Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Rather long wheelbase
chrisjb111

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Rather long wheelbase

Hi all.

I picked up a bit of a deal last year (or at least what I thought was a deal), it was a part built locost using an mx5 as a donor. I have been reading up quite a bit on locost & haynes roadster's etc as I am a novice to this, I'm a lot happier with electronics .

I have had a bit of time recently to see exactly what I have bought and the frame has always looked a bit on the long side. I have measured the wheelbase and track and the results are:

Wheelbase = 2720mm
Front Track = 1300mm
Rear Track = 1400mm

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it might handle like?

I have been reading that 1.61:1 is the best ratio to have and am a bit concerned that it might handle like a bus.

It's not the end of the world if the results are that it's heading for the bus lane, just means a slight change in direction (or change in frame).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Chris.

iank

posted on 5/3/13 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
The 1.6 ratio is a bit of a myth as the "best" ratio depends what you want to do and people seem to assume the golden ratio MUST mean something for handling.

But at around 2.0 it's at the extreme end of a road car. It will be very stable at speed but not the most nimble - that's why drag racers are long and narrow, 1.3 would be very agile in the corners but nervous at speed on the straight - like karts.

Personally I'd be thinking about chopping a bit out of the middle - presumably it's been designed around the standard prop-shaft?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

chrisjb111

posted on 5/3/13 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks iank.

I has been designed round the standard mx5 prop-shaft / gearbox / rear diff etc. I was looking at cutting a bit out the middle or a bit off the front but I am worried about the amount of work involved.

Was contemplating getting rid, or finding a new chassis. Not quite sure what to do, just don't want to get it finished and find out it corners like a bag of spanners .

Thanks for the help.

twybrow

posted on 6/3/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
If it is based upon dimensions of a MX-5 - they are not exactly badly handling cars are they?!
adampage

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
But they're not...

... standard mx-5 measurements. They must've been altered, so 'based on' but not 'the same as'.

MX5 are about 1.43cm track & 2.26m wheelbase, so the ratio is more like 1.6-1.7.

Not sure why the builder would go for a big increase in length.....

Ad

scudderfish

posted on 6/3/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
It must have a very empty engine bay as if the prop is not modified the engine has to be pretty much the same distance from the rear axle as the MX5.
TQ_uk

posted on 6/3/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm intrigued, can you stick some pictures up?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.