Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Responsibility for leaking sewer main
James

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Responsibility for leaking sewer main

Twice a week I drive down a road in the town centre over a manhole that, judging by the water coming out of it and the stench that then fills the car is a leaking sewer main.

Who's responsibility is it? It's been like this well over a month and as the locals don't seem to want to do anything about it I thought I would call.

Is it Thames Water? As the 'sewer company'? Or one of the many seemingly random water companies and hard to track down?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

gremlin1234

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
you should be able to report it through
http://www.fixmystreet.com/

nick205

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
We have a manhole a few hundred yards down the road that has been spewing out water for nearly 2 weeks. To the extent that it has lifted the cast iron manhole cover. The water is clean in this case.

I drove past it for a couple of days assuming the people in the immediate area would have called the water company. When nothing happened I called the water company who confirmed it had been reported numerous times. They had attended and determined it was ground water and nothing to do with their network. A quick follow up call to the council confirmed the same. Their response was unless it presented a road hazard then no further action would be taken.

In your case if there's sewage involved there must be a health and safety issue. At the very least it will contaminate the surrounding ground water. I'd start with the council and see what they say.

dave r

posted on 15/1/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
local water board...
even if it was put in by the firm that built the houses, it has most likely been adopted by them

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

avagolen

posted on 15/1/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I once had to phone in to the council about a sewage leakage in a similar situation.

I was given the runaround and phoned different people until I ended up at the first person I had called.
I asked the guy on the phone who he would call if he had the problem.

He said then that 'he was that person....'

He got it sorted quickly then.

Best of luck.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

Bare

posted on 15/1/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely! Typical snivel servant attitude where 'work is extra'
The RAJ didn't die out, it merely moved back home :-)

[Edited on 15/1/13 by Bare]

scrappy_7

posted on 15/1/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there Any sewer that is shared By more than one property is the respounsabilty of the local water athorty

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.