Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HS2???
coozer

posted on 29/1/13 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
HS2???

Why is HS2 only coming half way up the country?

Hardly surprising seeing as we don't even have a motorway connection to the rest of the world up here!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

steve m

posted on 29/1/13 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
perhaps its a way of fast tracking all the scum and scroungers out of the uk
Slimy38

posted on 29/1/13 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
perhaps its a way of fast tracking all the scum and scroungers out of the uk

Nah, it's the other way round, it's so we can be more accommodating and not just fill up London... Toton is going to become the new Ibiza...

Agriv8

posted on 29/1/13 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
If I had the map the correct way round it will clip the corner of Stoneleigh Show ground. But I dont think it will have a stop.

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

clairetoo

posted on 29/1/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
If I had the map the correct way round it will clip the corner of Stoneleigh Show ground. But I dont think it will have a stop.

ATB Agriv8

Having studied the map , it looks more like its going right across the show ground

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
...because there's nothing north of Leeds that concerns the pockets of the ruling/poilitical class?
Bliar left us with debt, greed, a war and various foreign occupation commitments. Cameron clearly wants all this as his legacy, plus a railway to the Midlands. Anyway, I'll leave this alone, those old enough on here to remember Pink Floyd's Fletcher's memorial Home lyrics will know where I'm coming from.

Interesting to see if the HS2 goes beyond Middle Earth into the Separatist Scottish Zone though....

stevebubs

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:

ATB Agriv8

Having studied the map , it looks more like its going right across the show ground

http://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co.uk/news/business/stoneleigh-plans-take-precedence-over-hs2-ones-1-3461241

chillis

posted on 29/1/13 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
HS2 - Why?

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/13 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chillis
HS2 - Why?

Indeed.

I can understand a high speed rail network going up the country, but once again it's a half measure.

What he should be doing is a Maglev system running up the M1 and M6, it'll still probably take 20 years to build but be a full 100mph faster than this piffly proposal. Also since it's going to be another 20 years in the future why stop at 200mph? Why stop at 300? This HS2 is supposed to go from London to Manchester in 40 minutes, by 2033 we should be doing that trip in 15...

MikeRJ

posted on 29/1/13 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Why is HS2 only coming half way up the country?

Hardly surprising seeing as we don't even have a motorway connection to the rest of the world up here!!

At least it's sort of pointing in your general direction Us west country yokels aren't going to benefit much.

TheGiantTribble

posted on 29/1/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
What no one seems to mention (or at least not the men in grey suits)
Super fast trains can only go super fast if the track, wheels, etc are kept up to good condition.

This of course costs money.

Track maintanance is the first thing that gets cut back on, second thing to then get cut back on is top speed.

Is that a white elephant I hear in the distance?

beaver34

posted on 29/1/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
where can i find the map of west yorkshire section?
Agriv8

posted on 29/1/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
a downloadable map can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68988/hs2-arp-000-dr-rt-55001_3-0.pdf

or as link

PS the white elephant is in the room just the suites cant / wont see it.

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Peteff

posted on 29/1/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's just so they can buy cheap houses and shopping and commute easier.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bi22le

posted on 29/1/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its good that I does not go to scotland, you will be voting yourselves out of the UK soon. This will cause a fight over who will pay what.

I have HS1 on my doorstep (London to east coast) and although being very nice, it is also very pricey.

I do agree that in 20 years trains will be going faster but they dont need to. Road traffic will be so bad that doing a journey at 70mph will feel a long and distant memory so 100mhp+ will feel fast.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 29/1/13 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
The time saving simply don't justify the huge expense - they're talking about reducing a 2.5 hour journey to 1.5 hours - big deal.

And how about the east - west links? Anyone in East Anglia who wants to travel due west is obliged to go via London, as the only alternative is a hotch-potch of small local services with many stops and changes, leading to very long and tedious journeys.

smart51

posted on 29/1/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
The trains with run through to Scotland. They will run on the high speed line to Manchester then along the west coast main line there after. I guess the WCML could be upgraded at a later date. probably after Scotland decides whether they want to be part of the UK or not.

beaver34

posted on 29/1/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a downloadable map can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68988/hs2-arp-000-dr-rt-55001_3-0.pdf

or as link

PS the white elephant is in the room just the suites cant / wont see it.

ATB agriv8

awesome about 800m from our house

bigbravedave

posted on 29/1/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine working every hour under the sun to extend ur house and pay off ur mortgage early only to find ur house is worthless and ur front door is 36 meters outside the compensation zone. Its a buyers market if ur a trainspotter who keeps deaf horses!
morcus

posted on 29/1/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Am I the only one who's excited about this?

The reason it only goes as far as it does is because they could never get the project through if you did the whole country in one go as the cost would be to expensive, I believe the eventual ideal goal would be a highspeed network linking up all of the country.

I've been on HS1 quite a few times and I found if you buy tickets in advance it's the same price to go to london on the fast train as the slow one that takes twice aslong and it's a better train and stops in London at a better station.

Our entire train network needs a serious overhaul and this is hopefully the start of that. the way things are going cheap flights will soon be a thing of the past due to taxs and enviromental rules, when this happens more people will apprieciate being able to catch a train from Birmingham to Brussels (Granted they'd change trains) is just a few hours.

The thing that gets me is the amount of BS there is from people opposing it because it'll aparantly be a blight on the Landscape and all that. I used to live almost right next to it and you barely notice it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

smart51

posted on 29/1/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Am I the only one who's excited about this?

No, I think it's a great idea. People always object to change. They said the same kind of things and worse when the Victorians built the first railways, yet we now think we'd be very backwards if we didn't have any. Some of the greatest Britons of all time were Brunel, Stevenson and Telford and it was because of their vision, forward thinking and their building socking great bridges and the like without letting the nay-sayers and NIMBYs stop them.

JoelP

posted on 29/1/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't mind it either, it might be a lot of money but hopefully it will remain in the economy if the contracts go to UK firms. However 20 years is a lot of time for the project to go out of date in.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SeanStone

posted on 29/1/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I also think it'd be great.

It would open the country up more, allow easier movement for workers etc

Can't do it all at once and this looks like a great start!

Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh no I like the idea, I just think they've gone in with a half measure

SteveWalker

posted on 29/1/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know whether it is the right thing or not. I do however get fed up of all the people saying that it's not worth it to save a small amount of time on the journey - that's not the point of it! The point is that the WCML has insufficient capacity. To enable expresses to maintain good speeds and not be delayed if a slower train is running just a few minutes late, the slower trains are limited to not stopping at many local stations, which prevents many people commuting by train. HS2 will free up capacity on the WCML, allowing more stopping trains to be provided there. Now there is certainly an argument whether HS2 is the best way to do that.

In a much more limited way, I have two stations (A and B) in easy walking distance and a third (C) which requires a short drive to get there. Many others from further away drive to the stations anyway. Station A has ample free parking, B has some, C is in the town centre and parking is very limited and costly. To allow the expresses free rein, only station C has all stopping trains stopping there. People parking at or walking to A or B and getting a train to work often find that when they finish, the next train back doesn't stop at A or B and they have have to wait for up to an hour (each day) for the next train or travel to C and get a bus from there. Result, most people drive into the city centre! Ideally the line would be doubled to four tracks, but some years ago, the land reserved for this since the line was built (in the 19th century) was sold to extend people's gardens and to allow new estates to be built right up to the existing line, removing this option.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.