Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - mortgage daily interest rates? - help!
mcerd1

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
OT - mortgage daily interest rates? - help!

ok way off topic, but I've been looking at this for hours now and my head hurts

trying to work out the best time to pay off a mortgage (within the next 6 months or so) and what the total cost will be to the nearest few £ (there are early repayment fees and other costs involved)

trouble is its calculated using a daily interest rate - which they don't tell you anywhere as far as I know

all I know is that its a Halifax mortgage with fixed rate of 2.94% APR
I assume its compunding daily but they don't tell you
(its like pulling teeth tring to get good info....)

i found a few rate converters online (mostly american) but then i found out that american APR is different from ours

can someone please tell me how to get an accurate daily rate for my calcs

cheers
-Robert

-

Slimy38

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on my annual statement if I remember rightly? It's a tiny number, something like 0.004 %.
mcerd1

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
its not on the statment that we've got

-

roadrunner

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
If your trying to save money. Pay your mortgage off as soon as you can.
Less interest is payed that way.

blakep82

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its basically (but not entirely accurately) your monthly interest divided by the number of days in the month. If I remember right from my 4 year sentence at rbs, interest is calculated on a daily basis by computers, added monthly, so if you say £200 of interest was added last month, then its safe to assume the daily rate is 200/30
So about 6.66 a day. Youre only going to be pennies out
Best time to pay it off is as soon as you can. After that youll only be paying more interest, unless theres something in your question im really not getting?

2.94%/365 days is 0.008, but remember the balance on the account is constantly changing too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sent u2u
Slimy38

posted on 5/2/13 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
The other option is what my friend is doing. He has tried to pay his mortgage off early, but he has an early redemption penalty of a couple of k. He's basically frozen his mortgage at something like £50 outstanding, so he's paying a few pennies a year interest but he's avoiding the early penalty fee. Seems absolute nonsense, but five years of pennies against thousands is definitely worth it.
mcerd1

posted on 5/2/13 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38He's basically frozen his mortgage at something like £50 outstanding,

we can't go down that route - the flat will be getting sold off (and no new mortgage required)

the eary repayment fee is quite alot, so we are trying to figure out if there is any saving in waiting (I doubt there is) - and if not what the total cost will be (inc interest) for any given day - that way we can work out the min sale price we need - we could be cutting it quite fine so I'd like it as accurate as possible

I've used the APR/365 method at the moment,and I know thats just a little higher than the real interest but its anyoing me that I can't get it right (its so simple to calculate the other way round...)

[Edited on 5/2/2013 by mcerd1]

-

mds167

posted on 5/2/13 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Why not request a variety of redemption quotes with different end dates from the lender?
Let them do the hard work.
They shouldn't charge for them.

"No, you can't lick the system; but you can give it a damn good fondling."

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/2/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Halifax (and probably the others) are a bit cheeky on their rates.

They calculate compound interest daily (fair enough) but that The rate per day = your annual rate / 365
(not sure about leap years but lets not worry here)

As you will quickly notice the amount you pay over a year is higher than the annual rate (owing to the compounding effect), it does appear to be legal, although it does strike me as corrupt. It adds up to about £50 a year per £100k on your rate, which isn't much but is still theft.

A couple of ways of calculating the compound interest but the easiest is probably with Excel and do it for everyday. That should be good to the nearest penny. If you only need to be good to the nearest pound then you can reduce the frequency of the calculations (perhaps to your payment dates).

Regarding paying off the mortgage, you might consider leaving it owing them £200 or so, that way you might avoid an early redemption payment. Nothing like a £3.47 mortgage payment. If you pay off the mortgage completely with more than 10years to run then they may charge you something.

Matt

mads

posted on 5/2/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Its basically (but not entirely accurately) your monthly interest divided by the number of days in the month. If I remember right from my 4 year sentence at rbs, interest is calculated on a daily basis by computers, added monthly, so if you say £200 of interest was added last month, then its safe to assume the daily rate is 200/30
So about 6.66 a day. Youre only going to be pennies out

exactly right. I created a mortgage calculator in excel to look at how much my mortgage would come down with overpayments and this is how I worked out what my interest repayments would be each month. With the calculator I found I am out by less than 5p each month compared to the annual statement I get from my bank.

If you want a copy of the calculator, drop me a U2U with your email address.

[Edited on 6/2/13 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

nick205

posted on 5/2/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I built an Excel file to work this out to the day for the purposes of calculating over payment gains.

You enter the outstanding balance / date / APR and then add in your monthly payments and any over payments.

Checked against the banks calculations it's within £1 by the end of the term (10 yrs).

U2U me your email address and I'll happily send it over to you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.