Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bit of Oulton Park Action, 1st March
AdamR20

posted on 4/3/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Bit of Oulton Park Action, 1st March

Hello all,

Here's a couple of vids in my Westy at Oulton on Friday.

Cheers,
Adam

bi22le

posted on 4/3/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Nice vids, what data logging are you using including carera?

The middle vid is a great example of why I feel an instructor is useless in a se7en. Tips can be picked up alot easier by going out in somebody elses car that can show you better lines or you tubing incar footage from 750mc. Hand signals are useless and just take your concentration away from whats going on.

Anyone agree \ disagree?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

AdamR20

posted on 4/3/13 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! It's a DL1 with GoPro Hero 3 Black camera. The middle video uses an external mic, and the other two are the on-board one.

Yeah, I must say I agree to an extent... Even if he (or she!) can guess exactly how much 'too early' to give the signal to give you time to interpret and react to it, it's not that useful without some explanation. I would much rather do a couple of laps, come in for a chat, then go back out again for another few laps.

For example, I'm turning in too early in a couple of places - he identified that and the video (and data) confirms it, but it's only a small amount and you'd never be able to work it out from the hand signals.

Videos of other people's sessions do help I think, but mainly for learning the circuit and lines in general. Specifics will be different when you are there and your car may behave differently IMO.

Good point by the way - anyone else?

Edit: Noticed you are using Trackmaster on your video. I used to use that before the DL1. Works amazingly well for the cost! One thing I found helped was a bluetooth GPS device (about £35 on eBay), which usually allows 5 or 10hz and is a bit more accurate Edit again, just read the comments on your video. I'll shut up now! haha

[Edited on 4/3/13 by AdamR20]

[Edited on 4/3/13 by AdamR20]

Pat_T

posted on 4/3/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 L redtop?

if so your car looks a similar spec to mine and watching the 3rd vid your laptimes seem broadly similar to last time i was there in Oct (just sub-2 mins? 1:58ish?)

I wonder how are gearing differs though as I was only using 3rd and 4th!

Lines look pretty good to me but I'm no expert I've only done two days at Oulton. Hope might get there again this year

www.instagram.com/patroclueus

rb968

posted on 4/3/13 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Superb. Looks nice and quick judging by the speed you got up to compared with the last time I drove Oulton in a Jaguar XKR-S.

Great motivation to get mine finished and get off to Cheshire!

Rich

AdamR20

posted on 4/3/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
2.0 L redtop?

if so your car looks a similar spec to mine and watching the 3rd vid your laptimes seem broadly similar to last time i was there in Oct (just sub-2 mins? 1:58ish?)

I wonder how are gearing differs though as I was only using 3rd and 4th!

Lines look pretty good to me but I'm no expert I've only done two days at Oulton. Hope might get there again this year

That's the one! Pushing out about 225bhp from the last RR graph I have (3 years ago).

Yeah, in traffic it looks to be about 1:58s, clear track was 1:55s. Wouldn't mind a few laps without a passenger adding 10% extra weight next time

The gearing is pretty long - 3.92 diff, 2.83, 1.81, 1.26, 1, 0.87 box and 205/60r13 rear tyres - so 2nd is good for about 75mph, 3rd ~110mph and 4th ~135mph.

Get it done - it's a cracking track (as you know).

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Superb. Looks nice and quick judging by the speed you got up to compared with the last time I drove Oulton in a Jaguar XKR-S.

Great motivation to get mine finished and get off to Cheshire!

Rich

Thanks - glad it's been useful

PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/3/13 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that car looks like it pulls well and handles well, I also timed your clear lap was around 1m 55seconds, thats a very good time for Oulton, with a passenger aswell, but I agree with bi22le though, a total waste of time having a instructor in your car with hand signals in a open top car, it just puts you off, your better off going round in a tin top for instruction, but loose your passenger, and I am sure that car could do a sub 1m 50s, I want one

welderman

posted on 5/3/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Some cracking footage there, at one point you pass a "7" typr car, its exhaust is about a foot long sticking out

i need a track car

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

AdamR20

posted on 5/3/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Yes that car looks like it pulls well and handles well, I also timed your clear lap was around 1m 55seconds, thats a very good time for Oulton, with a passenger aswell, but I agree with bi22le though, a total waste of time having a instructor in your car with hand signals in a open top car, it just puts you off, your better off going round in a tin top for instruction, but loose your passenger, and I am sure that car could do a sub 1m 50s, I want one

Cheers. Spent most of winter reading some Carroll Smith books (highly recommended by the way) and working on the setup, it now handles completely different (in a good way!) to last time I used it on track. Anything is better than corner entry oversteer mind you...

Yeah, the instructor was a bit offputting / pointless at times like you said. As an example, there's a bit at 5:55 in the 2nd video where I deliberately lift off to kick the rear out in order to point the nose through the corner, then get back on the power. He can sense this and you can see his hand signals telling me to wait before re-applying the throttle. Thing is, I was already doing what he was trying to tell me to do before he'd had chance to give the signal. If I'd have had to see the signal, interpret it and then react to it the car would have spun.

But, he was a sound guy with clearly lots of experience and skill, and the couple of tips he gave me about lines did make sense, so it's not all bad

I doubt the car would do sub 1:50s in it's current guise, especially with me behind the wheel! But it would be fun to try

quote:
Originally posted by welderman
Some cracking footage there, at one point you pass a "7" typr car, its exhaust is about a foot long sticking out
i need a track car

Thanks mate. Haha, yes, he was having some noise issues - first time I went past I thought it was broken or something!

Had a look at your thread, how far off is the build now? Mine's fully road legal so it often gets a blast over the top of Rivi (I'm only just the other side of Chorley from you).

RK

posted on 5/3/13 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting. I signed up for a full weekend school, but because the the issues previously mentioned, they didn't want any open topped cars, so I'm taking my Audi A4 Avant (the biggest tank they've ever seen out there I'm sure). You are supposed to learn how to drive, not perfect your 7 driving, if that makes sense. Anyhow, I can't wait!
AdamR20

posted on 5/3/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Makes perfect sense - one of the most well-renowned schools over here uses a Toyota Avensis. As you said, the idea is to teach you how to drive rather than drive a specific car. I'm sure you'll have a great couple of days!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.