Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing/hiding creases in leather interior
ChrisW

posted on 10/12/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing/hiding creases in leather interior

The bolsters in my new Audi are a little creased, both on the drivers and passengers side:

Audi seats
Audi seats

Anyone got any top tips for making them disappear? Perhaps moisturising the leather somehow? There are no actual cracks in the leather itself.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
melly-g

posted on 10/12/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
steam!
I seem to remember seeing that on one of the car building shows.

Don't quote me though!!

ChrisW

posted on 10/12/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Funny you should say that....

Years ago, I had a summer job in a factory that make seats for Jaguars. The final step in the process was to use a heat gun and a plastic spatula to smooth out any ripples in the leather and make it smooth.

I wonder if there is anyone out there that can do this as an aftermarket fix?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 10/12/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
You try ironing it with the iron on a very low settting --- keep a sheet of brown between the leather and iron.
Then feed the leather do an ebay or Google search on "hide food"
However in this case I don't think it will make a vast improvement but it will keep the leather supple.
Most "leather" in cars these days is a veneer of leather applied to cloth base, the more expensive the car the thicker the veneer .

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 10/12/12 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used Liquid Leather, the G11 conditioner brings back the new leather smell

amalyos

posted on 10/12/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've worked in car seat design and manufacture for 14 years, and theres no way you will get rid of the wrinkles once their already there.
They use steam in the factories to help, but it's only a temporary fix for the showroom.
Unfortunately it's the result of having higher sporty bolsters, as you slide into the vehicle you crush the bolster and crease the leather.
The leather is real leather, usually a better quality than your average leather sofa, but it is normally only on the surfaces you touch in the car. You'll find the side facings and backs are vinyl.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

jossey

posted on 10/12/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Get it fixed at a upholsterers they did my bummer years back and fixed a split where your wrinkles are and it looked new.

Cost £90

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

DanG

posted on 10/12/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Please keep us updated whatever you try.

Had many cars with this problem and if there is a way to remove or even simply reduce the look then that would be great.

CNHSS1

posted on 10/12/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know if the cures work on women too? ive known a few that could do with the wrinkles steaming out lol

* not the wife, shes much younger than I, and totally wrinkle free--just in case shes reading this over my shoulder *

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

gazza285

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Get it fixed at a upholsterers they did my bummer years back and fixed a split where your wrinkles are and it looked new.

Cost £90

Made me laugh, nothing worse than having your bummer done and splitting where your wrinkles are.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.