence, apart from the kids.!
Pulling out of junctions, who gets hurt when this happens. When you have ended up in hospital twice for cars doing this to you when on a cycle lane, then you might have a different view.

roadrunner

posted on 6/12/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

If you can't ride a bike on the road, don't ride a bike. As a pedestrian in London I have had many more near misses with cyclists who believe that rules are for lesser people than I have with all other forms of traffic.

A cyclist should be punished the same as any driver of a motorised vehicle.

jacko

posted on 6/12/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
It would hep if the law was ALL bike riders had to wear high-viz gear and lights on there bikes 24/7 or loose there bikes
+ they should have insurance and pay a licence fee to be on the road's
No i don't ride a bike its to dangerous
Jacko

clanger

posted on 6/12/12 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all four, cyclist, driver, motorcyclist and jogger (mcred1 )
got to agree the programme showed both sides of the coin, and some of the cyclists on there deserved a mullering. terrible road manners.....
liked the vigilante handing out leaflets though.........class !!! top bloke, the amount of people you can see on phones in they cars from the saddle is criminal

have been invloved in a few cycle related altercations myself, one notable one was a BMW driver who took exception to me filtering through traffic while he was stuck in the jam. after brake testing me when he got passed me, he decided to swerve towards me the next time I passed him, clipping my handlbars with the mirror. This resulted in the side of his beemer enjoying the company of my cleated left foot to keep my balance to prevent me falling into oncoming traffic. He was none to impressed, stopped in the middle of the high street and grabbed hold of me ranting about calling the police. Great I thought, bring it on.........after a few minutes he realised the error of his ways and possible court appearance regarding assault with a deadly weapon and soon made off at speed....DICK !!!!

I still cycle all year round, lights, flouro, refelctors, you name it, but it would'nt matter if you had a lighthouse jammed up your ring, lots of drivers still would'nt see you !!!!

PS.
Mcred1, try jogging on the pavement in the middle of summer and its bad enough trying to dodge the dogshite, in the winter its nigh on impossible
gutter/ road for me everytime (traffic allowing of course)

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.