Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT : Fed Up With Sky TV - What Are My Options?
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 11/2/13 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
OT : Fed Up With Sky TV - What Are My Options?

So, I'm just about fed up with Sky TV !

I've been paying way too much for TV and I never really watch it (there's 900 channels of RUBBISH). We've recently cancelled just about everything because we don't need / use it and it's still working out at £600 per year (it's peaked at £1140 / year in the past which is just plain silly!)

All SWMBO wants is to be able to record a program on "series link" as she never watches it when it's actually on - likes to skip the ads. She'll only watch all the terrestrial channels - never watches movies or animal or history etc etc. We might watch occasionally watch a program on sky 1, but I can live without it, it's not the end of the world.

What are my options? I need to be able to replace the sky box in the lounge with something else that has a hard disk in it - ideally HD, then i'll pipe it round the rest of the house via cat 5 with an 8 x 8 HDMI switch matrix from China for about £500. I'll need a remote in each of the bedrooms for the kids or else they'll just argue and I can't be doing with that!

I don't want to pay for a monthly subscription any more.

If it lasts a year, I've got about another £400 to play with after buying the matrix - and I can ebay the 3 sky + HD boxes which will be surplus to requirements to round it up to £1k all in !!

Blimey, that's a s**t load of cash to waste EACH YEAR on TV !

Open to ideas guys.

40inches

posted on 11/2/13 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
A FreeSat box will connect to the SKY dish using the existing leads (a straight swap).
You will need a FreeSat +PVR, they are around £200, the best ones are Humax or Samsung.
Richer Sounds are selling the 320gb Humax FreeSat PVR for £80 Linky Be quick though!
Blimey! just had another look, it's also HD!!!!

[Edited on 11-2-13 by 40inches]

David Jenkins

posted on 11/2/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Get a Freesat box with a HDD - you can plug the Sky dish straight into it. Get one that will do HD if that's your thing.

Fewer channels, still containing rubbish, but at least it's free!

whitestu

posted on 11/2/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
We have that Humax box and it works really well.

Stu

britishtrident

posted on 11/2/13 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
For multi-room; Most Sky dishes fitted over the last few years have multi-output LNB's to install Freesat in other rooms all that is required is to run an additional co-axial cable from one of the spare outputs to a cheap (i.e.. £35 from Asda ) Freesat receiver. Doing it this way different channels can then be watched in different rooms.

If the dish isn't already fitted with an multi-output LNB then it won't break the bank to buy one and fit it but take car to buy the correct type as many Sky dishes are not the standard shape.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

whitestu

posted on 11/2/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If the dish isn't already fitted with an multi-output LNB then it won't break the bank to buy one and fit it but take car to buy the correct type as many Sky dishes are not the standard shape.

I bought a 4 way lnb from Amazon for £4.99!

Not Anumber

posted on 11/2/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I rang Sky to cancel the service as we just seemed to be paying for stuff we didnt watch and I had a moral objection to the Murdochs continuing the breath the air on this fine planet.
They quoted £ 10 a month to keep the ability to record free channels on on the Skyplus box which didnt seem a bad alternative as we had quite a lot of stuff stored we wouldnt want to lose. I then asked them if they could do anything better and for a further £ 2 a month they let us keep the existing channels just without HD. So one phone call got the monthly fee dropped from £ 36 a month to £ 12 a month.

puma931

posted on 11/2/13 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get Sky F1 with this £12 option?

quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
I rang Sky to cancel the service as we just seemed to be paying for stuff we didnt watch and I had a moral objection to the Murdochs continuing the breath the air on this fine planet.
They quoted £ 10 a month to keep the ability to record free channels on on the Skyplus box which didnt seem a bad alternative as we had quite a lot of stuff stored we wouldnt want to lose. I then asked them if they could do anything better and for a further £ 2 a month they let us keep the existing channels just without HD. So one phone call got the monthly fee dropped from £ 36 a month to £ 12 a month.

40inches

posted on 11/2/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They tried this with me, but when pushed they admitted it was only for 6 months, then back to full price

splitrivet

posted on 12/2/13 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

They tried this with me, but when pushed they admitted it was only for 6 months, then back to full price

Same here, have you looked at talktalk, unlimited BB, on demand TV, PVR, 24/7 landline calls, £15 approx a month plus line rental pay that 12 months in advance and get it for £9.50 a month if you want Sky you can pay a tenner a month and get that as well which I did but kicked that in the head and now just download anything I want to watch on Sky or discovery. They were giving 12 months free Lovefilm instant but I think that offers finished.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 12/2/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Ninehigh

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Plug your computer into the tv, get iplayer and the likes, then "legally aquire" the rest of what you want to watch

Plus with it not being a tv you don't need a licence

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Plug your computer into the tv, get iplayer and the likes, then "legally aquire" the rest of what you want to watch

Plus with it not being a tv you don't need a licence

It's funny you say that - I already have a 42" plasma screen which doesn't have a television receiver in it in the man cave... maybe... just maybe...

Jasper

posted on 12/2/13 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
We have both a HTPC (Home Theatre PC) and a Humax PVR on Freesat plugged into the big TV, both connected with Cat5 to the router. We've found we are watching more and more on the various iPlayers via the PC than on the PVR. The only thing that's still a problem is that 4OD do not have an HD option yet, other than that it's MUCH more useful than the PVR.

You can download all the TV series you could ever want, along with movies. If you want to be fully legal you've got all the Netflix and Lovefilm options too.

You can build or buy an HTPC for about £300, PVR box from about £80-200. I have no idea why anyone would want to throw they're money at the Murdochs when there's better options available.

And BTW - you still need a license to watch iPlayer and I do think it's worth every penny, we watch so much BBC.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

40inches

posted on 12/2/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
We have both a HTPC (Home Theatre PC) and a Humax PVR on Freesat plugged into the big TV, both connected with Cat5 to the router. We've found we are watching more and more on the various iPlayers via the PC than on the PVR. The only thing that's still a problem is that 4OD do not have an HD option yet, other than that it's MUCH more useful than the PVR.

You can download all the TV series you could ever want, along with movies. If you want to be fully legal you've got all the Netflix and Lovefilm options too.

You can build or buy an HTPC for about £300, PVR box from about £80-200. I have no idea why anyone would want to throw they're money at the Murdochs when there's better options available.

And BTW - you still need a license to watch iPlayer and I do think it's worth every penny, we watch so much BBC.

You only need a TV licence if you watch iPlayer live, not if you only use it to catch up.BBC info

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.