Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modified Old School Mini
Strontium Dog

posted on 4/2/13 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Modified Old School Mini

Hi,

due to my intended move to Portugal I am very sadly going to sell my 1978 round nose Mini. (Not a happy bunny about this)

The car is scruffy and a great start to a superb Old School Mini project. I bought it a few years ago to compete in Autotests. I ran it a few times with a ropey old MG Metro engine in it but decided the car was too good to trash and started to do it up after the diff detonated. I have done quite a lot to it and I'll list what I can remember below. All this is less than 1000 miles ago.

All new suspension, Minispares or Minisport parts used throughout:
Heavy duty tie rods
Fully adjustable bottom arms with offset bushes to correct pin angle
New bearings/bushes/pins throughout inc. top arms
Hi-Lo's
new donuts all round
Camber and toe adjustable rear radius arm mounts
New radius arm bushes/pins
Gaz adjustable shocks for 30mm lowered suspension (30mm min)
MG Metro front brakes with Goodrich hoses (discs with 4pot calipers)
1275 GT rear drums with new shoes, adjusters etc
It is on Metro front uprights but I will supply freshly bead blasted and powder coated genuine Mini uprights with new wheel bearings as well as top and bottom swivels all still in their boxes

Minilights (Genuine) with new tyres Toyo's 165x12's (These where £240 and grip like a housefly!)
Good 1275 Metro engineand box fitted on standard bores (very good bores with virtually no wear at all)
Unleaded 12G940 head
Metal head gasket
MG Metro cam
Minispares 1.5:1 forged high lift rockers
Vernier cam pulley with cam belt conversion
Minispares inlet manifold
HIF6 carb
LCB and big bore exhaust (possible Playmini? rear box but can't remember. Sounds lovely, deep and burbly)
Minispares uprated radiator
Kenlow electric cooling fan with adjustable stat

Corbeau front seats

The car is MOT'd for about 11 months although I had to stick a different carb on it to get it through the emissions which it runs very badly on. I will refit the HIF6 which it runs well on but is too rich at idle to pass the test. It obviously need setting up properly with the appropriate needle. There is rust evident in the floor pans and sills and it has had some welding done previously ( but not very much, it was Zebarted from new and still has original floors and sills!)

Loads of interesting history, the car belonged to someone in the British consulate in Paris. He exported it to France and then imported it back to ther UK back when it was a 1000cc automatic. I have a large bundle of paperwork to support all of this.

There is bound to be stuff I've forgotten about too

Oh and it's Black!

I'm looking for a reasonable offer approaching £2K (I might px for a clean Yamaha XT 600e )

Feel free to message me for my no. Call me and I'll tell you all I can.

Cheers Si

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

ianclark1275

posted on 5/2/13 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
i cant keep up with the second hand values for mins, they have gone crazy in last few years

its worth it from the description.

why dont you take it?

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

Strontium Dog

posted on 5/2/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianclark1275
i cant keep up with the second hand values for mins, they have gone crazy in last few years

its worth it from the description.

why dont you take it?

IC

It's just too difficult and expensive to take my cars with me. Not impossible for the Mini but expensive and I'm not sure they would be OK with all the modifications either. It was the one thing that was against immigrating for me. I think I'll have to mess around with classics when I get there, quite a few about in good condition because of the weather and lack of salt!

I can't take my Celica ST205 GT4 because it is a Jap import to the UK I'll try to find one in Portugal I think when I'm there later this year!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

capri_big_jim

posted on 5/2/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have any photos mate.
Strontium Dog

posted on 5/2/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by capri_big_jim
Do you have any photos mate.

Lots but on my workshop computer, I'll get some later today and take a couple more so you can see what it is like!

Cheers Si.

Strontium Dog

posted on 6/2/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
OK I have a load of pics of this but for some reason I cant upload any of them to photobucket! Never had a problem before so I just don't know what is going on and after two frustrating hours I'm fed up now

I have to go to work now too so I'll try and get some up later or tomorrow.

[Edited on 6/2/13 by Strontium Dog]

james jones

posted on 14/2/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
mini

hi, can you send some pictures of the car to bjrobbo@talktalk.net thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.