Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bicycles made in Britain?
matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bicycles made in Britain?

Hi there,

I need a new bike for commuting and I'd like to try to buy british but can't afford a properly expensive (i.e. 4 figures) bike.

Most of the components are made abroad (unavoidable), but there must be some opportunity for UK engineering effort.

In terms of spec, either fixed or alfine hub gear, and ideally disk brakes (cause I haven't had them before), straight handlebars and no suspension. I don't want to get a Brompton because I want proper wheels. I accept I might get a slightly low spec for the money, but I can feel supercilious which will make up for it.

Any thoughts on bikes that have a higher than average UK content or at least UK owned?

Closest I can get is Pace 4216 (which does look very pretty)

Matt

daniel mason

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
not overly good with bikes,but are the chris boardman range not uk made?

tul214

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cotic?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
not overly good with bikes,but are the chris boardman range not uk made?

Manufactured in Taiwan

gazza285

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Paul Milnes.
On-one.
Charge.
Dawes.
Claud Butler.
Ellis Briggs.
Pashley.
Ridgeback.

Amongst others, although as you say, not many do much in the way of UK production.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tul214

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Paul Milnes.
On-one.
Charge.
Dawes.
Claud Butler.
Ellis Briggs.
Pashley.
Ridgeback.

Amongst others, although as you say, not many do much in the way of UK production.

Aren't Orange built somewhere near you too?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

jossey

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Pashley?

Woodrup cycles?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
me!

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Best I could manage, I'm sure you could throw some flat bars on if you wanted to!

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-one/day-one-disc

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
Pashley?

Woodrup cycles?

Pashley are a bit too "last of the summer wine"

Woodrup make lovely bikes and definitely make their own frames, but more than £2k for a bike is too much.

I think these are more british than many though.

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Paul Milnes.
On-one.
Charge.
Dawes.
Claud Butler.
Ellis Briggs.
Pashley.
Ridgeback.

good list, and Genesis and Orange look interesting too.

I will have to do some research. I guess the best I can aim for is UK made tubing (Reynolds) that is fixed together in the UK and then assembled here too.
This does seem to come with a substantial premium, but much of that will be UK taxes paying for stuff I need so its just an investment of sorts.

Matt

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your help with this.

Matt

morcus

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Easiest way would be to get an old bike.

Get yourself a Norman, They even named a street in honour of the Factory.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ianclark1275

posted on 19/1/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
im sure claud butler are totally made in north linconshire

ive had them for years...

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Andybarbet

posted on 19/1/13 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting thread

I've been cycling to work since October, im now thinking of getting a proper bike, mine is a cheap cheap piece of rubbish but hey, it was given to me & has done ok so far but showing signs of imminent failure !

I will be selling my Vespa in the spring & putting some of the money towards a new commuter bike, I have been looking on pauls cycles website at last years models but wouldnt have a clue what ones (if any ?) are made here on british soil ??

My budget is going to be around £450 so not in the big league this year but I too would like disc brakes because this winter, the old school rubber brake pads have had me worried a couple of times

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

matt_gsxr

posted on 19/1/13 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Re: Norman. Can't be bothered with fixing a bike up as it is a commute bike so won't get any love.

Plan is to buy a new one, run it for about 15000miles which is 5 years (replacing tyres, brake pads, chains/rear-sprocket) after which time I can get a new one again. Last time around it was a Specialized Langster (2007), but that is failing (knackered Bottom Bracket, grinding from rear wheel, and I've neglected the tyres, brakes, drivetrain a bit too much) to that needs moving on.

Bikes are like cars, very expensive to build from bits. I save loads over driving to work, so don't mind buying new.

Matt

p.s. Cotic sounds promising, at least they design the frame and put the components together onto it.

p.p.s. From what I can gather Claud Bulter are owned by Falcon who in turn are part of the Tandem Group Plc. according to their investor presentation they ceased production of bicycles in 2006 and manufacturer "Manufacturing outsourced to Far East and Europe".

Blackbird Rush

posted on 19/1/13 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt

I have 2 uk built bikes, an orange mountain bike and a Dawes road bike an i'm very pleased with both.

Both were bought 2nd hand from eBay at good prices , the orange was just the frame (old o2 hardtail) and swapped over the running gear from my old bike and the Dawes was a giro 500 complete bike (changed the bars to triathlon aeros now)

One thing we can still make in the uk is good bikes!

Ash

Davey D

posted on 20/1/13 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Dawes hard tail MTB for a few years, and it served me well. I only sold it because I bought a norco (canadian) full suspension bike.

As mentioned above, the Claud butler/falcon cycles factory is in Brigg, in North Lincs

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/1/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Dave yates brilliant frame builder was involved with joe waugh years ago, now doing his own thoing. I'm no cycle buff but my lad poicked up a waugh and it was a fantastic bike until he out grew it.
Hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

matt_gsxr

posted on 20/1/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
I had a Dawes hard tail MTB for a few years, and it served me well. I only sold it because I bought a norco (canadian) full suspension bike.

As mentioned above, the Claud butler/falcon cycles factory is in Brigg, in North Lincs

Sadly, Claud Butler/Falcon/Dawes/elswich/British Eagle, are all owned by Tandem, and no longer produced in the UK. Details from their report indicate that since 2006 all bikes have been imported complete (link above). There may be some design work in the UK, and other business activities, but not really what I was hoping for.

I also found this on a forum:
"I did some work in the Falcoln cycles/claude butler factory in Brigg a couple of years ago. As far as I know both brands are still produced in Cambodia and the factory in brigg is purely an import facility now."

Orange do have UK credentials, but I don't want a mountain bike.

Matt

johnny chimpo

posted on 20/1/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Check out state bicycles.

A guy I work with bought a fiixie from them and its absolutely cracking! He's also said the customer service was one of the best companies he's ever dealt with.

Here's a pic of the bike he bought....

[Edited on 20/1/13 by johnny chimpo]

jossey

posted on 20/1/13 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I used to race bikes n kona n orange are my favourite orange for people shorter and kona do longer frames so better for me as I'm 6ft 3.

Shame they ain't British.

I would only now buy kona :-) long frame and I broke one and they took it away n built me a nee one with the old parts n up new parts on the bis they couldn't re use :-)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

matt_gsxr

posted on 21/1/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Pashley are the closest to production in the UK, they make their frames and stuff.
Prices are high, but not mental like the custom built stuff. They are not a slave to fashion.
If you want a small wheel bike the Brompton and probably Moulton.

The test of whether its made here is that if it is then they will show a factory tour on their website. If they don't then most likely the frames are made elsewhere, and maybe the whole bike is made elsewhere.

adithorp

posted on 21/1/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Sadly, you're pretty much more likely to find a chocolate tea pot than a mass produced british bike.

There's stilla few frame builders (Bob Jackson-Leeds, ChasRoberts-London, BrianRourke-Stoke) that'll build you a bespoke frame but that'll cost. Just about everything else come in from the far east.

For your spec (apart from the UK bit) THIS Kona looks OK. Evans site is pretty good for browsing different models. The current Langster is in there long with other fixed bikes (but all drop bars and no disc brakes apart from the very nice/expensive BMC).

Do the Uni'opereate the "Bike to Work" scheme? Worth looking into, as it basically gets the the bike tax free so saves about 25% (payment made from salary before tax/NI)

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 21/1/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not what you want but British designed and made.
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/
http://www.brompton.co.uk/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

adithorp

posted on 21/1/13 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Probably not what you want but British designed and made.
http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/
http://www.brompton.co.uk/

"...I don't want to get a Brompton because I want proper wheels..." Matt

This in the first post kind of rules them out.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.