Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know how a scooter engine mount works?
smart51

posted on 17/2/13 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know how a scooter engine mount works?

... Or what it does?

Here's a link to one on eBay with a picture.

PIAGGIO FLY 125 4T 2008 08 ENGINE SUSPENSION MOUNT BRACKET CHEAP UK POSTAGE | eBay

The tube at the bottom has bearings in it and a long bolt goes through it to mount it to the frame and is the main pivot. The tube above it is another pivot. The top part fastens to the engine casing/trailing arm. Why so much articulation?

The reason I ask is that I'vebuilt a three wheeler with a scooter rear end. In high speed corners, there feels like a bit of flex in the rear end. I'm thinking of making something more rigid to combat the extra forces of a trike that a scooter doesn't have because it leans into corners. To do it properly, I'd like to understand what the scooter part is trying to do. clearly they wouldn't have made it complicated if simple is good enough. any ideas?

[Edited on 17-2-2013 by smart51]

Peteff

posted on 17/2/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a rubber mount in there as well, it looks like it has a damper built into it ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Slimy38

posted on 17/2/13 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is it anything to do with the articulation in rising rate motorcycle suspension?

http://www.promecha.com.au/leverage_linkages.htm

I remember when the bearings in my bikes linkage were worn the bike felt extremely 'flexible' on the back end.

smart51

posted on 17/2/13 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is there a rubber mount in there as well, it looks like it has a damper built into it ?

The round thing, top left is rubber with holes in it. it allows some movement but limits it.

smart51

posted on 17/2/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Is it anything to do with the articulation in rising rate motorcycle suspension?

http://www.promecha.com.au/leverage_linkages.htm

The coil overs are right at the back, so not rising rate as per that article.

quote:
I remember when the bearings in my bikes linkage were worn the bike felt extremely 'flexible' on the back end.

It feels like something that should be fixed is moving above a certain load. I've checked and it is all tight. My assumption is that the higher lateral force of a trike may be causing something in the linkage to move in a way it shouldn't.

[Edited on 17-2-2013 by smart51]

nick205

posted on 17/2/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you've checked, but is tyre pressure playing a part? The extra load from the cabin scooter might be affecting the way the tyre behaves under higher and more lateral loading.

smart51

posted on 17/2/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
The rear tyre pressure affects the ride noticeably but it hasn't affected the feeling of flex in the rear end. That's not to say the tyre isn't playing a part.

I'm still trying to figure out how the 3 pivot swing arm works. I can't find a description on the Internet. The rubber bush allows the engine to move up and down a little. I guess it allows some movement when getting on and off the throttle.

on_eighty_runner

posted on 3/3/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had a runner sp180 and at idle there is a fair bit of vibration from the engine.

The engine pivot is offset from the frame pivot to allow vibration fore and aft to be permitted via the larger soft rubber do-nut.
The right and left sides are welded on each piece to keep the engine pivot parallel with the frame even if it moves fore/aft and up/down.

This is not fitted on the 50 cc's for vibration and obviously cost reasons.

there are lots of 125 piaggios around, have a look at one after a cold start and its all clear, you'll see it all jumping around.

You could try hard mount, but there may be later fatigue problems.

It was a very fast scooter but I do remember the back end a bit loose at times when hitting a pothole on a corner.

Crankshaft snapped on the a46 at 80 mph, engine rebuilt and stolen and written off the next weekend!

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.