Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problem taxing car online
parkiboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Problem taxing car online

Hi, my car just passed its IVA 6 months ago, my renewal is due and I have gone to do this online but it won't process as it says 'no MOT certificate found' even though it does not require one for another 2 and a half years.

Anyone else had this problem?

madteg

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just do it at the post office.
Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
You have to go to the post office and fill out a tax exemption form. Can't remember what code it is but they'll know. Obviously take your v5c etc with you

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

parkiboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I tried doing it online to avoid that, our post office isn't great and can see it not being straight forward taxing it there with no cert, however I shall give it a try and if not ill have to ring the DVLA. Surely it should have been inputted into the DVLA database as built 2012

As far as I am aware it is the same database the police use so I will be getting pulled over for not having an MOT even though I don't need one?!

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
If its a Q then search my posts for what happened with me. Basically a Q is " made up of parts" and as such the dvla is looking for an MOT every year. Sorry but thats what my dvla inspector/contact informed me after 1 1/2 years. I had previously taxed online no problems.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

parkiboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
If that's the case surely they wouldn't have been able to tax it at the DVLA office initially without a certificate?
chris_harris_

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have had the same issue every year, this year will be the first i will MOT mine and therefore the records will show it has one but up to now it just says no recoirds found.

when you go to the Post Office ask for a V112 and select M Shortcut to online form this should be all you need to do.

In my expericne calling the DVLA or VOSA is pointless, as they both piint you back to the other one.

Hope that helps a bit.

Chris

Regards Chris

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Initial taxed OK and 1st year online no problem THEN year 2 NO WAY BUT if you do it and then have a disaster case scenario with fatalities ( god forbid ) you really do want to be sure you are legal. No MOT equals NO insurance. and ignorance of the law is NO EXCUSE. Yes you could fight it and yes you MIGHT win but at what cost? £50 ish all in would be much cheaper. I know it sucks and many on here will argue the case. The fact is it up to you.

parkiboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by VoSa at my IVA I did not need an MoT. Then on applying for the first tax disc with dvla it stated on things to bring 'mot cert (if req)' .. The application went through ok so obviously was not required. I understand what your saying but if that's the case I've already been illegally driving the car for 6 months due to errors by the DVLA and VOSA?

I mean its been through IVA 6 months ago to prove its road legal.

And it does not just cost 50 quid to get my car through an MoT BECs can be a nightmare, I'll need to hire a cat, have a remap etc.

[Edited on 3/2/13 by parkiboy]

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Not trying to start an argument and believe me I think the whole ( DVLA says this and VOSA says that ) argument stinks. I'm only passing on what I have decided on for my own part. Good luck with your quandry and if you can get it in writing and signed you will be doing better than I could. And believe me I tried very very hard.

loggyboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
No MOT equals NO insurance. and ignorance of the law is NO EXCUSE

I thought this was an urban myth.?

Mistral Motorsport

parkiboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well my car needs taxing so I will do it without the MOt however I will not be driving it for a while so in the mean time I will be contacting the DVLA and getting an answer and if it needs an MOT ill get it done before I drive it. I have been doing slot of research and I find more saying you don't need one than those saying you do but nothing clear cut, got to say at times I regret getting a kit simply because of the bullshit of the DVLA and VOSA.

Do the emissions of the q plate still apply? Or are they as strict as at the IVA?

[Edited on 3/2/13 by parkiboy]

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
My V5 has emissions on it and the test "should be" based on this. I have found though that last time they just did a visible smoke test?? I know go figure.

Davegtst

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was told when I registered mine last year that I would need an mot next time I taxed it. looks like the 3 year exemption for q plates doesn't exist anymore.
loggyboy

posted on 3/2/13 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My V5 has emissions on it and the test "should be" based on this. I have found though that last time they just did a visible smoke test?? I know go figure.

Q plate is visable smoke only for mot.

Mistral Motorsport

omega 24 v6

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry loggy boy not anymore its not. My V5 clearly states emmisions at co at 3.5% and 1200ppm ( not a quote but can find out if you are interested enough )

[Edited on 3/2/13 by omega 24 v6]

Its all here
http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/730_newnoncat.pdf

rb968

posted on 3/2/13 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
So in practical terms does the new MOT process mean the tester enters your Q registration into their system and it tells him the emissions requirements? I certainly don't take my V5 to the testing station. Anyone experienced this?

My Indy is sorn'd while I do my engine change. But due it's first tax now over 12 months since IVA.

Rich

computid

posted on 4/2/13 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
No MOT equals NO insurance

I'm sorry, but this is somewhat of a misconception.

Under EU Law if an insurer has agreed to cover a vehicle they are legally required to payout 3rd party claims regardless of who was driving or the state of the vehicle. This is why when your car is stolen by a 14 year old joy rider the insurance company still has to pay out when he rear ends another car.

If your car isn't MOT'ed or Taxed you are still covered 3rd party. The police will try to say you aren't but you are, regardless of the stipulations in the contract with your insurance company.

You could have no licence, no MOT, no Tax, no Brakes and bald tyres all around but if you've purchased an insurance policy for that vehicle and you have the insurance certificate you are covered for all 3rd party liabilities.

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm interesting. It would be good if one of the sponsors (insurance ) of the site could input some info here. as for the emissions I believe it shows up on the testers system but stand to be corrected.

parkiboy

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Would like to just say, got my v5 in front of me now and it says nothing about Emissions on mine, it's all blank
mcerd1

posted on 4/2/13 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
^^ does it say "new at first registration" ?

-

loggyboy

posted on 4/2/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Sorry loggy boy not anymore its not. My V5 clearly states emmisions at co at 3.5% and 1200ppm ( not a quote but can find out if you are interested enough )

Its all here
http://www.motuk.co.uk/images/730_newnoncat.pdf

Theres more though -
The introduction states (and overides the above):

b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to
be treated as being first used on 1 January 1971

To use the same site as you quite from:
http://motuk.co.uk/manual/how_to_use_page_one.htm

but the proper manual goes even further:

b. Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Mistral Motorsport

chillis

posted on 4/2/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble with this is that VOSA/DVLA dont follow their own rules. This means some people don't have to MOT a Q for the first 3 years and others do
If they applied their rule properly then all 'kit conversions' and all rebuilts ie cars 'built from parts some or all of which may not be new' should have an MOT every year right from zero while 'kit cars' - those that are assembled from all new parts should only need an mot after the first three years. Unfortunately in these government departments the left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

omega 24 v6

posted on 4/2/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Chillis you have it exactly. And not until a proven court case exists will any of us know exactly where we stand.
My V5 is explicit in the emissions and the same DVLA Kit advisor in Aberdeen was also just as exacting in his definition of kitcars and MOT's for that reason I chose to keep myself right by having one done.
The rest of you make your own minds up. And best of luck.

parkiboy

posted on 4/2/13 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
I taxed the car this morning using the v112 form, this doesnt mean I won't be MOT'in my car, I have emailed the DVLA quereying the matter and I am also going to send one to Vosa later so hopefully in a few days I shall have my answer.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.