Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle Cable Fixing Ideas
ChrisJ15

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle Cable Fixing Ideas

I need to sort my throttle cable in a rear engined car.
The Throttle body end is straight forward.
The throttle pedal is connected to a flat piece of steel at right angles.
My concern is of either overstressing the TB or no quite reaching 100% fully open.
Im guessing there must be some clever approaches (using a spring perhaps) that will allow 100% just before the end of the pedal travel without putting strain on the TB.
Any ideas?

Also I bought a 2M cable off eBay and its a lot thinner than I would have expected. Is there a sensible minimum size? I would use this for a brake on a push bike!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Push bike brake cable has been fine on my car for the last 5years or so . Can you fit a pedal stop under the throttle pedal to limit the travel? Just needs to be a set screw that can be adjusted.
britishtrident

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
You should have it set up so you never get 100% throttle opening, the difference in output be the throttle opening 88 degrees and 90 degrees is zero.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have used bike brake cable, you will not put anywhere rear as much stress on the cable opening the throttle, as you would applying brakes on a bike.
I used an adjustable stop, on the bulkhead, that the pedal hit, and adjusted the cable so that the throttle was wide open when the pedal is on the stop.
As BT said, fully open throttle, then screw back one full turn.

[Edited on 10-2-13 by 40inches]

indykid

posted on 10/2/13 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
FWIW, I'm using push bike gear cable for my throttle, even thinner than brake cable.

As along as you have a hard stop at the pedal, it will only ever see a fraction of the load it does on a bike.

iank

posted on 10/2/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
At 2m it was probably originally a tandem brake cable. As said likely you want a throttle stop at the pedal end.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

phelpsa

posted on 10/2/13 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hold pedal against stop, then tension the cable until it just goes tight, back off a tiny bit. Perfect!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monkeyarms

posted on 10/2/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi heres how i did mine -

I had a little bobin made to attach to the pedal, and it worked realy well. The pedal touches the bulkhead on near full throttle so not to strain things as you say.
I used a "universal throttle cable 3m" and it is just right lenght, so maybe 2m is too short?

FazerBob

posted on 10/2/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
We always used to set new Lotus's so that with the throttle pedal fully pressed we had 1mm of movement left at the carbs/throttle body.
I still use the same setting. If it's good enough for Lotus, it'l do for me.

Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.