Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: These pics should sort my rear geometry out... Cheers Danny @ MK Sportscars
yellowcab

posted on 30/1/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
These pics should sort my rear geometry out... Cheers Danny @ MK Sportscars

Massive thanks to Danny @ MK Sportscar for yet again fantastic customer service & delivery... here are my new goodies to sort my rear end geometry out...

Yep - seven photos of exactly the same thing, just because they're that nice.

Photos for illustration purposes only, I know I didn't set out the half nuts, and apologies its not in a more 'motorsport environment' than my office floor lol

coyoteboy

posted on 30/1/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nice photos!
austin man

posted on 30/1/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
you should have done a couple of trypict's as well

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

TimC

posted on 30/1/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a standard original Indy?

Want the truth?

Pick-up points are in the wrong place - those won't solve your positive camber in roll issue.

Sorry - they do look nice.

loggyboy

posted on 30/1/13 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Also, without adjustable sleaves they wont be very accurately adjustable.

Mistral Motorsport

CNHSS1

posted on 30/1/13 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of money? U2U if youbdont want to put here.

Cheers CNH

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

phelpsa

posted on 30/1/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Also, without adjustable sleaves they wont be very accurately adjustable.

If they are 1/2" UNF (which they would appear to be), the adjustment will be finer than almost any alignment tools can measure and certainly accurate enough for the purposes of this car.

I would seriously recommend taking it over to Matt at Procomp for the day once you've got them fitted. With all that adjustment it will be easy to get extremely muddled.

[Edited on 30-1-13 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 30/1/13 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa

If they are 1/2" UNF (which they would appear to be), the adjustment will be finer than almost any alignment tools can measure and certainly accurate enough for the purposes of this car.

Fair point, they are indeed very fine.

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 30/1/13 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
They do look very nice indeed but as TimC pointed won't change the geometry only the make static toe and camber settings adjustable.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Theshed

posted on 31/1/13 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
What is "non-motorsport" about the office floor? I have 2 cylinder heads on mine - never wise to have these things delivered at home it leads to difficult questions
yellowcab

posted on 31/1/13 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
If someone would care to explain how these won't cure my rear end geometry problems, I'd be greatful.

At the moment, my rear wheels are towing out, and are non adjustable.

Having these rose jointed will now enable me to run the rears parallel with a certain amount of negative camber if need be.

I don't want this thread turning into a 'MK cars' are shit, let's keep it constructive shall we.

What I don't get, that if the pickup points are in the wrong place as you so confidently say Tim, then I presume you have the knowledge to let me know where they should be?

Such negativity on this forum sometimes, what's the reason behind this?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
This could get 'interesting'

Nice workmanship BTW

[Edited on 31/1/13 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

yellowcab

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I just find it particulary disturbing that some folk are very quick to act the big 'I am', with quick whipped and frank 'want the truth?' rather than a constructive reply as to why the pick up points are apparently incorrect, and how to remedy the problem that he was super quick to identify.

I don't pretend to know much, infact I'm on here reading, learning and picking things up as I go along.

I'm not looking for an argument, or can of worms as forums love so much, just a simple explanation as to how it has been factually identified that the pickup points are wrong, or is it just hearsay?

britishtrident

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Static toe is a setting not geometry.

Geometry includes things such as roll centre height, camber gain and bump steer is dictated by the the position of the pivot points, and design lengths of wishbones.

Historically MK and Locost suspension wasn't really designed from first principles it just roughly followed what was seen to work and it does work reasonably well up to a point. What is missing is the details of selecting the geometry to suit the car, basically the rear roll centre is too low and there is not enough (negative) camber gain as the car rolls. You can actually see this in the picture of the car in your avatar, the rear wheel has a a lot of positive camber which prevents the tyre gripping effectively.

[Edited on 31/1/13 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 31/1/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

phelpsa

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
In some people's opinion the MK doesn't have enough camber correction in roll. This is dictated by the suspension mounting points on the chassis and the upright, so the adjustable wishbones won't correct it. This can be helped with a decent amount of static negative camber. Bare in mind that NO suspension system has 100% roll compensation and the MK is better than most strut suspension arrangements.

Your adjustable wishbones will be able to correct the bigger issue of rear toe out.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 31/1/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Static toe is a setting not geometry.

Geometry includes things such as roll centre height, camber gain and bump steer is dictated by the the position of the pivot points, and design lengths of wishbones.

Talk about nit picking. This forum is turning into Pistonheads again!

D Beddows

posted on 31/1/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Well no, actually this forum used to be a lot more like that before it turned into more of a 'what washing machine should I buy/can anyone recommend a plummer' type affair I don't mind that tbh BUT I do miss some of the more engineering orientated threads

I know you've been here long enough to know that phelpsa btw

[Edited on 31/1/13 by D Beddows]

MikeR

posted on 31/1/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
The limitations in the MK front and rear suspension on the standard car has been covered a number of times (as well as other cars limitations). I'm sure a good few years ago someone posted what changes they'd made. As I recall it was something like moving rear pick up points out 10mm and up 3mm (that is a pure guess don't replicate, please use the search and check). The front needed extra bracing as tubes have been removed to make fitting a variety of engines easier (again check).

The reality is for road use for most people its fine. For competitive track use some people find the limitations.

The reconmendation to go see Matt at Procomp is one I'll also repeat but talk to him first. Depending on your intended use he may refuse to see you as he won't give you a noticable improvement (ie he won't waste your money).

Personally I love a good technical discussion and do my best to follow and learn. A couple of the posts will seem negative to a new forum member but to the aged old timers this is a thread thats been written 50 or 100 times, hence its missing some detail.

Hellfire

posted on 31/1/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
In some people's opinion the MK doesn't have enough camber correction in roll. This is dictated by the suspension mounting points on the chassis and the upright, so the adjustable wishbones won't correct it. This can be helped with a decent amount of static negative camber. Bare in mind that NO suspension system has 100% roll compensation and the MK is better than most strut suspension arrangements.

Your adjustable wishbones will be able to correct the bigger issue of rear toe out.

Adam's covered most of what I was gonna say in his post above. If you remove the damper and put the rear wheel through it's full movement of bump and droop with a spirit level attached to the wheel vertically, you'll be able to see the effect that others have already mentioned in this thread. In reality, the damper restricts the travel and with a decent amount of static negative camber, it's effects in roll can be vastly improved.

Phil

mikeb

posted on 31/1/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
The new wishbones looks nice.
Lots of adjustment on those to get the correct static angles you want.

On our race caterham we had to shim the rear end to get the toe and camber adjustments. I'm hoping to do the same on my haynes roadster as although the caterham was de dion the haynes still has the same ford wheel hubs and the same shims should be useable between the wheel hub and upright to get the correct static toe in settings.
I wondered if the same option was available for the MK?

nick205

posted on 31/1/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I shimmed the rear of my Indy to correct the static toe measurements. As built, one side was too far out, the other too far in. I did it with shim washers between the MK upright and Sierra hub. It gave a noticeable improvement on my "test" round about and actually gave me quite a bit more confidence in the car overall.

What's not been mentioned is that the Indy would also benefit from more rear suspension travel for UK road use. However you set the ride height with the MK supplied Protech shocks you will bottom out or top out too often. This does not aid traction, cornering, ride and ultimately confidence.

yellowcab

posted on 31/1/13 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wonderful, since my reply asking for more in-depth replies - I've now learnt alot of stuff that I didn't know to begin with.

As my car is going to be 75% track / 25% road... I now want to locate the thread that MikeR speaks of, as I'm happy to grind off and re-weld the mounting points for the rear suspension if it is going to be better in the long run.

For those that follow my project thread in BEC - my car is very much 'off the road' at the moment anyway, so a bit of grinding, welding, and general jiggery poker certainly doesn't phase me.

When the search function on this forum is back up and running - I shall have a good mooch.

Thanks for all the intricate and technical replies, much more helpful than the blunt 'its never gonna work' answers for someone that is seeking knowledge off ones peers.

I get the static adjustments, and I'm aware that my new rear arm setup will help dramatically in my problem (which was rears toeing out), I wasn't aware of the lack of camber adjustment I hopefully can now look at.

I will continue to seek advice, and help through out this - and I'll keep my thread in BEC updated, but I didn't want to spill too many questions and drivel around the forum, so keeping it to one place for those that are interested is the general way I like to work.

Once again - I thank you all for the information you've given me - it's certainly opened my eyes (in a good way) of what I can do to improve yet again the handling of my car...

For those that want a giggle, and a light hearted watch - here is my spirited lap in trying to keep my car facing the right way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVlh1Hb6Nw

[Edited on 31/1/13 by yellowcab]

me!

posted on 31/1/13 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
You can search via google, just start with site:locostbuilders.co.uk and then enter your search term. It should help you find the post you're after.

Good (re)build thread by the way- keep it up!

[Edited on 31/1/13 by me!]

jossey

posted on 31/1/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Are you cutting down the threads on the rose joints?

I notice they won't screw in very far .... Wouldn't that be a weak point?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

TimC

posted on 31/1/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
I just find it particulary disturbing that some folk are very quick to act the big 'I am', with quick whipped and frank 'want the truth?' rather than a constructive reply as to why the pick up points are apparently incorrect, and how to remedy the problem that he was super quick to identify.

I don't pretend to know much, infact I'm on here reading, learning and picking things up as I go along.

I'm not looking for an argument, or can of worms as forums love so much, just a simple explanation as to how it has been factually identified that the pickup points are wrong, or is it just hearsay?

Oh for goodness sake. You've got me all wrong - as some of the folk who actually know me on here will hopefully testify.

Has my comment generated some responses that help you to get a better track car? It looks like that might be the case. Am I going to contribute further given your view of me? No chance.

Best of luck with it.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.