Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting the busa in the cold
parkiboy

posted on 17/1/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Starting the busa in the cold

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now but when the weather is real cold out, the busa engine in my car takes some starting, I know the bike has a choke for these situations but the car does not so how do you correctly start the engine first time in the cold weather?

Thanks

gaz_gaz

posted on 17/1/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I had this problem too
I used to either spin it over for ages or pop the hood off and do the choke withy hand.. Hold it on for 5 or 6 seconds then she's good for the day.
But I recently spotted a choke cable setup in a local autoshop for a fiver.. Bought and fitted that and it works a treat.
10 mins work to fit aswell.

[Edited on 17/1/13 by gaz_gaz]

dhutch

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not familur with the engine, whats its fueling arrangment?

I start the CVH by pumping the pedal to get the accelerator jets to dump the extra fuel that you would get from the choke, takes a bit of practice to get roughly they right amount (ie, enough, without flooding it) but it pretty good, although I have to say if the choke works well and I was using it often I would be investing in a choke cable!

Daniel

parkiboy

posted on 17/1/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Not familur with the engine, whats its fueling arrangment?

I start the CVH by pumping the pedal to get the accelerator jets to dump the extra fuel that you would get from the choke, takes a bit of practice to get roughly they right amount (ie, enough, without flooding it) but it pretty good, although I have to say if the choke works well and I was using it often I would be investing in a choke cable!

Daniel

That's currently how I'm doing it, but it takes me a couple of attempts and I am scared I'm going to flood it everytime I do it lol. I will have a look around for a custom DIY choke cable kit then and get that fitted!

Thanks

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
The Busa has fuel injection doesn't it? If so there is no acceleration pump and pumping the throttle won't help (but neither should it flood the engine). The "Choke" on the bike is simply a fast idle mechanism, any fuel enrichment should be provided by the ECU in relation to coolant temperature.

[Edited on 17/1/13 by MikeRJ]

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/1/13 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar issue on my vvc engine and when I wen to rolling road we set up the cold start first as it was a bitch after this it starts first time no probs all the fuelling was out on cold start is yours set up and tuned etc good luck
parkiboy

posted on 17/1/13 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mine was setup my day tuner on a power commander V but it wasn't a particularly cold time of year when it was set up.

At the minute if I start it while slightly havin my foot on the accelerator it is normally enough to keep the revs up to get it started, my friend has a busa bike, by the sound of it it needs either a retune at this time of year or a choke fitting then?

[Edited on 17/1/13 by parkiboy]

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Power Commander has no temperature compensation available, it simply adjusts the ECU's injector pulse by a percentage which depends on RPM and throttle opening.

It may be that the PC has been mapped to make the idle mixture quite weak to aid with emissions, and this is hurting cold starting. Download the Power Commander software and take a look at the map. If fueling for the low rpm, zero throttle bin has been significantly reduced, then simply add some more fuel here. Save the original map as a backup.

parkiboy

posted on 17/1/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Power Commander has no temperature compensation available, it simply adjusts the ECU's injector pulse by a percentage which depends on RPM and throttle opening.

It may be that the PC has been mapped to make the idle mixture quite weak to aid with emissions, and this is hurting cold starting. Download the Power Commander software and take a look at the map. If fueling for the low rpm, zero throttle bin has been significantly reduced, then simply add some more fuel here. Save the original map as a backup.

I'll take a look but I already had an emissions map this was meant to be a power map so I can't see why he would have done that but I shall take a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.