Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ready mixed concrete cost
smart51

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ready mixed concrete cost

I've had a quote for concreting the access at the back of the house. The guy says I need 13m3 of concrete at £114 per m3. Is that really what it costs?

BenB

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right to me. When I looked into it for my house renovation it was about £100 but it depends whether you're having it mixed on site or dumped straight in from the mixer, whether it needs to pumped or not, whether they can arrange delivery or yours for when they've got another job on etc etc.
In the end I got some burly men with a cement mixture and lots of patience to do it for less! But I'm not sure that's an option when you need 13m3

dave r

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
cant remember what mine was a few years ago, but it wasnt as much as that........

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

whiz

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
concrete

I get it trade price it works out at about £70 a cube for a 2:4:1 mix guys who maybe buy larger quantities may get a better price the lorries usually carry between 7 or 8 cube so you would need two deliveries there would be delivery on that as well depending on distance from the plant.
Andy

smart51

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
It would have to be pumped about 10m from the roadside, so I guess that's included in the cost. Labour is on top. I was thinking more around the £70 mark but it was just a guess.

I want to pave the area along the back to the garage at the bottom of the garden. The area I wanted done is 28m long and 3.8m wide for most of the length. He wanted to put down 5" of concrete onto compacted hardcore. The total price from excavation to laying concrete was £4200, plus £500 because you can't get the wagon to the site. I need a dumper truck and a "360" (degree movement digger?) he said. Sounds a lot to me. How else can I pave the area for about half the cost?

philw

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I payed £100 per metre with a bit of haggling 7 years ago when I did my garage base

Must try harder

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just had some dome by a mix on site company (really VERY impressed, and cheaper than the readymix people)
That was £95 m3 plus VAT. Footings mix a few quid less.

So spot on I would say.

Just add up how much the materials cost, I reckon about £75+vat if I had to buy it in and mix myself, so happy to pa the extra and let them mix it for me.

trextr7monkey

posted on 24/2/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi what weight will be travelling over the slabs? With all that hardcore and concrete it soundslike a bit of overkill, most of thetime we put in hardcore then quarry waste which is compacted then slabs are laid on a mortar bed.
Hth mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

will121

posted on 24/2/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say that was a to bad price for 100m2 of concrete at a decent thickness and base, could get other quotes to compare. But also considder someone else might do it for half the price with 2" crap concrete on a soft base you will be digging back up in 2 years, also with that amount of concrete considder water run Off to avoid flooding.
smart51

posted on 24/2/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be driving a car over to to the garage. My next door neighbour may at some point drive his transit over it. Or a JCB. If 5" over hardcore is too much, what is about right?

The site is on a 1 in 10 slope, so water run off isn't a problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.