Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Build your own coilovers on a budget
shh120m

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Build your own coilovers on a budget

Excellent post by wynand, thought it may be of general interest.....

http://www.roadste" target="_blank">http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=133[url=http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=133]http://www.roadste r-builders.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=133

splitrivet

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Great all I need now is a lathe some aluminium billet someone to teach me how to use said lathe and about a month to knock em up.
Interesting post but not relevant to 99% of us.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

steve m

posted on 12/12/12 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
All very clever, if you have the right tools, plus if it was that easy, Ron champion, would of stuck it in the book !
v8kid

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I bought threaded tube and locknuts to suit that slipped over existing shockers and welded it on. IIRC it was demon tweaks that sold it.
Simples
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that rolling a groove into the barrel like that would completely knacker many shockers.

Also they won't be anywhere near as good as proper adjustable ones even if it does work because there is no damping adjustment which virtually guarantees that they won't be suitable for the car.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Dualist

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I would think that rolling a groove into the barrel like that would completely knacker many shockers.

+1

Would have totally knackered your stroke and then the piston seals inside thus making it useless.

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

Confused but excited.

posted on 12/12/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
All very clever, if you have the right tools, plus if it was that easy, Ron champion, would of stuck it in the book !

Why? He left most of the info that you need to build the car out (ie; how to make a nose cone: make a buck, then a mould, then make your nose cone. Very informative!) and some that he put in was wrong.

He couldn't even get the title right. That was out by a factor of 10!

If it wasn't for this forum, there would be a great fewer Locosts about.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RK

posted on 14/12/12 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
Aw, go easy on the old guy: wasn't for him, we wouldn't be here at all, most of us. Although he has a lot to answer for!
Ivan

posted on 14/12/12 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Very few people would have bought the book if it said 2500 not 250 and the Locost phenomenon wouldn't have happened
steve m

posted on 14/12/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
"Why? He left most of the info that you need to build the car out (ie; how to make a nose cone: make a buck, then a mould, then make your nose cone. Very informative!) and some that he put in was wrong.

He couldn't even get the title right. That was out by a factor of 10!

If it wasn't for this forum, there would be a great fewer Locosts about. "

Sorry, i do not agree, i made my car from book 1 edition, and had to get round the flaws mentioned, i also made my own fiberglass panels, and all from reading THAT book, and others from the library

my car was in the last 90% region when i went on the internet

If it wasnt for the book, this forum woulnt exist !

Theshed

posted on 14/12/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dualist
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

+1

Would have totally knackered your stroke and then the piston seals inside thus making it useless.

As they are gas shocks the groove would "only" effect the gas chamber that is usually around the outside. That said it would be a lot easier to drop a threaded adaptor over the top (having reduced it to size). I suspect the guy that did this is not that stupid judging by his general engineering skills.

Less than perfect but cheap.

As for the book..... a factor of 10??? Thats a set decent set of dampers...

D Beddows

posted on 14/12/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Did anyone ever make their own from the plans Darren 'take the money and hide' George used to sell/distribute?
paulf

posted on 14/12/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pair half built if you mean to the mono tube gas dampers that there was drawings for.I got the drawings for free and made a start on them to the stage of outer body's, end caps, spring seats, spindles etc but then realised that it would be very difficult working out what shims to use in the shim stack etc and never got around to finishing them as the rest of the car took priority.I made some threaded tubes and spring seats and welded them to some mini front dampers and used them on the rear of my car to get it on the road before fitting avos
I suppose now that the car is finished I could look into finishing off the gas dampers and try them on the car, the design looks an almost exact copy of one of the Penske designs so may be able to get some idea of shim stacks from them.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Did anyone ever make their own from the plans Darren 'take the money and hide' George used to sell/distribute?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.