Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Helmet?
p2ccolo

posted on 7/2/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Which Helmet?

Hey guys,

Am looking for some advise on what helmet to buy for use on road and track days. I know I probably don't need snell approved etc, but was thinking I would probably look to buy one that is, so that if I did decide to do other stuff in the future it would be suitable. I would be looking to budget between £200-400.

The main two questions I have are:

Should I get one with hans posts? Would a hans device be worth buying for track days, or is it a bit overkill for track days? I would rather spend a bit extra if it means being safer.

Secondly, how do you guys find the regular shaped helmets at high speeds? I have heard that they can lift at high speed? Is it advisable to only get one that has the slightly extended "duck bill" at the bottom for the better aerodynamics? or is this not really necessary?

Heres some of the ones I have seen that I liked in the sort of price range I was looking:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets/omp--new-for-2013-grand-prix-7s-helmet
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets/bell-kf3-sport-sv-helmet
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets/rrs-new-hans-full-face-helmet-snell-2010

I know the fit is important so I am thinking about paying a visit to demon tweeks superstore in wrexham as I have to go north to wigan for the weekend later this month anyway so could tie in the trip with that, unless anyone knows of anywhere in the south with a good selection of lower budget helmets?

[Edited on 7/2/13 by p2ccolo]

RK

posted on 7/2/13 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have one similar to door #2. It is carbon/kevlar so very light. BUT it isn't very good for the road due to reduced eyeport size, making wearing glasses next to impossible. i wear contacts for autoslalom or snowcross. For driving on the road, i have an AGV lid.

I don't think track days require the snell SA certification.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/2/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Try motorsport events they have good helmets
SeanStone

posted on 7/2/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the last one, good helmet for the price
Davey D

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got number 2, the Bell kf3 in matt black. I find it very comfy :-)
p2ccolo

posted on 8/2/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hey davey,

How do you find the bell at speeds, does the little bit at the bottom really seem to make any difference? Just trying to justify if it is worth the extra cost over the other two if they are all safe enough. I don't want a helmet that lifts a bit at speed.

JimSpencer

posted on 8/2/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

It's all about the fit - you won't really be able to tell until you've tried a few - and DT is good for that as there's a good selection, certainly don't buy cheaper ones if they're uncomfortable, conversly don't buy expensive because they're perceived to be 'better' if the RRS fits your noggin..

MK9R

posted on 8/2/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

It's all about the fit - you won't really be able to tell until you've tried a few - and DT is good for that as there's a good selection, certainly don't buy cheaper ones if they're uncomfortable, conversly don't buy expensive because they're perceived to be 'better' if the RRS fits your noggin..

+1

Just replaced my battered bell rs3 pro, with bell kf3. I really wanted to buy a cheaper helmet, but tried the omp gp7, rrs and headtec (motor sport events) and they were just far too uncomfortable. I suppose I should count myself lucky I have a bell shaped head rather than arai, as that saves me about £200 every time! Buy on comfort every time.

If you are only using for track days and road, also consider bike helmets as there is more choice and can be a lot lot cheaper

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 8/2/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by p2ccolo
Hey davey,

How do you find the bell at speeds, does the little bit at the bottom really seem to make any difference? Just trying to justify if it is worth the extra cost over the other two if they are all safe enough. I don't want a helmet that lifts a bit at speed.

I dont get any lift with it, but then i didnt get any lift when i wore a regular bike helmet. The aeroscreen on my VortX seems to work well at deflecting the air over the top of your head

olimarler

posted on 8/2/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if relevant but well worth a visit!

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Oli

beaver34

posted on 8/2/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I use a v2 sport

Cheap and has the chin spoiler to help stop lift at speed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.