Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IT Help needed on how to work baby cam
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/1/13 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
IT Help needed on how to work baby cam

Hi this is where my age starts to show...you know I use to be good with computers, probably still can program in cobol and pascal

Right so for Christmas I got a baby monitor, the ibaby one for ipads, iphones etc also shows it being used at work or not in your house, that is an important point there

Connected it to our netgear hub after spending money on a repeater thing I didn't even need cos I didn't understand the instructions, first mistake £40 what a waste, maybe I'll find a use for that like propping up a table not a good start

Anyway did get the camera working perfectly with apple gadgets no issues with those at all in the house, kinda expected that but now here's the problem. If I got out the house i.e. out of range of my wifi and try and connect to the camera using my 3G I can't connect, hmm what the smeg and why not? doesn't work on my pad, the phone or my laptop, ohhhhh nooooo

So then I started going through the instructions again, got totally lost tbh am I suppose to set this thing up like an internet webcam or something?! I haven't a clue how to do that and worse I promised my mother in law she'd be able to see the baby sleeping in the nursery live on her laptop in her house, ahh!

Seriously how the hell do I do all this stuff? come on computer guru's help please and don't make it all complicated techno babble...

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joneh

posted on 10/1/13 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

If you leave your wireless network and try to connect via 3G you're no longer internal to your network and will need to connect via your external IP address.

To find this external address you can got to Google and type "what is my IP address". This would be the address to enter externally. However, you'll also need a port forward setup on your router to allow you to connect to the camera. Www.portforward.com will tell you how to do this. Assuming the camera uses port 80, follow the guide for http.

I'll do a more detailed reply when I get to work, if no one beats me to it, as I'm typing this on my phone!

Jon

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
Hi,

If you leave your wireless network and try to connect via 3G you're no longer internal to your network and will need to connect via your external IP address.

To find this external address you can got to Google and type "what is my IP address". This would be the address to enter externally. However, you'll also need a port forward setup on your router to allow you to connect to the camera. Www.portforward.com will tell you how to do this. Assuming the camera uses port 80, follow the guide for http.

I'll do a more detailed reply when I get to work, if no one beats me to it, as I'm typing this on my phone!

Jon

Thank for that, I'll have a look at that website and see if I can make sense of it

Cheers

Ok I read through the info on the portforwarding site for our bt hub (then goes via a cable to a net gear wireless transmitter)

Am I right in thinking then that in order for me to view the camera over the Internet I actually need a computer running too? The software is £30 which seems quite pricey is this the best one to use?

Thanks

[Edited on 10/1/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisL

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
If you just connect to the camera inside the house then you don't need a computer running. What you are trying to to is make the connection, to the camera, available outside the house, so that means the Bt hub aka router, need to offer the connection on the outside of you r network. How do you connect to the camera inside of the house? Via an application or can you do it via a web browser. Also be aware that making the connection available outside of your network means the whole world can see it, so if you need set up some authentication
ko_racer

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to use it from outside your home network you will also need to configure DDNS as most home internet services don't have a static IP address.

When you go the whatismyip.com it will show your current IP address, this however does change quite often unless your provider gives static IP addresses.
You can use a free DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name Service) service to give you a name rather than IP address to connect to. Something like myhome.dlinkddns.com (just an example of a DNS name) will be pointed to your current IP address, your home router needs configuring for DDNS so than when your home IP address changes it also changes the record for myhome.dlinkddns.com

Sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Agriv8

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
wippy,

If you can work out the 'assigned' IP Address of the camera ( you router should tell you this if you can log into it probably under DHCP assigned IP addresses) . These units ussually have Web page access so when you type the IP address into your Browser you can get to an administration page ( in the same way that you adminster your Router ).

HTH Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Slimy38

posted on 10/1/13 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer
When you go the whatismyip.com it will show your current IP address, this however does change quite often unless your provider gives static IP addresses.

It doesn't seem to change that often now. It used to change every time in the days of dial up, but now we're 'always on' they remain fairly static. My Sky one hasn't changed since we had the new fibre broadband last year.

ChrisL

posted on 10/1/13 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto my NTL one, been the same for years, but it can change whenever NTL want
mark chandler

posted on 10/1/13 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
On mine I had to put the camera on the dirty side of the DMZ, treat it as an exposed host.

Assign a dedicated address to the camera (which takes out of the DHCP pool)
Configure static NAT and port

Register with a DNS provider who will then do a reverse look up and assign a host name, you then access by a URL not IP address

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/13 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
On mine I had to put the camera on the dirty side of the DMZ, treat it as an exposed host.

Assign a dedicated address to the camera (which takes out of the DHCP pool)
Configure static NAT and port

Register with a DNS provider who will then do a reverse look up and assign a host name, you then access by a URL not IP address

thanks I'm sure this ^ is really helpful but I don't understand any of it sorry

I've read through all the other posts and kinda getting the idea, I'll reread the manual and see if it helps

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.