Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you tension your chain
number-1

posted on 2/3/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
How do you tension your chain

As above...how do you tension your chain? Any pics of your setup would be great

Im going to instal a new chain when things warm up a bit and thought id get a few ideas from those in the know

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/3/13 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I was into nikes back in the day, I found the quickest way was to twist the throttle. Failing that a chain tesioner works quite well.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Peteff

posted on 3/3/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
If it's gone really slack put a bigger sprocket on I would think it's not so critical in a car application as there is no movement compared with a bike swing arm. A sprung arm with a dérailleur type roller setup would be enough.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Slimy38

posted on 3/3/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Remembering a certain TV programme that shall remain nameless, on that car the rear diff was movable back and forth by a small amount, any bigger slack was taken up by removing links.

Just don't get someone else to hold the chain while you use a hammer to press the pins out...

mark chandler

posted on 3/3/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do needs to be very rigid, simplistically look at go-cart tensioning systems where you have the engine sliding on rails that are adjusted with a bolt to push the carriage forward and clamps to the bed.

In your case it is probably easier to fix the engine solidly and move the diff.

You could slide aka go-carts or have a pivot, whatever you do it will need bracing between either end of the chain, think motorbike, you would have a big fat swinging arm between the two sprockets.

Regards Mark

Minicooper

posted on 3/3/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Some diffs are pivoted in a carrier, some slide in a diff carrier, yours looks like it would be shimmed going by the photos in your gallery

Cheers
David

[Edited on 3/3/13 by Minicooper]

number-1

posted on 4/3/13 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
If i was to shim it, would i risk over tensioning the top? Its the bottom of the chain that was too loose?
Slimy38

posted on 4/3/13 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
If i was to shim it, would i risk over tensioning the top? Its the bottom of the chain that was too loose?

??? You can't overtighten half of a loop, the other half will simply take up the slack. As long as you leave the car in neutral (or lift the rear wheels off the floor) then the chain will be free to rotate and settle.

Uphill Racer

posted on 11/3/13 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Did mine like this.

number-1

posted on 11/3/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps

Uphill racer...Have you got a pic of it fitted? Random question but what PCD are the wheels on the profile pic?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.