Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Central heating oil leak!
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/1/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Central heating oil leak!

Afternoon all,

Im looking for a bit of help from the LCB Collective again! I have a strong smell of Kerosene in the house this morning, on closer inspection I have taken the front cover of the boiler and the flexi feed pipe has started leaking where its crimped. Basically its dipping about once a second while the boiler isnt running but when it kicks in the leak stops, Is there anything that anyone knows of that will seal the leak as a temporary fix while I try to source another hose? Also is there a clever way of stopping the oil from flowing if I remove the hose? All help greatly appreciated!

rusty nuts

posted on 20/1/13 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Are you able to turn off the fuel supply at the storage tank outlet while repairing the leak?? You will lose a small amount of fuel in the pipe
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/1/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got this

I had trouble a couple of days ago where the line froze up! and the knob on the front wouldnt turn at all but a short gentle burst with a hot air gun sorted that but didnt think to try it again as I had covered it all up with lagging. I just tried again and now it will turn but im a bit scared of making things worse! Will that knob on the front turn the supply off so I can get another flexi made up?

Thanks for the quick reply!

owelly

posted on 20/1/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Try Denso tape as a temp fix or more readily available on a Sunday afternoon, self amalgamating tape.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 20/1/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Halfrauds should have it on the shelf
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/1/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Well I took the plunge and fiddled with the knob thingie (very technical) and managed to turn the oil off and have removed the offending pipe! So I will try to get hold of another one tomorrow, Is it likely to be a fairly common size/ hose or will I need to get one custom made? I wouldnt have thought anywhere that is open today would have one on the shelf? The nearest B&Q is about 15 miles away but would they be likely to have one?
MakeEverything

posted on 20/1/13 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
Well I took the plunge and fiddled with the knob thingie (very technical) and managed to turn the oil off and have removed the offending pipe! So I will try to get hold of another one tomorrow, Is it likely to be a fairly common size/ hose or will I need to get one custom made? I wouldnt have thought anywhere that is open today would have one on the shelf? The nearest B&Q is about 15 miles away but would they be likely to have one?

So no hot water or heating until then?? I would have left it until the morning.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

BigFaceDave

posted on 20/1/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is its in a outhouse which is used for storage and its rather tricky to get to (got to empty the outhouse to get to it properly and the snow was just starting again) I have the water on a immersion heater in the tank as well and have a fireplace in the sitting room so its not as bad as it could be plus I have to leave for work at 5.30ish tomorrow morning and knew I would neevr get up in time to take it off then!
dmac

posted on 20/1/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
We used to have oil central heating and the flexible pipe was a regular failure. I don't think B&Q sell them, I used to get them from the Plumb Centre.

Duncan

les g

posted on 20/1/13 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
now you have the pipe off cut off the crimp saw/slitting disc now pull off flexi hose tape around flexi hose 3/4 inch from end and cut 3/4 inch of hose off push hose back onto pipetail and secure with a jubilee clip as a temp repair.
worked for me ...
cheers les g

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.