Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New MNR GM3 pictures
MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
New MNR GM3 pictures

I cant resit putting a few pics up of the new car being built between ourselves and MNR, The MNR GM3.

The chassis is based on the Vortx, but is a chain driven, front engined configuration. The first chassis (mine) is 9" shorter than a standard Vortx to minimise the weight and weight distribution and to reduce the drivers compartment to the exact length to fit my "limited height" stature, and allowing the engine to be moved back as far as possible into the passenger compartment to still meet RGB regs (75%). The rear diff is a visocous type unit from an RS turbo, and the rear chassis modified to suit. The suspension geometry is exactly the same as a standard Vortx but the way it all ties back to the chassis is completely changed, something that Mark is looking to do to the Vortx in the future as its such a tidy solution. Due to the distance between the engine and rear diff an idler gear is mounted in the tunnel so 2 chains will be used to span the distance. The chassis is still in progress so lots more tubes etc to be added.

The Bodywork is completely new, being built by myself and father. We are using the nose we initially deesigned and built for the exiting fury, but is having to be widened by 6" due to the wider track width. The rear body work is a new design that we bult and tested on the fury to balance out the extra downforce created at the front by the nose. All the rest is/will be completly new. The New bodywork once complete will fit any standard existing or new Vortx, and will be available through ourselves and MNR. Obviously this a still sometime away from being completed as we are still only making the buck.

Once finished the car will be tested, developed and raced in the RGB series.

[Edited on 19/12/12 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave107

posted on 19/12/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
where are the pictures.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave107

posted on 19/12/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
looks cool.
richardh

posted on 19/12/12 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
likey

Time for a change!

HowardB

posted on 19/12/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
that explains the desire for the classic bonnet! Looks good, can't wait to see the finished car,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
that explains the desire for the classic bonnet! Looks good, can't wait to see the finished car,..

As it turns out none of the bonnet is being used now anyway, infact not a single piece of fury DNA is left.

Trouble I have now is I have no bodywork for the old fury to start next season as it s all been destroyed, so I may still be looking, lol

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

scootz

posted on 19/12/12 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting project!

I have to ask though...

Why did you go for chains?

And, is it a LHD car (I'm thinking about the engine being viased towards the drivers side).

It's Evolution Baby!

MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Interesting project!

I have to ask though...

Why did you go for chains?

And, is it a LHD car (I'm thinking about the engine being viased towards the drivers side).

Was waiting for both those questions.

Yes its left hand drive due to engine/driver relationship. It should also give good weight distribution unlike normal rear engine cars where engine and driver are on the same side. Scott mittels class r car is LHD to balance out engine and driver.

A few reasons for chain drive:-
Less transmission losses than normal car diff
Lighter (not massive but defo lighter) even including idler
Possible to quickly and easily change drive ratios for different circuit's, a big advantage over all other class f cars
C of g of engine can be moved closer to longitudinal c of g of car
Just because....

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 19/12/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
"just because"

the ONLY reason that a man and his shed ever need

Howard

TimC

posted on 19/12/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not to put to fine a point on it, this is probably the best thing that could've happened to RGB Class F - genuine fresh thinking and innovation. It's going to be great to see it out.

On a personal note, I can't help feeling excited about pitting my very traditional new car (live axle, outboard shocks, engine where a X-flow would normally go) against something so mad.

Bravo for being nuts enough to dream it up and well done Marc & Chris for getting involved.

Now try not to make it look like a morose Guppy.

scootz

posted on 19/12/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
You only had to say 'just because'. That's always good enough for me!

It's Evolution Baby!

adithorp

posted on 19/12/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Not to put to fine a point on it, this is probably the best thing that could've happened to RGB Class F - genuine fresh thinking and innovation. It's going to be great to see it out.

On a personal note, I can't help feeling excited about pitting my very traditional new car (live axle, outboard shocks, engine where a X-flow would normally go) against something so mad.

Bravo for being nuts enough to dream it up and well done Marc & Chris for getting involved.

Now try not to make it look like a morose Guppy.

Got to agree with most of that... The last bit's a tad cruel though...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
We modelled the last car on Mr Cheney, well pick someone different this time

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

nick205

posted on 19/12/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Looks well Austen, particularly like the way the chassis has been adapted, no rear overhang at all by the look of it?

Where does the fuel tank sit?

MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank will go up the front as long as weight distribution is OK with that. Idea is to leave positioning until the end when we can pit it on corner weights
It can go at rear of need be

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Tris

posted on 19/12/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good mate, like what has been previously said, its the best thing to happen to class f for a while. Most important question though - with it being wider, will it still fit in the bus ?

Whats the plan for the air box ? - some sort of 90 deg bend ?

With the engine now in that orientation, i guess it would also be ideal from a performance (and cost) point of view to try and use more of the stock manifold - there room underneath the engine to route ?

[Edited on 19/12/12 by Tris]

JoelP

posted on 19/12/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Heading towards the dp1 layout. I always fancied having a bike engine longtitudinal in the passanger seat, which keeps it rhd.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

woodster

posted on 19/12/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice , I like the way you modelled it in mdf , how did you manage to bend it for the front wings ?
stevebubs

posted on 19/12/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good. Just one thing I'm sure you've already checked - do the lights have enough clearance to the wheels?
MK9R

posted on 19/12/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tris,
It should fit in bus with 15mm to spare, although we have got to modify the seat brackets

Exhaust will be custom Tony law again I think, can't go under engine as set as low as possible. Hoping to keep airbox completely stock, I'm using a Zx 10 with the secondary injectors

Woodster,

Its 2 layers of the thin MDF with the grooves cut in it so it bends easily, glued together over a former

Steve,
We spent lots of time checking wheel clearances, obviously the outer this is just a guide for the flared arches. The head light area is going to be completely redesigned so the flat arches blend down into the nose, loosing the fury style flat area for the lights

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

jeffw

posted on 20/12/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting solution to the problem. I'm intrigued as to how you will tension two long chain runs, it seems that you would need to keep the centre double sprocket stationary and have the adjustment on the axle and the engine. Some sort of spring loaded automatic tensioner pressing on the chain?

[Edited on 20/12/12 by jeffw]

MK9R

posted on 20/12/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
The idler and rear diff has adjustment, engine is fixed. So set front chain tension using idler, then set rear chain with diff

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

big_l

posted on 14/1/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mega should really help with gearing no more daft 3.14 £999
Typical MNR quality

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

MK9R

posted on 16/1/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
A few more pictures of where we are today, comments (good or bad) greatly appreciated:-

[Edited on 16/1/13 by MK9R]

[Edited on 16/1/13 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

HowardB

posted on 16/1/13 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
that is cool, I am really impressed, is there enough bonnet bulge under the roof?

Howard

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.