Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just the two ipads for the kids then....
Ninehigh

posted on 5/2/13 at 02:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by afj
Oh dear. Mmmmmm heres my 7 year olds list. 50cc petrol gokart, iPad , iPod touch, Nintendo 3ds xl ,Sony digital camera, Sony camcorder, laptop computer, tv DVD combo and a nice little iPod dock forgot the wii and the ps3

[Edited on 4/2/13 by afj]

My 9 yr old nephew writes his Xmas list of in the form of Argos,catalogue numbers!

Oh Christ!

I was scared when my son (4) figured out how to get Sonic and videos on my phone (only showed him once!)

He also managed to start some disability assistance thing on my laptop when he was 6 months too, although I think that was more fluke. Took me longer to get it to STOP telling me everything my mouse was pointing at

owelly

posted on 5/2/13 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
My 7 year old son got a cheap second hand laptop for Christmas as he is coming home from school with homework that needs the internet. He plays games on the CBBC website and has a few educational games. He has the use of a Wii but never uses it. He'd rather play the bus parking game on my phone! My 3 year old daughter can play some simple games on the lappy and some drawing games on my phone. These devices are not left lying around for them to play on whenever they choose and they are closely supervised. The TV is usually tune to kiddies programmes but once on, they rarely watch it, unless you try to watch something else!! They'd rather slide the patio doors open and charge around in the garden.
They will spend a lot of time as grown-ups so we'd like them to be kids as long as possible. Too many parents buy these expensive items, which the kids use as toys, just so the kids will sit down and shut up. My son still spends the majority of his inside playtime building stuff with his Lego Technic.....and my daughter likes to leave dolls and prams anywhere that causes a trip hazard...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 5/2/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
My boys ( aged 9 & 11 ) had Galaxy Tabs for Christmas (yes, one each). Initially, they hardly put them down , but a couple of months on and their usage has settled down a bit. I can see how people have a problem with them, but sometimes the problems are just down to a lack of parental control and not the devices themselves. I am sure parents were having the same arguments about TVs, Atari 2600s, ZX Spectrums, Walkmans ( walkmen ?), Nintendo DS, etc, etc. when they first appeared. If you are the sort of parent that let their children watch hours of telly just to get a bit of peace, then it is not the telly’s fault if your children have problems. Same goes for tablets. It’s always easy to blame someone else for our own failings.

As for cost, the boys and I discussed it beforehand, and they do understand the value. The “how much do we spend on food per month?” type questions gave them a sense of perspective. In the end we did spend more than we would normally (and I’m usually pretty tight-ar$ed), but it was less than a new bike, or decent trainset or scalextrix set (and Xbox, Wii U or laptop) and the price of software is less than a DS, Wii or Xbox game. (don’t get me started on the price of skylanders!!!)

I think it is all about life style balance. I can only speak for my kids; they are active ( they play rugby, have tennis lessons, race cross-country and cycling events and finish at the top end of the results, and are always on the garden trampoline). They are in the upper end of their class academically, and are pretty polite and well balanced ( if you ignore the onset of teenage-ness in the older one !?!). They are certainly not perfect, but I’m doing my best.

They probably watch less TV now, and cherry-pick their viewing through iPlayer on the tablet.
They get internet based homework that they can do on the tablet. (e.g. maths games for the younger one and general research for the older one)
They read books on their tablets.
They skype their friends and have gained a wider circle of friends that they interact with this way. ( not all our friends are local )
On long car journeys they have listened to music on them and generally occupied their time with them.

As an illustration, the 9y.o. just got some Lego as a belated present from my brother. He built the model and then got his Tablet, downloaded a free app and made a stop-frame animation of a story using the Lego. It was pretty good, and when he finished he could then email the resulting video back to his uncle as part of a thank-you message. I’m pretty geeky so I think that is pretty cool !

- they are just tools to be used, and it is the parents job to guide their use.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Everything has moved on, so they (we) need to move with it, unfortunately.

yes but are they even getting the IT skills they might need from a tablet ??
the things (especially ipads) are designed to be as simplistic as possible so they'll never learn how they actually work under the skin

It was lego followed by mechano for me and bikes for my brother (back in the 80's) - I design structures for a living and he fixes tractors (and rides his bikes in his spare time)

as for IT a lot us had bbc's and ZX spectrums to play with at some point even if it was just at school
its this basic level of IT skill without the fancy idiot proof pre-programed OS and touchscreen that kids are missing now
(the point of the raspberry pi is to try and correct this massive skill gap)

its just like modern cars - how many people in this country drive cars and how many really understand how they function and how to fix them ?
(obviously quite a lot of folk on here, but the rest of the population)

the most worring thing I've been hearing recently is that some of the kids can hardly write by hand

-

whitestu

posted on 5/2/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Everything has moved on, so they (we) need to move with it, unfortunately.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes but are they even getting the IT skills they might need from a tablet ??
the things (especially ipads) are designed to be as simplistic as possible so they'll never learn how they actually work under the skin

It was lego followed by mechano for me and bikes for my brother (back in the 80's) - I design structures for a living and he fixes tractors (and rides his bikes in his spare time)

as for IT a lot us had bbc's and ZX spectrums to play with at some point even if it was just at school
its this basic level of IT skill without the fancy idiot proof pre-programed OS and touchscreen that kids are missing now
(the point of the raspberry pi is to try and correct this massive skill gap)

its just like modern cars - how many people in this country drive cars and how many really understand how they function and how to fix them ?
(obviously quite a lot of folk on here, but the rest of the population)

the most worring thing I've been hearing recently is that some of the kids can hardly write by hand

I don't think the two are linked. My lad loves his Apple stuff but also has got a Raspberry pi up and running and is now working out how to get Android on it.

Stu

James

posted on 5/2/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I won't have Apple products in the house so if I had kids they'll have a hard time of it!

Being bullied for not having the fashionable clothes, shoes, kit is good for the soul anyway!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

StevieB

posted on 5/2/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
We have an iPad in the house that my wife uses for work.

When we were chatting to the salesman in the shop, he turned and noticed my 5 year old son was playing with a game that he didn't even know was on there. Partly because kids are so switched on to technology now, and partly because iPads are so intuitive to use.

We don't let him use it for long periods, and I'd think twice about spending that kind of money on getting him his own. However, the time will come when he will ask because while kids have an exceptional grasp for technology, they have no clue about the value of money yet (I'm teaching him about that though).

mcerd1

posted on 6/2/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I don't think the two are linked. My lad loves his Apple stuff but also has got a Raspberry pi up and running and is now working out how to get Android on it.

they are more closley related than you think...
the ipads use ARM based cpu's and iOS shares some of its ancestory with unix

I guess its like 1 kid learning to drive a car vs another learning how it works and how to drive it - which one is more likley to grow up and design new cars....

i've already seen touchscreens grafted onto Pi's with a battery - basically a DIY tablet

-

steve m

posted on 6/2/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
"I won't have Apple products in the house so if I had kids they'll have a hard time of it! "

James, you grumpy old git!! i can see why you get into so many fights now

But i have to say, a year ago, i was of the "i dont want any "i" products, as im sick of hearing bla bla bla about them,
But, when my old Nokia failed, and i could not get anything that suited my needs, and poor eyesight, so needed a bigger screen, i got an iphone, and after using that, from everything from a phone to a digital speedo for my 7, i can see the benifits

Also, years ago i bought a laptop, for when we go away caravan etc, but the whole setip was a real pita, and cumbersome
so an Ipad it was, and that is the perfect choice

I only went down the i route, instead of generic, as both kids have, and my daughter in law, and most of the lot i work with so help was there if needed, but quite a few have gne over to generics now

To be honest, i never really needed there help

Steve

A year ago, i didnt even know what generic, or 3g was !!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcerd1

posted on 6/2/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
for the record the main thing I have against apple is the price

and the only other thing is a certain minority of the owners
(you know the ones that have to be seen to have one and go on about them all the time, much like the ones the OP is talking about - that is when they arn't talking about the new audi A1 / RS3 / A5 they just got )

were actually going to get my dad an ipad as we recon its the only one simple enough for him to use
quote:
Originally posted by steve mwhen my old Nokia failed, and i could not get anything that suited my needs
when my old nokia failed (broken charger plug) I got another broken one off ebay and made one good one out of the two
it sometimes feels like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't think a fancy touchscreen smartphone is suitable for my needs... (call, text, calander, camera, mp3 player, at least splash resistant and a long battery life! )

you can still get very cheap 'call and text only' type phones, but they don't do it for me either
i got that waterproof samsung thing as my last upgrade, but its just too basic and the OS just isn't as slick as my old nokia

so far nothing beats my old N86
(half decent camera, mp3 with dedicated buttons, FM transmitter, 10+ day standby, been soaked through twice, dropped hard and abused for years and still going strong)

[Edited on 6/2/2013 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 6/2/2013 by mcerd1]

-

Slater

posted on 6/2/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Here in SA my 12 yr old must have a tablet for school, many schools are going text book free. All the parents had to buy them! That's about 400 new iPads !

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.