Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RC car shock oil?
nick205

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
RC car shock oil?

Need to refill some RC car shocks, but not wanting to fork out £3+ for 100ml of oil.

I know there's some RC enthusiasts on here so wondered what people use that's cheap and readily available....will some plain engine oil do the job?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I am open to correction, but I think thin motor oil is a no-no because it can eat the seals pretty quick so I have been informed.

I'm not sure whether a good quality machine oil would be any good?

HTH

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

tegwin

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
It is pretty specific stuff and usually available in different weights to allow you to setup the damping how you like it...

Unless you can find someone with a big bottle willing to send you some... £3 for 100ml is not too bad :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I never found any troubles using either motorbike shock oil or veg oil in mine, but they were not top of the line ones. Lasted 10 years running veg oil, but I wasn't overly bothered by damping characteristics being perfect either.
vanepico

posted on 11/12/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I just put the oil it came with in! I've got a yokomo drift chassis, never really thought damping could do much on that small scale? Also had a mardave cobra that had oil filled shocks

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

olimarler

posted on 11/12/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I race R/C for years!!

You need the specific oil.

You would notice a big difference with the correct oils and setup

Go on www.oople.co.uk

people always selling off the kit etc

Oli

coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect it depends on the kit. I tried a good few oil weights on mine and never noticed the slightest hint of difference (I was trying to tune it). I presume RC shocks have improved in more recent years from the basic oil plunger form?!

That said, my car was never used to jump 10ft in the air, the most it managed was down kerbs and jumping over driveways.

olimarler

posted on 11/12/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used to think that but when I started.

on tracks you will notice the difference more.

Def on different surfaces aswell you would notice between set ups.

Oddified

posted on 11/12/12 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
All depends on if your 'playing' or racing. Set-ups including shocks/oils/valves/springs makes a huge difference and will make the difference between finishing 150th at an event or possibly winning.

Most use silicone oils and they're available in small incremental steps in grade, and don't change to much with temperature (air temp or running time). Regular engine oil isn't available in enough grades and also results in huge damping changes with shock absorber temperature changes.

Ian

Canada EH!

posted on 11/12/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Check your local Tamiya supplier, they have many grades of proper shock oil in various sizes. Would you put hypoid oil in your Locost shocks?
nick205

posted on 11/12/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

Should add this is for my son's HPI mini Recon, pretty basic, but great fun. I'm more wanting to avoid buying something specific when I have various oils already in the garage. Also if I go into a model shop I'm likely to come out with a complete car for myself and a hot credit card

Might just stump up and order online from Modelsport.

Cheers

olimarler

posted on 11/12/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Thanks for all the feedback chaps.

Should add this is for my son's HPI mini Recon, pretty basic, but great fun. I'm more wanting to avoid buying something specific when I have various oils already in the garage. Also if I go into a model shop I'm likely to come out with a complete car for myself and a hot credit card

Might just stump up and order online from Modelsport.

Cheers

Modelsport are good!

But also DMS are also very good! I used to race with them!

Oli

loggyboy

posted on 11/12/12 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spare pot you can have.
Same as this but 850cst, which i think is quite firm:
Edit Pure Silicone Shock Oil 800cst (60cc)(ED190800)(Traxxas Rc/Hpi Rc/Tamiya )

I bought a job lot and was selling them on ebay at 99p plus postage and made my money back and a few quid more. I kept a couple back for me but can spare you one.

Mistral Motorsport

CNHSS1

posted on 12/12/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
All depends on if your 'playing' or racing. Set-ups including shocks/oils/valves/springs makes a huge difference and will make the difference between finishing 150th at an event or possibly winning.

Most use silicone oils and they're available in small incremental steps in grade, and don't change to much with temperature (air temp or running time). Regular engine oil isn't available in enough grades and also results in huge damping changes with shock absorber temperature changes.

Ian

Listen to advice above, i remember the poster from my racing days back in the 80's and 90's ;-)

(I worked for CML for 9 years)

Genuine shock oils dont promote weeping past the seals and as oddified says are much more temp stable than automotive oils.

Craig

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

nick205

posted on 12/12/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I have a spare pot you can have.
Same as this but 850cst, which i think is quite firm:
Edit Pure Silicone Shock Oil 800cst (60cc)(ED190800)(Traxxas Rc/Hpi Rc/Tamiya )

I bought a job lot and was selling them on ebay at 99p plus postage and made my money back and a few quid more. I kept a couple back for me but can spare you one.

Top man - U2U sent

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.