Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Solar Selective Coatings
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/12/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Solar Selective Coatings

Anyone know any places that supply solar selective paints and coatings. I'm specifically looking for info on low emmisivity (sp?) coatings.

Thanks in advance guys.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

v8kid

posted on 9/12/12 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
What's the application? It's tricky to do this locost for coatings and paints are not so effective. I presume you want to capture solar radiation? Locost way is blackboard paint to adsorb short wave radiation and a glazing cover to reduce long wave emissions.

A pucca multilayer coating for a one off would be v dear!!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/12/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
So black paint inside a glazed unit is pretty good would you say.
Just building some improvised solar collectors for a bit of fun really. Going to do a couple of evaporative tube and a passive system too.
If I can actually get them to work all the better.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

v8kid

posted on 9/12/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I had th look evaporated tube up!

Is that DIY able? There are loads of flat plate collectors around and they are so simple and cheap the lack of high efficiency does not matter unless you are severely limited in the roof area department.

However the heat pipe is interesting I had always assumed it was too difficult to build.

I'm swithering between making and buying a flat plate connector with cost and reliability the deciding factors. Will be good to hear how you get on.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul_C

posted on 9/12/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a go at making DIY solar hot water heaters using polycarbonate roofing sheets. If I remember correctly I got about 200 W from a metre squared. Without a vacuum a fair amount of the heat is lost through conduction even with double glazing and good insulation on the panel back. I used matt black paint because I couldn't find any low emmisivity coatings a couple of years ago. My interest was sparked by http://www.acktar.com/category/products/lights-absorbing-foils but I couldn't obtain any.
I don't think that flat plates are the way to go unless they are really cheap. I also found it difficult to make them leak proof. Vacuum tubes are available at http://www.eco-nomical.co.uk/SolarWaterProduct.htm. I don't know what they are like though.

MakeEverything

posted on 9/12/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Would silver window tint work, applied to the inside to reflect excess light back to the blackboard paint / tubes and add more heat?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/12/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently very easy to make with copper pipe and acetone. I will post details when i get round to it

quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
I had th look evaporated tube up!

Is that DIY able?

However the heat pipe is interesting I had always assumed it was too difficult to build.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.