Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint cracking
Skirrow

posted on 27/1/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Paint cracking

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on with my paint and what the best thing to do with it is.

The paint on the bonnet seems to have have cracks in it, especially around the vents. Where it's cracked you can get your nail under it and lift off the entire layer of paint leaving clean metal underneath.

I was wondering if this is a bad paint job to start with, or if it's a common problem caused by heat or something?

I'm going to repaint the bonnet, and some large areas away from the vents seems OK, I've started sanding and the paint appears to be normal and doesn't chip off. I'd like to be able to just flat the paint, but it looks like I'm going to have to go down to the bare metal so that the level of the paint is even.

Anyone offer any advice? ie. should I spend hours getting it all to bare metal before repainting it?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 27/1/13 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Was the metal etch primed before painting?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 27/1/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's not adhered, also looks thick, is it house paint?

Better to get some strippers, pull it all off and start again.

theduck

posted on 27/1/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
That's not been etch primed. Nitromors it then clean thoroughly, then etch primer then paint.
austin man

posted on 27/1/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
too much paint over time causing shrinkage, I had the same problem on my Austin A35 despite applying a barrier coat the paint sshrunk. I had to stip back to the matal and redo it

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Skirrow

posted on 27/1/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas. Not sure if it was etch primed as I bought the car built, and yeah it's thick..

Ah well, off it comes then.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.