Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sending examples of work with CV for Engineering jobs?
tegwin

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sending examples of work with CV for Engineering jobs?

I have been hunting for a decent company to do an engineering placement with next year. I stumbled upon one which is right up my street. They state in the advert they are looking for CAD experience etc...

Now, on my CV I list CAD as one of my skills and provide a link to my personal website with some examples of exactly that.

However.... If I write to the company with a covering letter and my CV to apply for this job, would it be weird/unacceptable to stick an A4 image in with the paperwork of something I have drawn recently with CAD? I want to get noticed but don't want them to be put off..

Thoughts from the engineering folk on here?

Images would be something like this:

[Edited on 6/12/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd hire you just to design ornaments for my office.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

SeanStone

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
As long as it shows skills that cover what they do I see no reason why that would be a problem
mark chandler

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
No reason not to have 1 side of A4 with you CV and a couple of demonstration drawings.

They will be put off by lots of text, they CV needs to be succinct, the drawings will make you stand out from the crowd.

coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sure put some examples in, be prepared to provide the originals if asked Don't make it a portfolio but it should certainly help. One of the biggest things you need to be good at though is technical drawing, drawings for manufacture - maybe include only one example of your nice models and also a couple of the major parts drawn up for manufacture nicely, but be sure to do it right!

Also, be aware that engineering isn't "using solidworks/CAD" so they may well want to see more than just a good CAD jockey, and may well be used to CAD jockeys applying.

[Edited on 6/12/12 by coyoteboy]

austin man

posted on 6/12/12 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could also place a web address on the CV for them to view your work online to get a real taste of your abilities

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dingz

posted on 6/12/12 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good idea, that looks super but should it have some glow plugs in it?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

D Beddows

posted on 7/12/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would think it a bit weird if you didn't tbh! - just put several images on one sheet of A4 and attach it to the back, if they're impressed/interested enough they may then visit the website as well which they may not bother doing otherwise!
Fred W B

posted on 7/12/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
As above, include a sample dimensioned component drawing. Renderings are pretty pictures, things are made from component drawings. Check carefully that it is fully dimensioned.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

TimC

posted on 7/12/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Do you want to come and design some kit for me?

I need a design engineer on a couple of projects.

Matt_C

posted on 7/12/12 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tegwin,

When applying for design engineering placements during uni, we had to produce a portfolio to include with our CV, I have always followed the same format applying for jobs now as well. You have to show your skills not always the best to just have CAD skills listed on a piece of paper, does not show that you can use the software well.

I have included a couple of screen prints of my uni portfolio in my photos, in a folder called 'random', if that helps.

Matt

tegwin

posted on 7/12/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
As always, some really useful suggestions. Thank you all.

No glow plugs required as it it runs on compressed air. The air enters in the middle of the back of the crank case and is distributed via the excentric radial valve.

This video might help explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxwHBxDt90&feature=plcp

Matt. I like your portfolio pages. I think I might produce something similar to attach to the CV with a link to my website. Had not even thought about that format. Not something we have been taught in our pointless "how to apply for jobs" seminars. I guess for a "normal" engineering job its harder to send a portfolio perhaps so they don't cover it. I know the graphic design/architecture students do portfolios though.

I will also produce a properly dimensioned drawing. Need to remind myself I am doing this correctly before I send it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Neville Jones

posted on 7/12/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Give them a call, and ask what cad package they use, if you don't already know. Then put everything, drawing related, on a cd that their system can open.

Most can't resist opening a cd/dvd, just to see what's on it. Give the cd a nice cover label as well, to catch their eye.

Cheers,
Nev.

wilkingj

posted on 7/12/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
A picture paints a thousand words!

Long rambling text often will not get fully read, let alone understood.
They are probably sifting a hundred or more applicantions and dont have all day to do it!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 7/12/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
A picture paints a thousand words!

They are probably sifting a hundred or more applicantions and dont have all day to do it!

However make sure what ever you put forward is good. You don't want to stick out for the wrong reasons.

On the whole I have found that people who bring stuff to show at interview are very good. However there is allays the odd person that has heard its a good idea and bring something diabolical along.

Matt_C

posted on 7/12/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have a project or two which also have GA and part drawing examples in my portfolio to also show understanding of those principles. Communicates skills more clearly than just writing 'Pro-E, Solidworks etc' on a CV.

My portfolio is horribly out of date now as there are much more interesting projects which could be included but I am not applying for new jobs at the moment. Just chose a couple of your best projects you have done to make into a short portfolio.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.