Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Middle lane Hoggers??!!
coozer

posted on 26/1/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Middle lane Hoggers??!!

Why do car drivers insist on sticking to the middle lane?

I drive up and down the A1/M18/M1 nearly every day and the dopes stick to the middle and on the 4 lane bit of the M1 lane 2 and 3..

Then they cut me up when they want to get to the exit...

So, the point is... last night the motorways where stuffed with snow and all the usual suspects decide the inside lane at 25mph is good.. Doh!

Apart from one on the M18, stuck in the middle lane at 30mph.. I come behind and, doing what I normally see Range Rover drivers do, I flash.. then I get brake lights, hazard lights over and over.. JUST MOVE OVER TOSSER! Who thinks its good to brake in front of an artic??

Anyway the tosser refused so against my better judgement I moved into lane 3 and zoomed past.. that made the car move over

AND, just cause its snowing doesn't mean you have to drive at 30mph with ALL the fog lights on, front and back!

I could rant on all day about the way peeps drive on the motorways but last night really showed up the lack of driving ability class B drivers have..

Cider time....

[Edited on 26/1/13 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Slimy38

posted on 26/1/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
My uncle was taught to use the middle lane by default (the left hand lane is for lorries apparently). Unfortunately he was also taught that 55 is the ideal cruising speed, which makes for a very frustrating combination.

My pet hate is someone doing 50 in a 60, and then 50 in a 40.

Of course, it doesn't help that we're taught to pass the test, not to learn how to drive.

JoelP

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its war out there to be honest, i just take no prisioners when they annoy me.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

daniel mason

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i just undertake everyone. i just sit at 70mph in inside lane!

Ninehigh

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason

Yep, do that all the time... And in all this time ONE person has twigged and moved over

jack_t

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
its not undertaking if you are below the speedlimit

owelly

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Undertaking by definition is an offence but you can pass on the left providing you don't change lanes to cary-out the manouver. It's called 'filtering' and can be done at any speed as long as you're not exceeding the limit or driving dangerously or inconsiderately.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 26/1/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
it's not undertaking if you don't maneuver to do it. just sit on inside lane no offence committed officer.

Seriously though why is it not an offence? It would help ease congestion. I had it today, 2 lane bit of the m8, lady in a posh new Merc Sat in outside lane at 60 mph, after 6 miles she finally moved in, I go past at 75 2 mins later she flies past at 80+, just no logic to it.

scudderfish

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Overtake outside lane. Move over to inside and slow down until they pass. Move back to outside and overtake, move back to inside and slow. Repeat orbiting them until they move to the inside lane to spoil your fun
puma931

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
it's not undertaking if you don't maneuver to do it. just sit on inside lane no offence committed officer.

Seriously though why is it not an offence? It would help ease congestion. I had it today, 2 lane bit of the m8, lady in a posh new Merc Sat in outside lane at 60 mph, after 6 miles she finally moved in, I go past at 75 2 mins later she flies past at 80+, just no logic to it.

She was on the phone!!!!!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a transit 190 recovery with only 70hp Di lump and it takes a while to get to 60mph when loaded no chance of 70 unless down hill even then I use the box to hold it back due to no ABS. Middle lane morons are a pain in the arse I can't go round the outside unless it's 1/4 clear behind me so I end up going round the inside. When the diesel lump comes out and gets replaced with the 2.9 cologne engine I'm fitting a bull bar with some 100w spots at rear window height.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Driving to work there is a Mini Roundabout 5 cars from a traffic light junction.
Always causes stupidity.

But one day there was a Motoring school car stopped on top of it, and no learner present.

Was very tempted to stop and ask why no Instructor

does a 4 lane road not cause confusion for them.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I keep it at 75, but i have to be really careful as i'm in a van covered in company sign writing and i had a middle land hogger ring up and complain for undertaking. Got a bollocking for it and its not a good image for the company, blah blah blah

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

philw

posted on 26/1/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That is called filtering, and it's perfectly legal

Must try harder

NigeEss

posted on 26/1/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Undertaking is done by funeral directors.

Passing on the inside is what happens on the road

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

BangedupTiger

posted on 26/1/13 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I usually sit in the outside lane.
Simon

posted on 27/1/13 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
I "underetake" middle lane hoggers (but usually have a quick check to make sure the plod aren't around) as I find them quite stupid at times and they'd see the undertake as an offence (and therefore taxable) rather than stopping the selfish hogger.

It isn't legal or illegal - there isn't a law against it from what I can gather but some plod think there is. So long as the traffic in lanes 2 and 3 etc (not slow, inside, middle, fast or outside lanes - the "outside" might be misconstrued as the one on the edge with a hard shoulder, the inside with a central reservation) is going slower than you and your going slower than them would create a jam there shouldn't be a prob.

ATB

Simon

owelly

posted on 27/1/13 at 02:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Undertaking by definition is an offence but you can pass on the left providing you don't change lanes to cary-out the manouver. It's called 'filtering' and can be done at any speed as long as you're not exceeding the limit or driving dangerously or inconsiderately.

Apologies. I must have quoted the above post using invisable text.....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

snakebelly

posted on 27/1/13 at 05:23 AM Reply With Quote
A Magenta owner insinuating someone should get his eyes checked!!!

clanger

posted on 27/1/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
i just make progress in whatever lane is clear and free ahead. undertake, overtake, filtering............whatever, driving the tin top in rush hour traffic drives me nuts, can't wait to get out of the thing
omega 24 v6

posted on 27/1/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have to say I'm amazed at some of the answers and quotes on here. I hope many of them are in jest. In other countries it may be legal to change lanes and overtake on the left, hell it might even be legal in this country ( but I doubt it). The fact is than many people DO NOT check to the left lane before pulling over ( yes I agree they should) they expect nothing to be there as they are in a lane ( whether its lane 2 or 3) which are for overtaking only ( so why would any one be passing you on the left). I remeber a series of adverts on road safety which clearly laid out the rules on a motorway during the late 60's and 70's. Also the highway code makes it pretty clear along with the fact that they list various laws to cover certain sections of the code.

section 268
I quote

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Also relevant

Lane discipline (264 to 266)

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9 & 16(1)(a), MT(S)R regs 4, 8 & 14(1)(a), and RTA 1988, sects 35 & 186, as amended by TMA 2004 sect 6

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving
any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes but not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes which is constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver, which is required to be fitted with a speed limiter.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 12, MT(E&W)AR (2004), MT(S)R reg 11 & MT(S)AR (2004)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Slimy38

posted on 27/1/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver

I have to admit I thought coaches were allowed in the third lane, I've certainly seen enough of them doing it.

designer

posted on 27/1/13 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Nobody is told to 'Keep Left' anymore.

Idiots drive down the middle lane when there is no traffic!

rusty nuts

posted on 27/1/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Not so much middle lane hoggers but drivers that use the outside lane when they have passed exit signs for the junction they want and force their way across 2 lanes of traffic to get off the motorway, a perfect example is at the junction of the A14 and the M11. I have even seen cars stop in the middle lane so they car pull off to the N/S.
blakep82

posted on 27/1/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
On the ones that do it on an empty 3 lane motorway, I come up behind them quite quickly in the left lane, match their speed, pull out to lane 3 fairly close behind them, but not too close, overtake and go back to lane 1, again fairly close in front of them, 8m or so, just to show they're an inconvenience to me lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.