Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ST170 CAM BELT KIT SAME AS ZETEC ?
monck

posted on 21/2/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
ST170 CAM BELT KIT SAME AS ZETEC ?

Hi i need a cam belt kit for my st170 engine ..

Some sites sell a kit i have never seen they list it for the st170 others the sell the same kit as a blacktop zetec for it ..

Looking at pics of the st170's the tensioner pulley ect look same as a zetec

Anyone know for sure ?

Ryan

[Edited on 21/2/13 by monck]

Paul Turner

posted on 22/2/13 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Why not go to your local Ford emporium and buy a genuine kit for an ST170. In my experience Ford prices are very little more than factors and you get the same OEM quality fitted new. Would never buy something as important as a cam belt off a website, probably a cheapo plasticine copy.
monck

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I think you've missed the point of my question im not trying to by a dirt cheap part ..

I actually have a genuine new kit for a blacktop zetec hence the question ..
And as a ST170 IS a zetec block its reasonable to think there the same

My local Ford parts place want over £100 for the kit that's more that half of what i payed for the engine

All i want to know is if its the same ? Some company's/motor factors tell me the blacktop zetec kit fits st170 also , Others say i need a diff-rent kit in which the tensioners look nothing like the ones fitted to a st170 ..
So which is right im away from my engine at current so cant compare the blacktop ones i have

Ryan

Paul Turner

posted on 23/2/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
You said in your original post "Hi i need a cam belt kit for my st170 engine .." but now you say "I actually have a genuine new kit for a blacktop zetec hence the question ."

How is that the same question.

The answer is still pretty much the same, ask your local Ford emporium if the same part applies to both engines.

With regards to cost if you are quibbling about £100 for a cam belt you have the wrong hobby. Ford recommend changing every 10 years, that's £10 a year or less than 2 gallons of petrol.

As I remember you destroyed your brand new Blacktop recently because you saved money in the wrong place, surely you don't want to do it again.

Do it right and do it once.

monck

posted on 23/2/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Paul i do apologize for the first bit as i did not state i had a blacktop kit your right but i was just trying to find out if it was different if it wasn't i would have used this ..

Regarding my blacktop i had a sump made yes (You may view this as cutting corners) But it was by someone who makes loads on this site as me like alot on here cant justify £500 quid on a cast Raceline sump even if we would like .. (Im the only person that's had trouble )

I do disagree about non genuine parts but im sure as you say there are some "Plasticine copys" also. ..
But for example over the years i have bought a few drive-shafts all non genuine ones at around half the price and even driving the cars hard i have never had a single issue EVER!!

Seems maybe we got of on the wrong foot and im sorry if i came across in the wrong way but if i was skimping on things id do what most do and just not bother with a new belt and tensioner at all ..

Ryan

Paul Turner

posted on 23/2/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monck

Regarding my blacktop i had a sump made yes (You may view this as cutting corners) But it was by someone who makes loads on this site as me like alot on here cant justify £500 quid on a cast Raceline sump even if we would like .. (Im the only person that's had trouble )

Ryan

I bought a Dunnell sump in 2001, cost me £240 all in. Never had an issue. If I were buying again I would get a Scholar sump, exactly the same but cheaper, in truth the current price is only £2 more than I paid 12 years ago.

http://www.scholarengines.co.uk/Lowline%20sump.htm

Unlike a modified tin Blacktop sump it is full length and full width and holds the correct amount of oil. A modified Blacktop sump holds insufficient unless you spend loads of time extending it to Silvertop sizes. Its one redeeming feature is the fact that tin is easy for DIY welding, alloy is not of course.

There is absolutely no need to pay £500+ for a Raceline sump and I have never advised anyone to buy one. Same applies to the water rail, the Ford stat works perfectly.

I am all for saving money but after 25 years with kit cars I think I can spot a bodge that will cost money in the long run.

monck

posted on 23/2/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i admit im a rookie compared with you (3 years) But at the time i had people saying they had no issue shorted ones so i just went with it
Im already planning on a scholar sump on my st170 engine and i already have the scholar blacktop kit / wind-age tray fitted ..

Yes i never did know why people spend loads on a water rail when the ford stats no issue ..

Ill go in now with my tensioners and compare but im sure it uses a blacktop kit ...

Ill let you know if it is or not

Ryan

[Edited on 23/2/13 by monck]

Marcus

posted on 23/2/13 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Call me old school, but I'd cringe at £100 for a cambelt kit too! (not to mention 250quid for a sump)

My car runs a crossflow and the timing chain rattles. The fact that it still rattles after 2 years shows how much of a tight arse I am, BUT I don't thing I'm in the wrong hobby.
I take as much enjoyment out of fixing cars as I do driving them and try to adopt the original Locost ethos of making everything you can and if not, use the cheapest good stuff available (i think I spend too much time researching stuff as a result!).

Kit cars are not for me, I admit, but Locosts most certainly are.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 23/2/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monck

Ill let you know if it is or not

Ryan

[Edited on 23/2/13 by monck]

And the verdict ? as it would be handy to know for the refresh.

Rob Allison

posted on 24/2/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Think the ST170 is the same as the black top as its the base that the ST was built on. The problem with Belt kits is the tensioner. Even the Ford supplied plactic ones fail. Spoke to one engine builder who will not fit belt kits due to the tensioners failing, leaving the owners to fit them.

Uprated tensioner link, not tried them though.
http://www.ikengineering.co.uk/miscellaneous%20components.html

This is the Ford supplied part: Dayco part number is KTB408

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.