Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: spring rates and setups!
beaver34

posted on 1/1/13 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
spring rates and setups!

hi guys,

wanting a little help and info regarding spring rates

i run a live axle car thats on gaz shocks, many a moon ago it ran in the 750mc ad was just built for track use

when i got it i ran it mostly on the road, ive rebuilt it all and the suspension is the last thing that i want to sort that i am not happy with its very stiff and hard to drive over bumps etc...

is there anyway of telling what spring rate they are by measuring them or is it a case of sending them to by measured?

next what spring rates do people run and what are they using the cars for?

the car is about 550kg i had in my head that if i fit softer springs and make a ARB front and rear i will get more road compliance but still reduce the body roll

going to whip and shock of front and rear and measure them up and remove the springs too

thanks al

TheKingofBling

posted on 1/1/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

Most spring manufacturers stamp or etch on one end of the spring what the length and poundage are.

What i would suggest first is that you take one front and one rear shock from the car, remove the springs and see if there are any marks on them to establish your current poundage.

Spring lengths can be measured when you have the springs in your hands.

With regard to anti roll bars, front one might be something to look into, but no need for a rear anti roll bar on a live axle car.

Hope that helps and gives you a bit of a start.

DIRTY DOGG RACING

sebastiaan

posted on 1/1/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Spring rate can also be calculated from wire thickness, number of coils etc. Google "coil spring rate calculator". It is possible to get a quite good approximation of the spring rates currently fitted to your car.

But normally, the rate should be stamped on the coil somewhere....

beaver34

posted on 1/1/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys just whipped them off, no marking at all on them

just about my luck!

are there guides to springs rates that people are running?

also any one any pics of the ARB setups

the shocks sizes are as follows

front

12" open 10" closed

rear 13" open 10" closed

7" open front springs

8" open rear spings

pics of springs

MikeCapon

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
PM me your e-mail and I can send you an Excel spring rate calculator. Unfortunately it seems we can't attach files to post for downloads any more.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
on the front a 12" open damper will not have enough droop travel if using a ride height above 3 3/4". Common problem as both GAZ and AVO used to say that the Locost race cars needed 12" open .
You will need a 12 1/2" Min.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.