Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What are they like to live with?
86barettaguy

posted on 7/1/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
What are they like to live with?

So I've entertained the idea of a seven-ish roadster for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I've also entertained the idea of several other performance cars as well as race-cars (I'll have to brag a bit now about having made a CAD model of a Pontiac Fiero IMSA chassis from scans of the original drawings and photos with measurements supplied by an owner in exchange for the CAD work), some of which would probably prove to be hard to live with as I grow older. Could you imagine a 50-something (I'm not that old yet but I plan to get there) not-so-slim guy climbing into (and out of) the myriad of tubes of a GT1-type racecar on a regular basis? Well, I can imagine doing that, it would be totally worth carrying a small ladder in the passenger seat... Either way, a locost is a somewhat more realistic dream even in racecar form... I'm slightly torn here
So what is a sevenish roadster like to live with as you grow older?

designer

posted on 7/1/13 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I am 60 and a bit larger than the 95 percentile man, and there are not many that suit my size comfortably. I can squeeze into most 7's but look stupid. I ended up with a Robin Hood 2B, plenty of room and easy getting in and out.
YES, they are not the lightest, nor the fastest. But for cruising the roads here in France, they are the best, and I have tried a few. It's even better than my mates bike engined Dax, and that cost him a fortune!

[img]
[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnemms

posted on 7/1/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Buy one off Ebay - complete - finished - IVA'd
Very cheap - try it - dont like - sell it!
I'm 55 - just finished mine - looking forward to track days!!

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

bi22le

posted on 7/1/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think the noise or comfort once in would be the problem. Its getting in and out.

I find it annoying when I have to quickly get out to do something.

Undoing the harness
Upperbody strength to haul yourself up
Step out of the car
DO YA THING
Step back into the car
Re arrange the harness so you dont sit on it
Sit down
Do up your harness
Have a little shuffle to get comfortable.
Remeber the OTHER thing you needed to get!!!

Im 30 and find this a chore but this in some ways all part of owning and driving this type of car and I love it overall.

If I was really torn then I would go for the less dramatic car and if I wanted more then sell and go more extreme.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Dingz

posted on 7/1/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well I am over 60 still think they are great, ran mine for about year once as my only car but even I decided it wasn't too sensible! As said you can't make a fast get away and be prepared to be stared at, especially when you noncelantly? step out and trip over the harness!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

wilkingj

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 60 in March, and I loved my Viento. Main reason for getting a Viento, was that its dead easy to get in and out of. Much easier than a std sized Se7en car. I have upper body strength problems (read lower body weight problem) and found the Viento easy to get in and out of due to the sheer size of it.
Funnily enough, I found the MK Indy quite easy as well.

Yes Se7en's are a very different car to own and use. But they are just great cars to drive, simple to maintain, and fun to be in.
Like most Viento's I didnt have a windscreen of any kind, and used a full face Bike helmet, bike jacket and gloves, which was more than adequate for 90% of the time. You do need some sort of facial protection either a screen or a full helmet. A small stone / grit will sting, and a wasp / fly at speed really hurts!

I have sold my Viento, and sort of regret it, but then I was working to a plan.

Dont worry about your age, I have even seen a disabled chap in a Se7en with a small crane on the Back to lift himself in and out.

So get one, and enjoy it. You have already made the first and one of the most important steps... Thats signing on at Locostbuilders.
There is more help and advice that you can shake a stick at on here... plus a load of very knowlegeable and friendly chaps (oohh and even some chapesses)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
DO NOT BUY A CATERHAM S3. I have one and its absolutely tiny compared to most! great car though.
youd be fine with an mnr! plenty of room and well made

olimarler

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I dont think the noise or comfort once in would be the problem. Its getting in and out.

I find it annoying when I have to quickly get out to do something.

Undoing the harness
Upperbody strength to haul yourself up
Step out of the car
DO YA THING
Step back into the car
Re arrange the harness so you dont sit on it
Sit down
Do up your harness
Have a little shuffle to get comfortable.
Remeber the OTHER thing you needed to get!!!

Im 30 and find this a chore but this in some ways all part of owning and driving this type of car and I love it overall.

If I was really torn then I would go for the less dramatic car and if I wanted more then sell and go more extreme.

To many times strapped myself in and realised that my steering wheel is on the scuttle still!

I'm 6ft2 and I love it! It's snug but secure lol

Getting out and in ain't to bad even with a full cage in it

Oli

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with bi22le on the upper body strength. You need more than average if you have a larger than average belly...

Strengthen up by lifting yourself out of the bath a few times. This will simulate leaving your keys in your jeans pocket after filling up with gas...

Danozeman

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
This will simulate leaving your keys in your jeans pocket after filling up with gas...

Thats no joke. i did that quite a bit when i was first on the road.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Bare

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
There's one old guy with an SV Caterham. Bought it new after retirement, subsequently modded it with an MX5 engine and turbo.
He has devised a motor operated sling to lift his body in and out of the car... barely.
Good on him .. I suppose. But IMO he might be better off in a Mobility scooter.
Gawd knows what will happen when either his arms or his feet sieze .. while in traffic.
Seems either 30 somethings or Geriatrics buy these cars. Which one are you?

snapper

posted on 7/1/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
55 and I can get in and out with the full weather gear on
If I wanted an every day car I'd probably go for a Fisher Fury, quick as a 7, easy to live with as an MX5

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

wicket

posted on 7/1/13 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 70 and have no problems getting in or out.
FazerBob

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 63 and have a Robin Hood and a Lotus Elise. The Seven is much, much easier than the Elise to get in or out of.

Bob

RK

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Simply put, they are not the least bit practical. The good part is, unlike a motorbike, you can put some your tools in the passenger area or the boot, which you will need to do, as they are a constant essential.
David Jenkins

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've said it before, in other conversations... these cars are harsh, noisy, draughty, impractical and useless for day-to-day driving...

...which is why I love driving mine! (if only the weather would cooperate )

I should add that I've also done the "strap myself in, realise keys are in my trouser pocket" trick, more than a few times!

Not Anumber

posted on 8/1/13 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ok they are a bit trickier to get into and out of especially if there is weather gear in place but my experience is that it's as practical as any other small sportscar. As long as the electrics and mechanicals are put together correctly there is no reason why it shouldnt be used every day.
matt_gsxr

posted on 8/1/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
If you put in a full cage then it gives you something to pull yourself up with.

I think these cars can be fairly practical (car engine, heater, windscreen, comfy wide seats, reliable) but what would be the fun in that?

RK

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ever had an English sportscar from the 60's or 50's? If so, you know what you are getting into, as it were. They are a throwback, a reminder of times when automobiles were used for special trips, as in the film "Genvieve".
BangedupTiger

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a right fatty and I fit no problem in a normal tiger.

Tbh looking at some of the ages on here, I reckon their could be a few for sale in the not too distant future

Westy1994

posted on 8/1/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
I posted a very similar question some months back here and got mixed reviews, as long as you don't need to do many miles then its fine, or have to use it everyday during winter for instance. Since I posted my question I have since made some doors and a roof, and although getting in and out with the roof on is a task sometimes ( depending on what you are wearing) overall it makes it a far better drive, its off the road now, not because of winter but rather lack off cash for a tax disc, that leaves me with no car at all ( I still have the tintop buts its also sorned) but as I kept saying in my thread, I don't do many miles ( I never even managed the 1k limit on the insurance last year) and that was doing some goods runs out as well.

Like someone else said, if you have driven a 60's British sports car as a daily driver ( as I did for some years) then you will get the picture of how life will be in a 7 type car - i.e leaks when it rains, windows steam up at the same time etc etc etc.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
I'm a right fatty and I fit no problem in a normal tiger.

Tbh looking at some of the ages on here, I reckon their could be a few for sale in the not too distant future

Cheeky young whipper-snapper...

sebastiaan

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
This will simulate leaving your keys in your jeans pocket after filling up with gas...

I still do after 8 years on the road....

-matt

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

To be fair it's not as bad as the, strap your self in, engine on etc, then realise you left the steering wheel in the house!!!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.