Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Media Centre type PC....
mcerd1

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
OT - Media Centre type PC....

with the pending 'upgrade' of the living room my ugly old (but fairly quick) PC is beign banished to another room

but we'd still like to be able to browse the internet, stream stuff, watch/listen to dvd's, CD's, mp3's (100gb of mp3's between us and growing all the time...) and loads of other little things that you really need a 'proper' computer for
basicaly a smart tv isn't going cut it (and the price is scary )

I know I could get a laptop and plug it into the telly, but I'm looking for a neater 'built-in' solution (hopefuly a bit cheaper too )

Amongst the old odds n' sods in my scrap PC pile I've got a nice SB X-Fi card with a fornt input/output pannel (old fashoned but still quite good)
so I figured that with a basic MB, higher spec i3/entry level i5, x64 win7 (home edition?), a couple of GB of RAM and ~1TB SATA HDD would about do it - what do you think ?

so unless anyone has any other ideas I'm looking for a nice neat little media centre case / barebone to build from (good s/h is not out of the question) ideally with 2x 5.25" bays - any suggestions ?

and any advice on the best way to set these up ?

cheers
-Robert

(the sooner this is all sorted, the sooner I can get back to building the Dax )

-

MakeEverything

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking for the same, and eventually bought an "Apple TV" device, which is basically a wifi box that collects / gives access to all your media and other computers. Its not limited to iTunes either, so can be used to play "Personal electronic copies" of your backed up videos...

Good bit of kit for £100.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jollygreengiant

posted on 23/1/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running a 37" Panasonic TV which is connected to an Onkyo TX NR414 Av receiver. This is hard wired to the internet. In the back of this are 6 HDTV inputs into which I have plugged, Cable TV, Panasonic VHS/DVD/hard drive player, and a Lenovo Q180 Computer/Blue Ray player (the lenovo Q180 is about the thickness and height of 3 dvd cases and only about an inch and a half deeper) into which I can plug usb hard drives and a web cam.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

wylliezx9r

posted on 23/1/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Get one of these:
WD TV LIVE

I 've had one about a year, awesome bit of kit and very compact, all the same features (and more) as a smart TV.

HTH Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

gremlin1234

posted on 23/1/13 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
you could build a media centre based on a raspberry pi

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/desktops/how-to-tu rn-your-raspberry-pi-into-an-xbmc-media-centre-50008599/

SeaBass

posted on 23/1/13 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you can handle the lack of optical media (although it can be included via USB)...

Raspberry Pi everytime. Silent. Full HD streaming etc etc.

JC

Proby

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I use a gen 1 apple tv, but with XBMC installed instead of the std apple software. Got this hardwired to my network, and access all my MP3's, movies etc from my NAS drive. Used this set up for 4 years or so now and it's great.

Visit GraphicMonster

mcerd1

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
have to admit I never thought about a Raspberry... might have to give it a go for all it'll cost

its been along, long time since I played about with this sort of thing (and I was never any good at it) - so any idiot proof hints/tips/suggestions are welcome

[Edited on 23/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

mds167

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
Get one of these:
WD TV LIVE

I 've had one about a year, awesome bit of kit and very compact, all the same features (and more) as a smart TV.

HTH Dan

I was looking at the hub version of this - includes a 1TB hard drive. But doesn't have integral wi-fi - needs a dongle.

Have you got the Live hooked up to a NAS?

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

MikeRJ

posted on 23/1/13 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mds167
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
Get one of these:
WD TV LIVE

HTH Dan

I was looking at the hub version of this - includes a 1TB hard drive. But doesn't have integral wi-fi - needs a dongle.

Have you got the Live hooked up to a NAS?

I would strongly recommend an ethernet connection for any kind of network media player.

lsdweb

posted on 23/1/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just before Christmas I bought an Android Smart TV Box for the TV in our new bedroom to watch Netflix, iPlayer, 4OD etc. It is sh*t ! Netflix doesn't work, Blinkbox doesn't work. Youtube doesn't work, ITVPlayer doesn't work, 4OD doesn't work. It is clunky and slow (on Ethernet) and crashes a lot!

It's this one - Cyclone NANO Slim+ Plus Black Android Smart TV Box Internet HD Media Player Hub

The device you've linked to Dan looks good! Do the TV players (Iplayer, 4OD etc ) work?

Thanks

Wyn

Slimy38

posted on 23/1/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

I would strongly recommend an ethernet connection for any kind of network media player.

Strongly agreed, wireless might have the bandwidth but not the consistency. Ethernet is the way to go.

Marcus

posted on 23/1/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Got to agree with the XBMC setup. I've got it running on a Raspberry pi and for streaming, its great.
It will even stream video from an iPad / iPod etc a huge bonus for me, saved me £100 for an Apple TV!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Well you've talked me into it - I've ordered my Raspberry Pi

the last time I looked at the inner workings of a computer in any depth it was an 8 bit CMOS 6502 - so I may need some time to update knowledge!

-

Peteff

posted on 24/1/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
We watch youtube and iplayer wirelessly on a Nintendo Wii

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mcerd1

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ my house is a CFZ (console free zone)

the GF can't stand them and I'm not a big fan either - so no Wii, PS3 or X-Box's....

-

scudderfish

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

the last time I looked at the inner workings of a computer in any depth it was an 8 bit CMOS 6502 - so I may need some time to update knowledge!

Go here :- http://www.raspbmc.com

stevebubs

posted on 25/1/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap Android Tablet with microHDMI port...

e.g. NatPC X2

TimEllershaw

posted on 25/1/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Go here :- http://www.raspbmc.com

or here : http://djb31st.co.uk/blog/catch-up-tv-on-raspberry-pi-raspbmc-bbc-iplayer/

I've had a bit of a play with XBMC and a Pi and it was all surprisingly easy.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 27/1/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershawI've had a bit of a play with XBMC and a Pi and it was all surprisingly easy.

success !!!

XBMC + Pi =

don't think it'll be my long term solution but its a nice little toy that'll get me by for now

[Edited on 27/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

David Jenkins

posted on 27/1/13 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone's considering buying a Raspberry Pi then I recommend that you get it from Farnell/Element 14 - Radiospares are getting a reputation for long lead times.

mcerd1

posted on 27/1/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
got mine from ModMyPi bundled with a case, came the next day
its an element14 one they supply

-

mcerd1

posted on 27/1/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
update - minor issue

when playing MP3's of a USB stick it will play the first track perfectly, but seems to freeze up when it loads the next one ?? anyone had this issue ?

- sorted, updated to the latest version and its seems to be sorted

[Edited on 27/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.