Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: It's beautiful day to...
theduck

posted on 13/1/13 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
It's beautiful day to...

Well for me, it's a beautiful day to do lots of little jobs on the kit I didn't have the bits for, and also make a start on some other new jobs that bits have arrived for! So I'm up, breakfasted, and stood enjoying my first ciggy of the day before getting started on the first full days work in the garage in months! All with the wife's consent who is still tucked up in bed as muttered something about me being mad as I got up.

What's everyone else upto today?

big_wasa

posted on 13/1/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I enjoyed doing car bits yesterday, I've got to go shopping if I want any brekfast.
A1

posted on 13/1/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
was meant to be taking my neighbor for a blast in the car but its bloody snowing... so Im clearing out the garage cause you can only just get in it. might wash her too!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/1/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just stuck the mesh in my Nosecone and will be swapping my radiator over once I've had breaky.

I got some thermal overalls from lidl before Xmas so I've done loads in the garage recently as I don't get cold and dirty

[Edited on 13/1/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

deezee

posted on 13/1/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Been for a 5k jog and now warming up the car for a drive. Not to bad on the Wirral, weather wise.

theduck

posted on 13/1/13 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Going well so far this morning. Have fitted new bottom rad hose as the old one fouled the nose cone, trial fitted nose cone and much better fit. Have fitted new master cylinder but remote reservoir hasn't turned up yet so have to wait until next weekend to fit that. Still a long list to go but full of optimism today.
bi22le

posted on 13/1/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just got mobile as Im hungover from last nights entertainment.

Going for a walk with The wife over the heath the tidying the house and may book a track day.

Happy times.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

spiderman

posted on 13/1/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
was meant to be taking my neighbor for a blast in the car but its bloody snowing... so Im clearing out the garage cause you can only just get in it. might wash her too!

Wash her? is that the neighbour or the car?

Spider

Danozeman

posted on 13/1/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to be doin diy but instead the wifes gone out so i have the kids so no diy for me oh well.

I did fire the kit car up yesterday for the first time in a year. need to clear my garage so i can get to the car. then change my shocks when they turn arrive.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

GonzoRacer

posted on 13/1/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good morning, Gentlemen-
On this side of the Atlantic, it's 0800, I'm the only one up at my house and I'm working on my second cup of coffee and staring at the Slotus. Might be a good day to fiddle with ride height and/or touch up some fiberglass. (Should that be fibre glass? Or is it glass fibre? "English" is my second language...)

Cheers-
JDK

[Edited on 13/1/13 by GonzoRacer]

"And it wasn't even a full moon."

steve m

posted on 13/1/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I got up at 12
AndyW

posted on 13/1/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cut a hole in the rear panel.....

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Fitted fuel cap.....

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Now I have to fit the speedo sensor for the acewell dash, tidy all the dash wires behind, wire in brake warning light to res, refit one tunnel side once I find a piece of grey carpet that matches the rest (i have run out )
Bleed the brakes, secure nosecone properly. IVA it......

[Edited on 13/1/13 by AndyW]

Peteff

posted on 13/1/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Fitted fuel cap.....

[img] Description
Description
[/img].

That's upside down

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 13/1/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well yesterday I went out on the scrounge for some wood thinking that by today everything would be covered in snow and soaking wet..

Anyway up at 12 after a night out on the papers, spent the afternoon smashing pallets up, then fired the beast up and cut it all up into nice bits that fit on the fire. Still not got the heating on yet and its toasty in here with my free heat!

Walked past the car a few times and thought "bloody thing in the way as usual" Really need to have a look behind the couch and see if I can find some inspiration!

And, thinking about some cider to try and forget the week from hell concerning City Link and parcel couriers!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

theduck

posted on 13/1/13 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
After a successful day in the garage I'm now sat at the dining table(!) doing dash design.
AndyW

posted on 13/1/13 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Fitted fuel cap.....

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

That's upside down

Dont know what you mean!!!

[Edited on 13/1/13 by AndyW]

rodgling

posted on 13/1/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Spent a while messing around with the steering column mounts trying to reduce play in the steering. I think I've managed a bit of improvement but it did mean I had to look at all the wiring under the dash which to be honest is best not ever looked at. Bled the brakes too but they still feel a bit spongey. Fairly productive afternoon I think.
sdh2903

posted on 13/1/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
where abouts you getting play Dave?

rodgling

posted on 13/1/13 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
There is (was) a little side-to-side / up-and-down movement in the column, you could feel it at the wheel or at the upper UJ. Not loads but could be better.

I think the problem is in the BMW pillow-block mount - it allows the column to pivot so you can get the up and down adjustability... but it also introduces a little play. I've tried wrapping the pillow-block with a bit of gaffer tape so it's all a bit tighter in there which seems to have helped, also tightened the bolt below the height adjuster - it won't go up and down any more but I'm not fussed about that.

I'm not sure actually if I'm missing a part - should I have 12 and 13 as separate "floating" parts in this diagram, or are they attached to the column?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CD91&mospid=47449&btnr=32_0710&hg=32&fg=30

sdh2903

posted on 13/1/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I ditched the whole pillow block and all the guff with it as it was over complex and had play in it as you describe. I simply welded a bracket to the column tube and bolted straight to the chassis. steering is now solid.

FazerBob

posted on 13/1/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
lovely productive day - finished making a manual choke conversion, then decided it would be a good idea to look at the oil leak from the cam cover, and fit a new gasket.

While the cam cover is off decided to rub it down and paint it, after removing that horrible little captive nut bracket that l keep catching my hand on.
Walked from the bench back to the car to pick up a file and thought 'while I'm here I might as well take off the cam belt cover' cos it looks a bit tatty, and could do with a coat of paint.

When I was looking around for a 10mm ratchet spanner I found the 13mm ring spanner that was hidden yesterday by someone sneaking into my locked garage! As I had the right spanner in my hand decided to remove the original fan, ready to replace it with the electric fan I bought recently - the one I can't quite find at the moment.

Probably been stolen by the bugger who keeps getting into the garage and hiding things from me.

Why do my Sons keep calling me the butterfly builder? Butterflies are those insecty things that flit around from place to place without really doing anything.

Bob

rodgling

posted on 13/1/13 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, maybe that's the way to go for a future project then. Good to know, thanks.
snakebelly

posted on 14/1/13 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
It's a beautiful day to....
Be having breakfast at a seat overlooking Kandy in Sri Lanka, just about too leave for a train journey from Kandy to Ella, weather gorgeous and not a hint of snow :-)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.