Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Microsquirt - 2 grounds or 3?
me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Microsquirt - 2 grounds or 3?

Hello all.

I'm currently trying to convince my Zetec/GSXR TBs/EDIS/Microsquirt install to work. However I can't see a crank sensor signal. I'm checking though my wiring, it all seems ok, but I haven't run shielded cable between EDIS and uS, just about to do that now. Also pins 21-23 on the ampseal connector are supposed to be grounds, but my connector only has 2 wired up as supplied from trigger wheels. Is this likely to be a problem? If I stuff DMM probes on V AC into the EDIS plug and crank I get about 0.9V, so it should be reading something.

Also any pointers towards MSQ's which work with this setup would help, it could well be that I've not pressed the right buttons in tuner studio! Currently as suggested here http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Thanks in advance.

Craig

Werner Van Loock

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Can't tell on mS but megajolt also uses a edis and it doesn't show any rpm during crancking, so that's maybe confusing, it was to me when i was first trying my megajolt

Might be the same with mictosquirt with edis setup.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dusty

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Crank sensor wires are polarity sensitive. Try swapping them round. Long shot but worth a try?
me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried swopping the wires around with no improvement, and according to the DMM they should be the right way around as they are. I am trying everything twice by swopping them just to make sure though! Does anyone know if RPM does show in tuner studio when cranking?
me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just discovered I have sparks- good. But only 5.6V on the PIP line with the ignition on, which drops to just over 2V on cranking. Bad!

Does this sound like a goosed EDIS?

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have EDIS, but I do get RPM in tunerstudio when cranking. I have MS2 (so same chip as uSquirt).
atm92484

posted on 29/12/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by me!
Also pins 21-23 on the ampseal connector are supposed to be grounds, but my connector only has 2 wired up as supplied from trigger wheels. Is this likely to be a problem?

http://www.useasydocs.com/details/ew3_hires.gif

Is your wiring the same as this? It looks like 22 and 23 should be going to ground and 21 should be on the negative side of the VR sensor.

-Andrew
Build Log

me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thats exactly how its wired up. I wasn't sure because the 'quick start guide' (ha) that came with it just labelled all three as grounds and to run them separately to the block.

Anyway... it turns out my wiring, EDIS and microsquirt are all fine, it was a setting in my tune that was throwing it off. For some unknown reason it had one of the multi/dual spark options turned on. I switched it to single spark and got a reading. I have no idea why it was setup like that- it must have come from trigger wheels that way as I haven't touched it!

O/T- where abouts in Pennsylvania atm92484? I studied at Penn State for a year. Good fun!

me!

posted on 29/12/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Also, Mtechmatt, if you see this is mtechmaps.com still running? I tried to register a few weeks ago but it's still awaiting admin approval
atm92484

posted on 29/12/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
If it makes you feel any better I spent two evenings pulling my hair out when the injectors wouldn't fire in test mode. Turns out I had the dwell set for 0.002ms instead of 2ms - oops.

Wow its a small world - I'm living in the Pittsburgh area. I have a few friends and co-workers that went to Penn State. Going from the stories I've heard, it sounds like a really fun little town.

-Andrew
Build Log

Valtra

posted on 31/12/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing to add but I'm venturing on a similar route right now so simply bookmarking for now . Hope it's all up and running now , good luck !!

"If it looks like it works and it feels like it works, then it works"

me!

posted on 31/12/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/47/viewthread.php?tid=177487&page=1?#pid1495165

:-)

garybee

posted on 1/1/13 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, what was the problem then?
me!

posted on 1/1/13 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
It turns out the firmware that came on my microsquirt as shipped (V3.77) has a few oddities in it. One being the multispark thing being a default setting, another being an error in the code that means it won't work correctly where it doesn't directly read a trigger wheel itself, i.e. EDIS and others.

I upgraded to V3.78 and it basically went straight away, albeit roughly. I have since changed to MS2 extra code, it seems better supported and easier for a numpty like me. Top tip- get MS2 Extra on a microsquirt right away!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.