Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - Recommend me a NAS drive
mcerd1

posted on 28/1/13 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
OT - Recommend me a NAS drive

Looking for a cost effective NAS drive

I'll be using it as a backup/file share drive for up to 5 machines (Win7 & XP machines aswell as my new Raspberry PI/XBMC setup)
500Gb would be more than enough for now, but 2Tb+ would be nice

something solid and reliable, but nice and locost

any suggestions ?

cheers
-Robert

-

Trollyjack

posted on 28/1/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
I have used one of these linky now for 4 years I bought this unit and fitted two 500 gig hard drives and had no problems
though not the cheapest but not let me down
I have it conected to 5 laptops and stream video and music to my PS3 that is in the living room and also can stream to my panasonic wifi tv.
Very easy to set up too
Have a look on the CCL Link site they are very cheap for all IT equipment highly recomend them

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 28/1/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
My reccomendation:
Synology DS212j

http://www.ebuyer.com/288176-synology-ds212j-2-bay-nas-enclosure-ds212j

I have some really Geeky Mates (Two with First Degrees in computing from Cambridge), and others in the Techy industry, and all are Radio Hams, and very practical guys. Yes.. all very geeky, and certinaly they know their onions on this sort of stuff!!
4 of them have this drive.

NOT the cheapest, but does a hell of a lot. Runs NAS, and DLNA server to distribute your videos and music, will run a website, and one has it distributing TV around the house with a USB dongle.

When my Atom N330 (my NAS and DLNA server) machine gives up the Ghost, this is what I will replace it with.

Agreed, not the cheapest, but certainly very good.
It depends on what you want to do with it. But this one really does a lot for the money.

Also the Synology one only 17 Watts of power. Remember when this is running 24/365 it will rack up the electricity charges over the year.
The Netgear one is 35W

I know, as I ran two PC's and 4 Radios connected to them as a Pre-Internet Mail and data system back in the 1980's (Amateur Radio Packet Data System).
I ran them for 9 years, and it cost a lot of money in electricity alone.
Its why I currently run the Atom N330, that draws about 26W 24/365, which is better than the 320W I used to run!
(Measured with a Meter, and not from reading the spec printed on the devices etc)
Its worth looking at this and factoring it in when looking at the price.
Just my 2d's worth.

[Edited on 28/1/2013 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 28/1/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - me too. Two 1TB drives mirrored. 1GB of memory. Feeds my Raspberry Pi, iPad and laptops no issues. Streams music to my Squeezebox. Downloads episodes of series.

EDIT: I've got the v1 of this and just seen that the v2 doesn't support FTP - maybe a deal breaker.

You need to watch which drives you use in a NAS as some are not compatible with certain products

Cheers

JC

quote:
Originally posted by Trollyjack
Hi
I have used one of these linky now for 4 years I bought this unit and fitted two 500 gig hard drives and had no problems
I have it conected to 5 laptops and stream video and music to my PS3 that is in the living room and also can stream to my panasonic wifi tv.
Very easy to set up too
Have a look on the CCL Link site they are very cheap for all IT equipment highly recomend them

[Edited on 28/1/13 by SeaBass]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 28/1/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these you can have for £40 delivered.

It's brand new in the box... never used only taken out of the box to take the photos (there's no disks in it, just add an IDE drive).

MikeRJ

posted on 28/1/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW box.co.uk are currently selling the single bay SATA Zyxel NAS for £34.99 including delivery. I've had one for a while and it's been flawless so far.

[Edited on 28/1/13 by MikeRJ]

Davey D

posted on 28/1/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Weve got the next model up which is this one:

http://www.cclonline.com/product/69085/RND4000-200EUS/Network-Storage-Enclosures/Netgear-ReadyNAS-NV-V2-Diskless-NAS/BAK0749/

works perfectly, been very happy with it.

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
Yep - me too. Two 1TB drives mirrored. 1GB of memory. Feeds my Raspberry Pi, iPad and laptops no issues. Streams music to my Squeezebox. Downloads episodes of series.

EDIT: I've got the v1 of this and just seen that the v2 doesn't support FTP - maybe a deal breaker.

You need to watch which drives you use in a NAS as some are not compatible with certain products

Cheers

JC

quote:
Originally posted by Trollyjack
Hi
Very easy to set up too

[Edited on 28/1/13 by SeaBass]

Proby

posted on 28/1/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 2tb netgear duo NS2000 V2 (same as trolleyjacks) , mirrored so I have two copies of everything. I'm impressed with it, can programme it to come on/off different times of the day to save on the lecky. Running apple tv XBMC, my desktop pc for graphicmonster's files, two android phones, and ipad and an acer net top. I also have a cheap NAS housing with a 500gb seagate in which I have used for years without problems.

[Edited on 28/1/13 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

mcerd1

posted on 28/1/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Proby
I've got a 2tb netgear duo NS2000 V2 (same as trolleyjacks)

is that the same as this one ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ReadyNAS-Desktop-Network-Storage/dp/B00620CKD2/ref=sr_1_7?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1359390 219&sr=1-7

-

Proby

posted on 28/1/13 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, same as that one!

Visit GraphicMonster

jossey

posted on 28/1/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
a world of pain lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

loggyboy

posted on 28/1/13 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Very happy with my one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/291389-buffalo-linkstation-live-v2-1tb-1x-1tb-nas-drive-ls-x1-0tl-eu

Mistral Motorsport

AdrianH

posted on 28/1/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nice and locost may well be another RasPi running Samba and a USB drive. Just done that myself.

Probably too slow for what you would like though.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

mads

posted on 30/1/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Very happy with my one of these:
http://www.ebuyer.com/291389-buffalo-linkstation-live-v2-1tb-1x-1tb-nas-drive-ls-x1-0tl-eu

also got one of these and pretty happy with it.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

David Jenkins

posted on 30/1/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
You've inspired me to get my Raspberry Pi set up as a networked drive! It's being used for a backup as I type...

...I used these instructions if anyone's interested.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.