Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Temporary insurance question
swanny

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Temporary insurance question

Hello all,

I have a friend at needs to borrow a car for three to four months, I also have a spare car that spends most of Its time sitting on our drive.
I could put her on our insurance but I'm afraid that if she has a crash it will affect the no claims in not just that car but the family car and the kit car which together could be a lot.

I know there are some short term insurers but I thought these were just for a few days. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of situation?

Thanks

Paul

[Edited on 12/2/13 by swanny]

[Edited on 12/2/13 by swanny]

owelly

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
I used these guys to insure my Ambulance for a day.
http://www.aviva.co.uk/short-term-car-insurance/
It was £17 for 24 hrs. I then used them to insure he Ambo for a weekend and I think it was £22 for three days. They offer up to 28 days a a ime so it could be worth getting a quote. The entire system is on-line and very painless!

Failing that, just ask your friend to arrange her own insurance and make sure you have a copy of the policy and keep checking every so often on ASKMID to make sure the car is still covered!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
It's unlikely the friend would be able to insure the car herself as she isn't the Registered Ownwer/Keeper. Ins Co's tend to be awkward about this (or maybe it's just me )
britishtrident

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Temporary cover although there is no problem with her not owning the car the costs would be sky high.

I would sugest she takes out full cover in her own name and you record her as the registered keeper --- this dosen't imply ownership.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
It's unlikely the friend would be able to insure the car herself as she isn't the Registered Ownwer/Keeper. Ins Co's tend to be awkward about this (or maybe it's just me )

I've found they up it a little, but then again when I've done this the registered owner was the missus

It'll probably work out cheaper for them to get a yearly policy rather than temp ones for 4 months

sdh2903

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above, temp insurance works out ok for a day or 2's cover after that it gets expensive. For 3 or 4 months a full policy is the way to go.

ChrisW

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Don't you get 14 days 'cooling off' period on telephone insurance sales? Just take out a regular policy, pay in instalments, then cancel within 14 days. They just charge you pro-rata for the days you've used.

On the 1-day insurance, does anyone know how long it takes to be on cover from signing up on the website? I mean, could you go and see a car, decide to buy it, insure it online, then drive it home more-or-less straight away?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Cannot see why not, you can specify the time you want the cover to start and cannot see why that shouldn't be in 5 mins time
owelly

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought the Ambo, used my phones tinterweb to arrange cover and pay for it. As soon as the cover note was emailed to my phone, I was good to go. It took about ten minutes.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've done exactly this with a friend - he only wanted to borrow SWMBO's wheels for a couple of weeks while he found a new car. We cancelled SWMBO's insurance, he started his own.

That was 12 months ago and he's still got it !

se7en

posted on 12/2/13 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Temporary cover although there is no problem with her not owning the car the costs would be sky high.

I would suggest she takes out full cover in her own name and you record her as the registered keeper --- this doesn't imply ownership.

The driver of the vehicle DOES NOT need to be the registered keeper. Insurance can be arranged for anyone that you (the owner and registered keeper) have given permission to drive your vehicle.

Short term insurance would work out to be very expensive. The driver would be better taking out insurance for your vehicle (monthly payments) and then terminating the insurance when they had finished borrowing your vehicle.

I have never had any problem with insurance companies regarding the insurance for a borrowed vehicle. My brother who lives in Australia would come home every couple of years for about two months at a time. I would lend him one of my cars and he would insure it in his name and cancel the policy when he returns to Aus.

HTH

Tom

britishtrident

posted on 12/2/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Don't you get 14 days 'cooling off' period on telephone insurance sales? Just take out a regular policy, pay in instalments, then cancel within 14 days. They just charge you pro-rata for the days you've used.

On the 1-day insurance, does anyone know how long it takes to be on cover from signing up on the website? I mean, could you go and see a car, decide to buy it, insure it online, then drive it home more-or-less straight away?

Chris

The cover can start wore or less instantly but it usually won't show up on the motor insurance database instantly, this also applies to normal insurance, some comapnies are quicker than other at getting data into the data base.

Better than that you can get *FREE* instant temporary insurance for one week if you buy a car at auction and are prepared to spend twenty minutes on the phone.

[/I]

Stott

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've insured cars that are not belonging to me by just doing it normally then paying installments and cancelling mid term as has been suggested above.

Whatever you do, don't bother changing the RK to her name as you'll just end up making your car less desireable come resale, but I'm sure you already know that

coyoteboy

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Canceling part way through usually commands about a 90% charge?

Stott

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Not with the right companies, I guess it would pay to read the small print but I've done it with LV and Elephant with no penalty, just the pro rata payments. It's important to pay monthly though I think, as paying up front tends to lend itself to them hanging on to your money rather than you just not paying for the 3/6 months you don't need the insurance.
JoelP

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Canceling part way through usually commands about a 90% charge?

Ive never found that, ive cancelled a few policies and had a proportional refund minus the normal administration charge, of about £30. Do check terms and conditions though!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
LV now charge for cancellation istr £39

[/I]

coyoteboy

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ive never found that, ive cancelled a few policies and had a proportional refund minus the normal administration charge, of about £30. Do check terms and conditions though!

Hmm just checked mine and it basically tapers off the refund by about the 5 month mark to 90%, with no refund at all after 8 months, plus a £35 cancellation fee! Must be because I pay it all up front.

[Edited on 12/2/13 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.