Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dying leather
theconrodkid

posted on 18/12/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
dying leather

is it posible to dye tan leather seats black without all the dye coming off and them looking carp in a few months ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

se7en

posted on 18/12/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
What! you want your seats to look like a fish?
jossey

posted on 18/12/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
most leather these days is treated and wont dye properly. i went to get my car leather dyed in my bimmer and they said it wont turn out right.

I am unsure if you leather is treated but I guess it needs a pro to tell you.

good luck though.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
umgrybab

posted on 18/12/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I went to an old school cobbler when some of my shoes were needing sharpening up and ended up buying some aerosol dye. It works a treat and will allow you to change the colour of your leather.
PSpirine

posted on 18/12/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Unless your leather is aniline (or "natural", it will have inhibitors in it, which will prevent it from dyeing properly.

Even semi-aniline leather has the top-coat sealers, to prevent bleeding of dyes (in or out).

Although some leather "spray paints" seem to get good reviews, I'm not sure I'd trust it on something as hard-wearing as seats, particularly in an open-top roadster! Rain, sun and jeans abrasion is the worst combination for any fabric.

Ninehigh

posted on 18/12/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
I read somewhere that you have to remove that protective layer (iirc) then dye it and seal it again. By the look of it it was a fairly big job too. Can't remember where I read it but I was looking up leather treatments for my seats

bi22le

posted on 18/12/12 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yup its easier to re trim or resell then buy new.

In my old job pimping cars we used a leather coloniser company who used to match and paint leather colours. I would not trust it as car seat use though. It was just kick as high quality paint.

Very impressive to watch though.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/12/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Years ago I used some "viyl and leather paint" to change some vinyl seats from tan to black.
They were the rear seats in my Triumph Vitesse convertible, put up with young kids, carseats, sticky sweets, the occasional clean and lots and lots of open top motoring and miles. The only places you ever saw the original colour was when they got scratched, and eventually a bit of wear on corners. The stuff worked much better than I thought.

Saying that, new seats would be a much better solution, I was being cheap and working with what I had.....

theconrodkid

posted on 19/12/12 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
ill take that as a no then,cheers for the answers peeps

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ChrisW

posted on 20/12/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest just to change the seats Johnski! Surely someone will buy the old tan ones if they're in good nick?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.