Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring
Rogthebandit

posted on 5/2/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring

Hi

Just finishing off the wiring on the car and was just wondering what the iva look for? I have had a kwik look through the regs but nothing jumped out. Do wire colours come in to it as i though i read this somewhere on here

Cheers
Rog

theduck

posted on 5/2/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Only bits I can see in the manual are that they should be secured every 300mm and adequately insulated.
Rogthebandit

posted on 5/2/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that, ya i thought there would have been a bit more regarding fuses ect? Mine is well fused and insulated. Cant realy say i have followed colour codes but you cant see most of it anyway with the sleeving in place.
snapper

posted on 6/2/13 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
There are no set rules for colour coding
Manufacturers use different conventions

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Slimy38

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Do they check security of fuses etc to ensure they can't be grounded or potentially short circuited anywhere?

As for colours, one kit car magazine did joke that you could make an entire loom out of a single colour. I'd hate to try and trace issues, but at least it would get through IVA!

loggyboy

posted on 6/2/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Do they check security of fuses etc to ensure they can't be grounded or potentially short circuited anywhere?

As for colours, one kit car magazine did joke that you could make an entire loom out of a single colour. I'd hate to try and trace issues, but at least it would get through IVA!

Yeah, the IVA is not there to check the car will be easy to fix/work on in the future, only that its safe for the road!

As for grounding etc,

General construction sections reads:

All aspects of the design and construction of the vehicle must be such that no Immediate danger is caused or likely to be caused to any person in the vehicle or to other road users (see note 1).
When driven, the safe control of the vehicle must not be impaired or likely to be impaired, due to a design or construction feature of characteristic.
The vehicle structure and all components including their attachment must be suitable and of adequate strength. (see note 2)
A transmission/braking component which rotates during vehicle operation, electrical component, steering or suspension component, wheel or tyre must not foul on another component, or be likely to foul under normal operating conditions.
Fuel and electrical components must not be subject to either a corrosive environment or be exposed to heat sources likely to cause premature failure.
All steering, suspension, brake and fuel system components must not be leaking. (See note 3)
All electrical cables/wires must be free from chaffing and secured at intervals of at least every 300mm unless contained in a secure hollow component.
All electrical components must be secure be of adequate capacity and insulated as required as to prevent short circuiting during operation.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.